[REMOVE ADS]

25 motown alumni mia from "official" hitsville museum online posting

MOTOWN ALUMNI ALERT

The following names are glaring omissions from the “Official” Motown Alumni List as Released and posted online By the Hitsville Museum in Nov. 2012 –

Abrams, Al
    Berger, Judy
    Balk, Harry
    Becker, Richard
    Blinky
    Bowlus, Richard
    Cogger, Richard
    Coleman, Loyal
    Gerrard, Glenn
    Lynch, Ronald
    Mack, Sammy
    Maylo, Ronald
    Mclean, Michael
    Nixon, Tom
    Olhsson, Robert
    Pinson, Ralph
    Rachal, Thomas
    Sitts, Tom
    Taylor, Sherri
    Terrana, Ralph
    Walsh, Peter
    Warren, Douglas
    Wasnewsky, Leonard
    Windt, John
    Yeszin, Bernard
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    May I strongly suggest that whoever compiled and approved this official Motown Alumni list take a crash course on Motown by reading a few authentic Motown History books.

I have been in contact with the Museum. If there are other names MIA, please let me know ASAP. Thank you.
    SEE ORIGINAL LIST: Motown Alumni - Bringing the Magic of Motown to ... - Motown Museum
    www.motownmuseum.org/motown-sound/motown-alumni/‎

Al,
    When I had dinner with Harry, Clay McMurray and Pat Cosby, Clay told us that he had a meeting with someone at the museum asking for a list of all the Motown alumni, which he provided. When the list came out, they had omitted Clay's name.
    In all honesty, I wasn't all that impressed with the staff when I visited a couple of weeks back. They seemed confused as to who I might be and asked me if I was in the data base, then having me fill out an information sheet. To add further insult, I had to pay for my grandson and son in law just to take a fast look at the studio. I realize most of the staff was young and probably not even born when most of us were there, but a little sharpening up should be in order.

No excuse. It's like leaving out Piccaso and screwing up who Mozart is!! Youd think theyd have learned by now.

Sounds like they need you to go back and take care of business, gentlemen.

You got that right, Dave. I had called the museum three times to speak with Robin Terry, the director of the museum, to find out when she might be in. We have missed one another in the past. Each time I called I was asked if I would like her voice mail, which I said I did.. Instead, I got the voice mail of her executive secretary who never retuned my calls. I swear, I would have fired the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Al,
    When I had dinner with Harry, Clay McMurray and Pat Cosby, Clay told us that he had a meeting with someone at the museum asking for a list of all the Motown alumni, which he provided. When the list came out, they had omitted Clay's name.
    In all honesty, I wasn't all that impressed with the staff when I visited a couple of weeks back. They seemed confused as to who I might be and asked me if I was in the data base, then having me fill out an information sheet. To add further insult, I had to pay for my grandson and son in law just to take a fast look at the studio. I realize most of the staff was young and probably not even born when most of us were there, but a little sharpening up should be in order.
    Ralph, are you serious? They are now charging a fee to see the studio? And they made YOU pay? This is real news to me. We never paid in the past and when i was associated with them, we never charged.

You got that right, Dave. I had called the museum three times to speak with Robin Terry, the director of the museum, to find out when she might be in. We have missed one another in the past. Each time I called I was asked if I would like her voice mail, which I said I did.. Instead, I got the voice mail of her executive secretary who never retuned my calls. I swear, I would have fired the lot of them.
    Pete Rivera mentioned he had a similar experience there recently. We all know about Mary Wilson's very public treatment there back in 2000, which they tried to make amends later. This is disappointing to me.

AL, they do not have you on the offical Motown Alumni list? This is incredible. Do they know or even care about what they are doing up there these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by stalebagel View Post
    I have been in contact with the Museum. If there are other names MIA, please let me know ASAP. Thank you.
    While you are at it, please have them correct a first name:

Mallett-Edwards, Sandra

to

Mallett-Edwards, Saundra

Jeff

In the past, when I have visited and Mrs. Edwards was still in charge, I would stop in to see her first. If she wasn't in, the security guard would take me into her office to call her to say hello. I don't think I will be visiting the museum anymore unless they sharpen things up there.

thomas96 Guest
    I find this to be absolutely ridiculous. They don't even have Blinky.... who even released an album on the label! They need to get it together over there.

In the past, when I have visited and Mrs. Edwards was still in charge, I would stop in to see her first. If she wasn't in, the security guard would take me into her office to call her to say hello. I don't think I will be visiting the museum anymore unless they sharpen things up there.
    Sounds like there is a complete disconnect with their past and that they are losing their history. They need someone in a management position that cares, like Andy and Harry care about the music.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Sounds like there is a complete disconnect with their past and that they are losing their history. They need someone in a management position that cares, like Andy and Harry care about the music.
    It is impossible for them to lose their history. They are right there in Detroit and there are too many friends, family members, neighbors and former co-workers outside of the music industry of most everyone ever associated with Motown that know the history. You may not understand that, but I do! I met one of Berry's early attorneys while sitting and waiting for a meeting in the lobby on E. 53rd in Manhattan about a year or so ago. He even had his tibits of Motown history to tell.

I think some are just being lazy and not doing what they have been charged to do.......effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Weren't you a part of the chorus claiming that Mirage was complaining too much? Ahem........

Quote Originally Posted by JL2648 View Post
    While you are at it, please have them correct a first name:

Mallett-Edwards, Sandra

to

Mallett-Edwards, Saundra

Jeff
    Jeff:

Thanks for that catch.

Will let the museum know and we'll see how long it takes them to post all the missing alumni and make the needed spelling corrections.

Al

Here it is just a day short of a month and 22 of the 25 alumni names are still MIA on the Motown Museum Alumni list.

Our esteemed moderator Ralph lucked out and so did Harry Balk. The powers-that-are at the Motown Museum decided to add their names along with Mike McLean's on May 5 -- and that was only after I brought their names to the attention of the museum along with my name and two others.

I keep sending the full list of MIA names to the Museum but nothing changes.

Al,
    if you scan the W's, you will come upon Williams, Sondra "Blinky", so the number drops to 21 MIA .

Thanks Carole -- good catch.

Wow! There are currently 1, 524 names listed. When the MIA are added, the total will climb to 1,545.
    And, as you suggest, there still may be others.

Your efforts are appreciated, Al. Such a shame, though.

Just wanted everyone to know that thanks to Allen Rawls at the Motown Museum all the MIA names are now where they always belonged on the Motown Museum Alumni list.
    Special thanks to Ralph, Marv, Jobeterob, Carole Cucumber and everyone else on the Forum who posted about this situation -- the credit for making this happen belongs to you.

Good to hear! I thought with a little patience this would all be rectified. I'm glad my small correction was included, too.

Jeff

SupremeBoy Guest
    Just wanted everyone to know that thanks to Allen Rawls at the Motown Museum all the MIA names are now where they always belonged on the Motown Museum Alumni list.
    Special thanks to Ralph, Marv, Jobeterob, Carole Cucumber and everyone else on the Forum who posted about this situation -- the credit for making this happen belongs to you.
    That is great news. Everyone who had a part in one of the greatest record labels this country has ever known deserves to get a "shout out". They played a part in history and should not soon be forgotten.

Gee Al, maybe the next time I stop in they will know who I am. Thanks for the effort.

Thank you Al for bringing this to our attention!

Marv

WOW! A very interesting list. I had no idea that Eddie Floyd, Hubert Laws, Otis Rush, Theresa Lindsay and Nina Simone were affiliated with Motown.

I found a few names that were not listed: James DeBarge, Margaret Johnson and Richard Pryor.

Is it possible to have the name Vermettya Boyster changed to Royster?

Thanks for this. I passed your suggestions on to the Motown Museum. They probably won't update the list again for at least 30 to 60 days.

Thanks for this. I passed your suggestions on to the Motown Museum. They probably won't update the list again for at least 30 to 60 days.
    Thanks a lot.