[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

20 Feet From Stardom - Opens June 14th!

Name:  Twenty ft.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  27.1 KB
    Check out the trailer for "20 Feet From Sardom" starring Darlene Love, Merry Clayton, Tata Vega, Lisa Fisher, Claudia Lennear, Judith Hill and many others.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/i...etfromstardom/
    Last edited by brother_love; 05-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.

If Lisa Fisher is apart of this, I am so there

She's one the main featured singers in the film that is spotlighted.
    Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    If Lisa Fisher is apart of this, I am so there

I am the engineer for The Motion Picture Academy's "Oscars Outdoors" outside screening facility right in Hollywood three blocks south of Sunset and Vine.
    Last Thursday we screened a pre-release of "20 Feet From Stardom" ! What a treat!
    But what was special is that we had Judith Hill singing at the grand piano on the lawn and then the Watters family and then Merry Clayton to knock it out of the park. At the end they all sang together in an impromptu acapella tune. Switching from screening mode to live performance mode was a bit of a challenge but all worked out quite well!
    Go see the movie. The joy of music is showcased here in a genuine and unique presentation. Mixing this live got my heart started as I really wanted the live performance to not be overwhelmed by the previous soundtrack. It wasn't. It turned out great. Weinstein Pictures doesn't pick stinkers. This is the real deal!
    Go see this picture!
    Cheers,
    Jay

The film and its subjects will be featured on CBS' Sunday Morning. The DVD is set for release soon.

I adore Darlene Love. She was on the fourth hour of The Today Show this morning and she was terrific. She talked about the movie and her career. She also sang some old time gospel acappella. I wish I could see the movie and I wish all involved much success.

~~Mary~~

Darlene was on Letterman last night discussing this film. It sounds terrific. I'd like to see it in a theatre rather than wait for the DVD.

smark21 Guest

Merry Clayton was on the Sunday Morning Show talking about her career as a backup singer for all the greats such as Ray Charles, the Rollong Stones, Aretha, the BeeGees, etc....

When I think of great backup singers who automatically comes to mind is Cissy Houston, Margie Hendricks, Darlene Love, and Lisa Fischer along with Merry.

S.S.

I'm eager to see the documentary if it plays Memphis. I thought the CBS Sunday Morning piece was too short and did not include enough singers.

Check out Alan Mercer's Profile on Merry.

http://amprofile.blogspot.com/2013/0...y-clayton.html

I'm puzzled as to the omission of Cissy Houston in the docu. Next to Darlene, she was probably the most-utilized first-call session singer in the industry in the '60s and '70s. It has also confounded me that, whenever she's been referenced in relation to Whitney, she has almost always been characterized as "gospel singer" [[which, granted, she certainly is, with a Grammy to prove it), but never is any mention made of The Sweet Inspirations in connection with her contributions to the industry. Do you suppose she was not interested in participating in the film? Maybe due to advanced years/frailty? Or maybe the filmmakers felt she's gotten so much publicity as it is? It just seems odd to me.

It's hard to fit everyone in when you only have about 90 minutes to tell a story. Cissy was interviewed but did not make the final cut along with about 30 other people who were also interviewed for the film. It's like when you are putting a puzzle together sometimes all the pieces don't always fit together, the same thing happens in editing a film.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I'm puzzled as to the omission of Cissy Houston in the docu. Next to Darlene, she was probably the most-utilized first-call session singer in the industry in the '60s and '70s. It has also confounded me that, whenever she's been referenced in relation to Whitney, she has almost always been characterized as "gospel singer" [[which, granted, she certainly is, with a Grammy to prove it), but never is any mention made of The Sweet Inspirations in connection with her contributions to the industry. Do you suppose she was not interested in participating in the film? Maybe due to advanced years/frailty? Or maybe the filmmakers felt she's gotten so much publicity as it is? It just seems odd to me.

BUT Cissy Houston should have been in this film. next to Darlene Love, she is one of the most important and celebrated session singers. IF one had to rate session singers in terms of their influence and importance , both Darlene LOVE and Cissy Houston would be at the top.

I agree with you. You can also add Clydie King and Venetta Fields to that endless list of great session singers who are unsung.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    BUT Cissy Houston should have been in this film. next to Darlene Love, she is one of the most important and celebrated session singers.
    Maybe you answered your own question. Cissy is important and celebrated. She is known for being a session singer, in a group, Whitney's mom etc. She has had a sort of stardom, and so whoever edited the film felt that the 20 Feet From Stardom title didn't apply to her. Darlene's story of her voice being used on other's records is a much more compelling story

No offense to Darlene Love, but we've heard her story before. She's had numerous opportunities to get her story out there. I would like to hear other singers' stories including those by Clydie King. The Andantes could have been included as well. Are there any male session singers in the film like Arnold McCuller?

David Lasley and Oren Waters are in the film. Arnold was interviewed and they shot one of his live shows but he too did not make the cut.
    No offense to Darlene Love, but we've heard her story before. She's had numerous opportunities to get her story out there. I would like to hear other singers' stories including those by Clydie King. The Andantes could have been included as well. Are there any male session singers in the film like Arnold McCuller?

Play dates for the film

http://twentyfeetfromstardom.com/dates

Can you tell us who else was interviewed and didnt make the cut? Im wondering if some of the singers are just happy to have done/do what they do? It always seems like there is a tone of "I should have been a star" when this topic has come up in other ways. Not talking about the movie necessarily. I think it's a great career to just be a background singer but I imagine there can be a lack of job security.

Two of the names that come to mind are Toni Wine and Ula Hedwig. Some of the singers that you will see in the film are Fanita James, Edna Wright, Patti Austin, David Lasley, Mabel John, Gloria Jones, The Waters, Janice Pendarvis, Cindy Mizelle, Lynn Malbry, Suzaye Green and Rose Stone just to name a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Can you tell us who else was interviewed and didnt make the cut? Im wondering if some of the singers are just happy to have done/do what they do? It always seems like there is a tone of "I should have been a star" when this topic has come up in other ways. Not talking about the movie necessarily. I think it's a great career to just be a background singer but I imagine there can be a lack of job security.

Thanks--so fascinating.l Very glad the Waters getting attention. When does it open in wide release?

Thanks--so fascinating.l Very glad the Waters getting attention. When does it open in wide release?
    Brother Love posted this link a few posts up
    http://twentyfeetfromstardom.com/dates

I checked it , and it opens in my area next week

Luke said something I agree with. Background singing is an art and it used to be a great career choice. Everybody can't do it. That's what I tell my students in my Glee club. I appreciate those who contribute to the work of others. The film has not been booked in Memphis. The most likely theater to play this here would be the Ridgeway Four [Hint Hint].
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-23-2013 at 12:42 PM.

I will not name any names, but I have solo albums by quite a few session singers who were very good session singers, but when their voice was the only voice out front, I had no interest. I imagine I was not the only one who had that opinion or they would have made more noise.

As to Cissy being in the film, she had quite a little succesful solo career for a while, so I don't think that she should have been in the fiim.

Why are both Jersey plays on the same date?

. . . . Are there any male session singers in the film like Arnold McCuller?
    And Jim Gilstrap? I'm looking forward to seeing and enjoying the film.

I was trying to thinking of Jim Gilstrap's name and couldn't call it.

I saw the movie tonight and enjoyed it very much. Enough that I plan to buy it when it becomes available.

Simply wonderful movie. I found Lisa Fisher's story fascinating and inspiring, her talent thrilling. Merry Clayton 's voice hitting the high notes on Gimme SHelter was isolated without music and people in the audience gasped at the thrill of it. Darlene Love should be as big a star as Streisand. Im going to buy it too. Any added attractions on the DVD? PS I was pleasantly surpirsed-the theater was packed!!
    Last edited by luke; 07-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Darlene, Merry, and Lisa and the Director- live interview .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Xk3N8pDkY

Planning to see it this weekend. Very much looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    I saw the movie tonight and enjoyed it very much. Enough that I plan to buy it when it becomes available.
    The DVD will be released on July 16th

I saw it this week and enjoyed it. Darlene Love has a great story that would make a good TV or HBO movie. Does anyone know if the Crystals can be considered the first Milli Vanilli? Since it was Darlene who recorded some of their hits, how were the Crystals able to perform them on stage.

A lot of group members wind up being background singers for the lead singer of the group , but none of those singers were included here. Susaye Greene of the Supremes was interviewed, but she wasn't interviewed as a Supreme, but as a background singer for Ray Charles.

Anyone who reads these boards should like the film.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I saw it this week and enjoyed it. Darlene Love has a great story that would make a good TV or HBO movie. Does anyone know if the Crystals can be considered the first Milli Vanilli? Since it was Darlene who recorded some of their hits, how were the Crystals able to perform them on stage.

A lot of group members wind up being background singers for the lead singer of the group , but none of those singers were included here. Susaye Greene of the Supremes was interviewed, but she wasn't interviewed as a Supreme, but as a background singer for Ray Charles.

Anyone who reads these boards should like the film.
    At one point, I think Darlene mentioned that her book was going to be turned into a film. But nothing has happened as of yet. I see that the book has been re-issued to capitalize on the film. There is a one page added to cover what has happened in her life since the book was originally published.

I don't think the Crystals can be compared to Milli Vanilli. Milli Vanilli did the vocals for none of their recordings until they were found out, and then released a cd as Rob and Fab. They even lipsynced in concert, although there was one embarrassing concert caught on tape where their track malfunctioned.

By comparison, the Crystals or at least LaLa sang on the majority of their records. And they certainly sang their recordings live, and garnered a good reputation as a live act. It was just unfortunate that Phil Spector felt that he could issue records under whatever name he pleased.

Darlene singing Da Do Ron Ron in the movie was misleading and just what she had complained about happening to her!

That was not planed and was just an inopportune moment. She didn’t even know Fanita and Gloria would be there, it was a total surprise. The ladies were asked if they could sing something together and they just jumped into a song that would be easy for all to remember. Not bad for being put on the spot.
    Darlene singing Da Do Ron Ron in the movie was misleading and just what she had complained about happening to her!

Darlene, Merry, and Lisa and the Director- live interview .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Xk3N8pDkY
    Did you catch the part where Merry Clayton confirms what I have been saying for years and that is she was also one of the backing vocals on Johnny Bristol's production of the Supremes, "Someday We'll Be Together".

Merry Clayton also claims to have been on the Bee Gees Stayin 'Alive. No dis, but I don't hear her on that.

Got you brother love. Great movie!! No Marv-I missed that! Dang.

Yes, at 8:20 Merry begins to tell the story about being a Supreme and not knowing she was being a Supreme. Check it out again.

Marv was talking about the You Tube interview posted above. She didn't mention it in the movie.

I have a feeling this film is to female background singers what SITSOM is to the Funk Brothers and Motown. It has gotten great reviews I cant wait for the DVD and parts that were on the cutting room floor.

Im a little confused about the memebers of the Blossoms. Did Gloria join before or after Jean King?

Im a little confused about the memebers of the Blossoms. Did Gloria join before or after Jean King?
    Gloria was in the group before Jean King. Jean was with them in the sixties up to the early seventies as I recall.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-09-2013 at 05:22 PM.