[REMOVE ADS]

pshark Guest

Good show. I liked it. But there is more behind it !!

pshark Guest
    A lot more. Its gonna take more than 1 hour to get deep into Clinton's story

for the people who don't get the channel or missed it you can watch the episode here

http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/sho...d=1188&id=3058

I'm about to watch it now.

Quote Originally Posted by MadLad View Post
    for the people who don't get the channel or missed it you can watch the episode here

http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/sho...d=1188&id=3058

Thank you Colton! I was hoping someone would have a link so that I could see the show. They don't carry TVONE on Cablevision on Long Island.

pshark Guest
    There's a few P-Funk members who is not too happy with this episode.
    Mallia Franklin & Garry Shider's death were not even mentioned. On the
    plus side we did get to hear the viewpoints of those who's voice is often
    unheard.

WOW Another eye opening episode.Did'nt know they were from my home town Newark NJ.......Question....If the legal documents looked to be missing a few lines and altered should'nt that be grounds for something.Does he own anything

pshark Guest
    His legal troubles are unending. But Unsung did a sloppy job. They couldn't ID the correct members in the photos.
    Most surprising is when Clinton mentioned he cut Jackie Wilson's hair. I already knew about the Temps & Four Tops
    dropping in the barbershop. Even Patti Labelle. Heard her & George mention that on 2 separate TV interviews.

I love George Clinton. I enjoyed the program. I was surprised and a bit upset to learn of his legal troubles in regards to being ripped off for his music, royalties etc. I have heard that's happened to some many of our great artists. I sincerely hope that there is a way for him to get what's rightfully his back.

Quote Originally Posted by abfan View Post
    WOW Another eye opening episode.Did'nt know they were from my home town Newark NJ.......Question....If the legal documents looked to be missing a few lines and altered should'nt that be grounds for something.Does he own anything
    The really disturbing part is that it was HE who wrote and created a lot of the music that is not debatable. Common sense tells me that he would not have just given it away like that and now this man Balavorian or whatever can enjoy the profits for himself and his family. Such utter bullshit!

Also what about the other band members who said they wrote some songs.What are they entilted too. Man GC should not be performing day to day at his age...I wonder exactly how many advances he took and for how long.I can just imagine the money rolling in from Sampling just off DR Dre and Snoop Dog not to mention countless others....shamefull

You saw earlier this week that Solomon Burke was his way to perform another show in his 70's. James Brown was performing up until the week he got sick and died. Many perform because they have to.

Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post
    His legal troubles are unending. But Unsung did a sloppy job. They couldn't ID the correct members in the photos.
    Most surprising is when Clinton mentioned he cut Jackie Wilson's hair. I already knew about the Temps & Four Tops
    dropping in the barbershop. Even Patti Labelle. Heard her & George mention that on 2 separate TV interviews.
    This was one Unsung I could have done without. It told me nothing I didn't already know. plus, I did not like the way it downplayed the years George Clinton spent perfecting his songwriting and producing chops in Detroit, not New Jersey.
    The man was writing good stuff before the drugs took over, so good, Motown had to pay him attention after years of ignoring or underestimating him. As far as his legal troubles, I felt things were left out of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    This was one Unsung I could have done without. It told me nothing I didn't already know. plus, I did not like the way it downplayed the years George Clinton spent perfecting his songwriting and producing chops in Detroit, not New Jersey.
    The man was writing good stuff before the drugs took over, so good, Motown had to pay him attention after years of ignoring or underestimating him. As far as his legal troubles, I felt things were left out of the story.
    GC's songwriting chops have never diminished, especially after ParliaFunkadelicment Thang was launched. He maybe one of the most innovative songwriters of the past 40 years.

From a fans perspective, you could see a lot of holes and mistakes in the story [[incorrect photo credits, etc..), but I can appreciate the fact that they went to people that didn't get any airtime the first time around..., like Blackbyrd, Mike Hampton, P-Nut, Sheila, Sidney Barnes, Archie Ivy, Kash Waddy and Maceo Parker. But not having Garry Shider [[or any mention of his passing) or Bernie Worrell featured is downright criminal. The PBS documentary will remain the standard by which all other P-Funk documentaries will be judged against.

Nevermind the fact that they skipped over major aspects of the story, including the Roger/Zapp controversy, the fall of Uncle Jam Records, and the trouble surrouding the cover of the Electric Spanking album. All of which played a role in the demise of the Mothership.

One more thought: they [[Unsung) couldn't even pay the musicians proper credit? Every band member featured was reduced to that descriptive-band member. They couldn't even go the extra mile and tell people what instrument they play. Unreal.
    Last edited by timmyfunk; 10-19-2010 at 10:20 AM.

I think the show tried to squeeze in too much for it's one hour format.

If you're talking about The Fat Boys, Shalamar, Heatwave, Stacy Ladisaw, etc. that's one thing. But, George's story is too long and heavy to try and compress it into one hour and think you've told a coherent story. Too much had to be left out and that left this episode seeming incomplete and half baked.

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    I think the show tried to squeeze in too much for it's one hour format.

If you're talking about The Fat Boys, Shalamar, Heatwave, Stacy Ladisaw, etc. that's one thing. But, George's story is too long and heavy to try and compress it into one hour and think you've told a coherent story. Too much had to be left out and that left this episode seeming incomplete and half baked.

I would generally agree, but even the VH-1 people were able to touch upon all or most of the important issues and were still able to condense it into an hour. The Unsung people just didn't care. And it isn't the first time that they've been careless in the telling of peoples stories.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    GC's songwriting chops have never diminished, especially after ParliaFunkadelicment Thang was launched. He maybe one of the most innovative songwriters of the past 40 years.
    Damn strate. His writing is pure genius. Without the commercials, Unsung is little less than 39 min. VH1 is probably a little longer, maybe 50 min. The late Mallia Franklin's interview was left off. Now I wonder what got Sheila Horne crying?

pshark Guest
    This was cut out of the show