[REMOVE ADS]

R.I.P King Solomon Burke :[[

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=11843594

R.I.P to a true soul legend.. you will be missed

Last edited by MadLad; 10-10-2010 at 03:56 AM.

I was about to post this. Very sad news. R.I.P.

*sigh*

Of the members of the "Soul Clan", now remains Ben E. King.

Don Covay is still around..

More information from the Dutch press [[http://www.nu.nl/algemeen/2352794/so...overleden.html).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hv6s...layer_embedded NONE OF US ARE FREE

Solomon Burke died on Schiphol-Amsterdam Airport. He arrived October 10, early Sunday morning [[Dutch time) from Los Angeles.
    He was to give a concert in the famous rock venue Paradiso in Amsterdam on October 12, together with the Dutch formation De Dijk [[[the dike]).
    The singer and De Dijk recently released a cd, titled Hold On Tight, on which Burke and the band sang well known De Dijk songs, translated in English.

Solomon Burke, you had a full life in music, we remember you as one of the greats.

[[a small foot note: also Arthur Conley died on Dutch soil)
    Last edited by robbert; 10-10-2010 at 06:20 AM.

I just heard the sad news a few minutes ago on the radio. R.I.P.

MadLad,
    Don Covay is still with us.
    Last edited by GeeTee(HPK); 10-10-2010 at 06:13 AM.

One of soul's true pioneers gone. And he was still making fine music right up until the end.

RIP Solomon.
    His last CD, Nothing's Impossible, is simply one of the best in his career.
    http://www.soulexpress.net/solomonburke_royalsoul.htm

Heikki

Not the kind of news one wants to wake up to. R.I.P. Mr. Burke.....

So true Doug, thanks for the memories and great music, Mr. Burke.

He worked up to the end. A real legend and real soul singer. I 've enjoyed his Nothing Is Impossible release of this year
    thanks to Bob Porter on wbgo. It's been reported Solomon had 21 kids and 90 grandchildren so I guess even outside of his
    millions of fans he will indeed be missed. RIP, Mr Burke. You've done better than most!...

N
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    He worked up to the end. A real legend and real soul singer. I 've enjoyed his Nothing Is Impossible release of this year
    thanks to Bob Porter on wbgo. It's been reported Solomon had 21 kids and 90 grandchildren so I guess even outside of his
    millions of fans he will indeed be missed. RIP, Mr Burke. You've done better than most!...

Not great news to wake up to on a Sunday morning. Solomon Burke was one of soul's unique individuals. Nothing about him was ordinary. His talent, his appetite, his family life and his career. Jerry Wexler called him one of the great soul singers and I'd have to agree.
    Solomon Burke never forgot his roots in the church. He was preaching on records like The Price and Everybody Needs Somebody To Love. There's probably some irony in how he left: while on tour, preparing to do what he had done for most of his life.
    May he rest in peace.

My brother and I joked when we got tickets to see him that we had to see him, as he could easily die the next day. As it turned out, we saw Solomon not only at his own show [[at the great outdoor venue Cain Park, in the Cleveland suburb of Cleveland Heights), we saw him again a couple months later, at the Rock Hall's all-star tribute to Sam Cooke. Both times he wheeled on stage in a wheelchair that he never got out of, but he was resplendent as he sat there and did his thing...as only he could!!

I was shocked when I went on Facebook and saw Colton's profile pic with the death date, so I came here and found out that it was sadly true. He was a one-of-a-kind talent and person and will sorely be missed. RIP, Reverend Burke, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

R.I.P. Solomon.

Hi this is Kev-Lo

I just heard about this sad news. I'm sorry to hear this, He was a great soul pioneer, My favorites from him were GOT TO GET YOU OFF MY MIND and his remake of MIDNIGHT AND YOU. R.I. P Soul brother you will be missed

RIP King Solomon.

I watch and rewatch his wonderful performance f Don't Give Up On Me from Jools show. What a master.

Such sad news. I must say that I have never, ever seen a performer rock the house sitting down in a chair like the legendary Solomon Burke!!!

I have been a fan of Solomon Burke since I bought Walking In A Dream on Apollo records. Alan Freed played it and I was Hooked!!! Great song. Thanks for the great memories over the years with your Great Voice. RIP Sweet Soulful Man

I hope this isn't considered spam, because I think it's a good reminder of Solomon's greatness.

In April, I had a nice chat with Solomon on the phone. During our time, he told some great stories about his early career and working with Willie Mitchell. I posted the audio on the bottom of the linked page [[look for the little player). It's also available for download for free on iTunes [[search: Soul School Audio). I listened to it again today and all of the stories and such take on a whole new meeting with Solomon now gone.

If you're interested, check it out. Just scroll to the bottom and hit the play button.

http://spinningsoul.com/2010/10/solo...ke-dead-at-70/
    Last edited by spinningsoul; 10-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.

"And most of all, I wish I had the
    Answer and the secret to peace
    I'd give this to every leader of the world
    And then I wish I had the secret of love
    For I'd share this with every man
    Every woman, every boy and every girl"

Thank You Solomon Burke, Rest In Peace.

Solomon Burke dies at Amsterdam airport at 70
    1 hour, 57 minutes ago
    By Nekesa Mumbi Moody,Toby Sterling, The Associated Press

AMSTERDAM - Solomon Burke, the larger-than-life "King of Rock and Soul" who was revered as one of music's greatest vocalists but never reached the level of fame of those he influenced, died early Sunday at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport. He was 70.

Born to the sound of music in an upstairs room of a Philadelphia church, Burke was acknowledged as one of the greatest soul singers of the 1960s, but his popularity never matched that of contemporaries like James Brown or Marvin Gaye.

Two of Burke's best-known songs reached a wider audience when they were featuring in hit movies.

He wrote "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" in 1964 and it was later featured in the Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi movie "The Blues Brothers." The Rolling Stones and Wilson Pickett also recorded it.

A bare-chested Patrick Swayze danced seductively with Jennifer Grey to Burke's "Cry To Me" in one of the most memorable scenes from the movie "Dirty Dancing."

Legendary Atlantic Records producer Jerry Wexler once called Burke, "the best soul singer of all time."

Anti- Records President Andy Kaulkin, whose label produced Burke's comeback record, "Don't Give Up On Me," which won him his first and only Grammy, said, "Popular music today wouldn't be where it is without Solomon Burke."

Kaulkin called Burke a precursor to singers like Isaac Hayes and Barry White.

"I feel like his music is where it all came together, and when we think of '60s soul music it all started with Solomon Burke."

Burke, a giant man with a powerful soulful voice to match, appeared on stage on a throne in later years partly because of his regal persona and partly because of health problems. He joined Atlantic in 1960 and went on to record a string of hits in a decade with the label.

Kaulkin said Burke "gracefully" accepted the fact that his fame was eclipsed by singers he influenced.

"I think there was a little bit of frustration there but I don't think it ruled him at all," Kaulkin said.

Burke's family said on his website the singer died of natural causes, but did not elaborate.

"This is a time of great sorrow for our entire family. We truly appreciate all of the support and well wishes from his friends and fans," the statement said.

"Although our hearts and lives will never be the same, his love, life and music will continue to live within us forever," it added.

According to his website, Burke was born March 21, 1940, "to the sounds of horns and bass drums" at the United Praying Band The House of God for All People in West Philly.

"From day one, literally God and gospel were the driving forces behind the man and his music," his website said.

He remained closely linked to the church as a preacher. In 2000, he played for then-Pope John Paul II at the Vatican.

Schiphol Airport police spokesman Robert van Kapel confirmed that Burke died on a plane at Schiphol. He arrived early Sunday on a flight from Los Angeles and had been scheduled to perform a sellout show on Tuesday in a church converted into a concert hall in Amsterdam with local band De Dijk.

Burke was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001 and won a Best Contemporary Blues Album Grammy a year later for "Don't Give Up On Me."

Those honours sparked a renewed interest in the singer and he toured extensively around the world in recent years, including touring with The Rolling Stones.

Burke and his band would play without set lists, instead performing whatever the audience wanted to hear.

"It's like turning back the hands of time instantly," he said on his website. "We can be in the middle of singing something from my recent 'Like A Fire' album, and they'll call out 'Stupidity' from 1957 and we're back 50 years!"

Burke combined his singing with the role of preacher and patriarch of a huge family of 21 children, 90 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren.

"Loving people," he said at a recent performance in London, "is what I do."

WOW! First the Tide losses, now Solomon's Gone? What a rough weekend!

Coincidentally I had just ordered his latest CD and received the news that it has been shipped to me. So the timing of its arrival will always be something I will remember.

A loss of a soul music giant. Actually he's been around so long I thought he might have been older than 70 [[or 74, depending on which source you have!) - Solomon and his music have been with us for so long. His gentle, soulful, wonderful final album Nothing's Impossible will be even more poignant now, standing as a reminder now of the last work of two incredible artistes - Solomon and Willie Mitchell.

Solomon was featured in the Self Portrait section of Mojo magazine October edition, interviewed by Geoff Brown. I hope the publisher doesn't mind me quoting his answers to three questions:

Q My [[his) biggest regret is?:
    I have no regrets, I thank God for every moment, every second, for every moment is a blessing and every moment is a lesson.

Q When we die?:
    I'm gonna be living! I can't speak for you my brother, but I'm planning on living! I pray to God you got your life together, make peace with the Lord. Why would you ask an undertaker a question like that? [[laughs) You wanna price?

Q I would like to be remembered as?:
    One person who said keep believing, never give up on yourself, and remember that everybody needs somebody to love.

A wonderful epitaph from the man himself. I'm sure he will be resting in peace.

Indeed. RIP Solomon Burke, thank you for the great, great music.

Man, One of the greatest soul singers. I will miss him.

Another gem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw8UJm1ycM4
    R.I.P King Solomon.

I AM FLOORED! I was away for the weekend and did not know this information. Lord have mercy...RIP Solomon Burke. You stood strong in the wretched world of R&B music...GOD BLESS and peaceful journey.

I'm listening to a 2 hour tribute to Soloman Burke on WEVL in Memphis,right now. http://wevl.org/webcast.php

Another legend gone...r.i.p.