[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Songwriters Roll Call - Is Everybody Ready" Yeah Smokey!

As most of you know, Motown Records had some of the most gifted, prolific songwriters on their staff , more than any other label in the history of the Universe [[including the Brill Building writers).

I would like for everyone to pick their favorites by specific Motown Songwriters, list at least two of their compositions you liked most. Give a little review of their work if you like but tell us something about why you liked that person or that TEAM's work, ok?

For example, I am a long time fan of Eddie Holland, Lamont Dozier and Brian Holland's work. One of my all time favorites is "I'll Turn to Stone" recorded by the Four Tops. It had some of the most clever lyrics this side of Smokey and the chorus is just brilliant and unforgettable. Another is "Baby I Need Your Loving", which is probably my all time favorite recording by anyone, EVER! The lyrics are timeless. They appear simple but are very complex in that the meaning or feeling change depending on the individual singing them. But just about everyone can relate to that particular song.

Ok enough of my rambling. Let's hear it for the Motown Songwriters!

I would have to pick Smokey and the Miracles [[Pete, Ronnie, Bobby and Marv all contibuted at various times but are seldom given any credit). I really enjoy the cleverness [[My Baby Must Be a Magician) and humor [[First I Look At the Purse). When I listen to their records I get the sense that everyboby was having a lot of fun.

"My Baby Must Be A Magician" did have some very clever lyrics as did "Tears of A Clown". The latter song I believe Smokey have started writing the song with Pagliacci the clown in mind and built the song around the well known opera.

...and he'd begun writing some of the lyrics to TOAC as early as 1964. The line, 'Just like Pagliacci did, I try to keep my sadness hid,' also appears in Carolyn Crawford's My Smile Is Just a Frown turned Upside Down from that year.

Soulwally, you right on it! I was listening to Carolyn's song last night and the line about Pagliacci is right in there!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned marvin gaye who was excellent as a song writer...i love you secretly[the miracles]...baby i'm for real[the originals]!

Pam Sawyer with Marilyn McLeod, with Gloria Jones, with Frank Wilson and many others... "My Mistake", "If I Were Your Woman", "Where Do You Go, Baby", "Touch" - beautifully written songs. I play these all the time. I have a Pam Sawyer playlist on my IPod.
    Frederick "Shorty" Long... "Function At The Junction", "Sing What You Wanna" - fun lyrics... just want to dance whenever I hear these songs.
    Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Edward Holland... "I Hear A Symphony" - the music period!
    Ron Miller and partners - "For Once In My Life", "Heaven Help Us All", "Touch Me In The Morning", "Raining Again" - classic songwriting style. "Raining Again" is one of my favorite Diana Ross tunes.

Marvin Gaye was indeed an excellent songwriter and arrr&bee you cite an excellent example, "Baby I'm For Real" is a true classic. It never gets old or sounds dated and it's been 40 years! I think most of Marvin's work came from his true experiences. When he put out "Here My Dear", I was pretty young and didn 't want to hear about his divorce, failed relationship, etc in an album. Now, I can understand his true genius. He really was troubled man and was able to interpret that to the World.

blkfrost, I agree wholeheartedly with your choices, especially Ron Miller.