[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Bill Withers

thomas96 Guest

Bill Withers

Did he ever officially "retire" from the music business? It seems he hasn't done anything since about '88.

IIRC, according to the liner notes on one of his album reissues, he did retire, but has also been writing songs all this time, and wants a new record deal.

thomas96 Guest
    Do you remember which album reissue, and when this was? It seems unlikely he wants a new record deal now considering his age, and time away from the business, but its possible. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Do you remember which album reissue, and when this was? It seems unlikely he wants a new record deal now considering his age, and time away from the business, but its possible. Thanks.
    I have all of my CDs in boxes because I ripped them all to a server years ago, but it's most likely in the liner notes of the "Still Bill" CD reissue.

Just because someone is getting up there in years doesn't mean they wouldn't want a record deal anymore. It's music, man! Who cares how old you are. Look at the Rolling Stones, B.B. King, or Aretha Franklin.. They don't let age stop them.

He was very disenchanted with the music industry, so, yes, he did effectively retire. Whether he will ever make more records will depend on how much he wants to get back into the business, I suspect.

There's a really good documentary called Still Bill that tells his story. It was made a few years ago, but then apparently the distributor tanked, so it never got much attention. Might be on Netflix though.

Anyway, in the movie you can see him working on an original song. He has a studio, but apparently hadn't powered it up in a while.

Thee is a nice boxset of all his cds:
    Complete Sussex & Columbia Album Masters

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I have all of my CDs in boxes because I ripped them all to a server years ago, but it's most likely in the liner notes of the "Still Bill" CD reissue.

Just because someone is getting up there in years doesn't mean they wouldn't want a record deal anymore. It's music, man! Who cares how old you are. Look at the Rolling Stones, B.B. King, or Aretha Franklin.. They don't let age stop them.

I saw B.B. King in concert last week and he was magnificient! 87 years old.

In the new Esquire, Questlove [[drummer for the Roots, influential scenester) talks about his efforts to get Bill Withers back in the studio. It sounds like he's close, since he has Mrs. Withers on board with the idea. Considering what he's gone through in the industry, Withers is understandably reticent, but if he does this, he'll probably win a Grammy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndugu View Post
    In the new Esquire, Questlove [[drummer for the Roots, influential scenester) talks about his efforts to get Bill Withers back in the studio. It sounds like he's close, since he has Mrs. Withers on board with the idea. Considering what he's gone through in the industry, Withers is understandably reticent, but if he does this, he'll probably win a Grammy.
    It might take a contemporary approach to get Bill Withers back in the music groove. But I sort of get the feeling he thinks he's said all he wants to say, musically speaking. He APPEARS TO be content with his life now. I wish someone would do a remix of the opening bars to Grandma's Hands , Bill's moaning that beat...that's FUNK RIGHT there.

I wish someone would do a remix of the opening bars to Grandma's Hands , Bill's moaning that beat...that's FUNK RIGHT there.

Teddy Riley did it on No Diggity.........