[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Legends weekender

Is anybody going to Prestatyn next week-end for the Velvelettes and Tavares?

I'm writing to sound off about it.

The week-end falls each year around my wedding anniversary so I like to make it a good week-end away for my wife and I.

The trouble this year, quite frankly, is the price.

The Velvelettes were at the weekender at Hemsby 4/5 years ago with the Miracles and others before it moved to Prestatyn. The Club chalet cost £160 for the weekend.

This year a club chalet costs £340. This is ok at £85 each with 4 sharing but with just the two of us, it's an outrageous price for an out-of-season week-end at Pontins whatever the artists showing. Even the classic chalet costs £248.

The only accomodation for two persons sharing is a £100 budget room where we have to make our own beds up each night. Hardly appropriate for a special wedding anniversary week-end.

Looking around I've been offered a week-end break at a 4 star Spa Hotel nearby with full English breakfast included at £158. Much better accomodation, lots to do, breakfast paid for and much cheaper.

So unless there are last-minute deals being offered, it's testing the Spa waters for us rather than These Things Will Keep Me loving You. A great shame from my viewpoint.

does anybody else have any comments on this?

Calling that a MOTOWN legends show is a major misnomer since Tavares recorded for Capital and RCA...never Motown to the best of my knowledge.

To be fair they've changed the name to Motown & Soul Weekender.

In previous years it was called a Motown Weekender and there have been some fantastic acts that would never have been seen anywhere else including Brenda Holloway, Frances Nero and Bobby Taylor.

As you say Tavares are not Motown, maybe even soul is a loose description as I remember them most as a Bee Gees inspired disco group in Saturday Night Fever.

As I'm in the USA and not the UK I couldn't attend this event but I did want to say that
    Tavares had a career and scored some hits long before their slide [[downward IMO) into
    disco and their exposure to The Bee Gees and Saturday Fright Fever...