[REMOVE ADS]

Ruffin Motown Years albums

On my Pandora radio this morning I just heard David Ruffin sing the great Spinners Motown tune, "I've Got to Find Myself a Brand New Baby." Never heard his version of it, but wow, it was outstanding. Of course Ruff could sing the phone book and it would sound great.

I see that the tune if from Volume 1 of The Motown Years, distributed by Hip-O Select.

I have the standard Ruffin hits album, which I love. I was wondering about digging deeper and getting volumes 1 and 2, and if anyone here thinks it's worth it? Looks like tons of great tunes on both albums, and lots and lots of songs.

And yes, I want to the Eddie Kendricks ones, too. Just want to get your takes on the quality of these albums. Thanks.

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.publi...3-2d11ffae22b8

I had the audio cassette tapes,
    and I still have the cd
    the solo years

Ruffin, Kendrick, Edwards

See if you can find it.

It is called

--RUFFIN, KENDRICKS, EDWARDS, AND P. WILLIAMS--
    <>1996
    ***ONE BY ONE: BEST OF THE SOLO YEARS

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 10-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks, Edafan, I heard about that Williams-Kendricks-Ruffin album ... to paraphrase Tower of Power, "So Very Hard to Find."

I just figured out that the Ruffin [[and Kendricks) Hip-o volumes are basically all their solo albums packaged together, which is cool, since a lot of those albums [[if not all of them) are out of print.

Amazon has The Solo Albums Volume 1 for under $20 + $2.98 shipping, from their market place. If you shop around a little you might be able to find it for less. I tried ebay and found it for $19.99 with free shipping. It is on that cd set.

I love the Ruffin solo albums, especially My Whole World Ended and Me And Rock & Roll Are Here To Stay. Some of those tracks will probably never end up on compilations, but are absolutely worth a listen. If you can find it, there's a track called "City Stars" that gives me the chills! I'm not sure if it's the funk brothers or not [[probably not, because it's from '74), but boy is it a jam. Volume knob guitar swells at the beginning, four on the snare pre-chorus, and great chords and melody on a catchy chorus. Plus, as always, Ruffin sings his ASS off!

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Amazon has The Solo Albums Volume 1 for under $20 + $2.98 shipping, from their market place. If you shop around a little you might be able to find it for less. I tried ebay and found it for $19.99 with free shipping. It is on that cd set.

If ypu can still find David Ruffin's Motown Albums Vols. 1 $ 2 cheaply, you better get on it quickly. Just a few months ago, these discs were selling for more than $20.00. ou might also

try Dusty Groove.Com. But I've Got To Find Aa BRAND New Baby was on Ruffin's My Whole Wworld Ended Lp. The mono mix of the song can be found on Volume 9 [[1969) of the Complete Motown Singles.

RossHolloway Guest
    These sets are worth every penny! But like someone said, I'd pick them up now and not later.

If anyone is interested, David, The Unreleased Album is on ebay for $89.99
    Last edited by MotownSteve; 03-30-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Glad I got my second copy of that album still sealed!

honest man Guest
    these cds are priceless you need them, vol 2 has about 12 or more unissued tracks from his solo years, love them. cheers.

You DO know that much of the music on David Ruffin: The Motown Solo Years #2 was Seventies Motown?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-31-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Excellent choice Tsull, I am very enamored of the Norman Whitfield sides on Me & Rock & Roll are Here to Stay.

These albums really are priceless & will probably never see the light of day again,so I suggest you snap 'em up while you can...For me Van McCoy seemed to know how to get the best out of David Ruffin & the star track from Volume 2 is "You Ought To Know Me" awesome and then some...Incidently Amazon UK have the solo years & Vol 1 is £48.75 & Vol 2 is £120.00 so $20 is cheap...however not as cheap as the £8.99 I paid for them when first released.

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-O4TbyKP6g

Diana Starr indeed! LOL

--RUFFIN, KENDRICKS, EDWARDS, AND P. WILLIAMS--
    <>1996
    ***ONE BY ONE: BEST OF THE SOLO YEARS

This CD shows up on E-Bay from time to time at an amt over $100!!!

For me , Statue Of A Fool , Just Let Me Hold You For One Night and On And Off ,are some of his other best tracks.
    Statue is a David classic. His underrated shining jewel. [[IMO)
    I would have loved to have seen Marvin or Stevie produce some things on David.

honest man Guest
    John were do you find these clips, great to see 2 legends in a light mood, great stuff. i compiled a few cdrs for myself of david ruffin material.i finished the set with STATUE OF A FOOL,such a thoughtful song sung by a tragic man,maybe david's epitaph. love it,cheers.

Statue of a Fool is great. Get both of those CDs. Money well spent.
    I like Common Man an awful lot, too.

My Ruffin cd's are my most played, most loved and most cherished. And even Vol.2 of the Motown Solo Albums, which is mostly 70's, but also contains what is probably the last unreleased Ruffin material from the late 60's, including a Stevie Wonder collaboration. And I don't usually like 70's Motown, but he's on fire throughout. Any Ruffin fan needs Me and Rock N Roll are Here to Stay! Not going to mention highlights because I love pretty much every track on these cd's, although I think the first couple of albums on Vol.1 and the Unreleased album are the pinnacles. I got Vol.1 and Vol.2 for the equivalent of $20, and paid around $40 for the David Ruffin Unreleased album [[I'm converting from £ to $ here!) Worth every penny. And so was Groovesville Review Vol.1 for Still in My Heart. Also worth getting was the I am my Brother's Keeper cd with his brother Jimmy. Great stuff from THE David Ruffin. Not just me either who loves this stuff- my wife [[who I 'turned' from being a fan of the grorified cover artist Kanye West) has finally admitted that Ruff is her favourite, despite having a strong dislike for him after watching the Tempations Movie. For example, I was playing the original Everlasting Love by Robert Knight the other day while working at my desk, and she immediately said that it was a clearly inferior version to Ruff's. And with all due respect to Robert, Ruff simply blows him and everyone else away. We've compared many versions which other artists did, particularly those by the Tempts [[e.g. Superstar, Dinah) and Marvin and Tammi [[what you gave me)- Ruff wins hands down every time. Even if other artists have done songs before Ruff, he makes it sound like his is the original. In short- get it!

I know this is non-Motown related but I loved "ONE MORE FOR THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB" with Ruffin & Kendricks [[RCA). It's a sweet song and you can hear the years of experience in their voices. They were my two favorites out of the original Tempts.

I love everything that Ruffin sang. He had such a depth of range in his voice, it was unbelievable.

Tsull, I feel the same way about their tune "I Dont Know Why You Dreaming", which is not the actual lyric to the song and I can't remember that line ever being in the song.....instead its "I Dont Know Why You Treat me, The Way That You Do" good album great songs.....

David Ruffin- produce by Bobby Miller

By far the best solo album by Ruffin. great tunes and he sounds tremendous. Six- seven really great tunes- you will not be disappointed. No big hits- but truly great songs.

Rovin Kind, Just a Mortal Man, Common Man, Day in the Life of a Workin Man, There will Always be Another Song to Sing . He also does a great job on Blood Donors Needed and I Miss You.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Excellent choice Tsull, I am very enamored of the Norman Whitfield sides on Me & Rock & Roll are Here to Stay.
    I agree. I Saw You When You Met Her, in particular, is a superb song.

Glad to hear it Slick, think I'll play the album this afternoon......

Paladin

I was devasted when you put on a thread that you didn't rate "Unite The World" So whilst you're playing David's album, can you also give Unite The World a listen and please play the 45 version. It's electrifying.

I was devasted when you put on a thread that you didn't rate "Unite The World" So whilst you're playing David's album, can you also give Unite The World a listen and please play the 45 version. It's electrifying

I think I said it was considered a hit, and that I didn't particularly care for it. I've heard it many times over the years including the version you are referring to, since I had purchased the 45 years ago. I've loved the Temptations since I was a boy as I have most of the Motown artists, and there may be 5-6 records by them that I don't have in my collection. But, Unite The World just didn't do it for me. I can recall seeing them on ED Sullivan doing this song and they had on different color gloves and their customary excellent choreography sucked to me at the time. Now the record they released before although produced by Norman Whitfield as well [[Ball of Confusion) was simply super funky whereas Unite The World was like a rock record, by The Tempts? Oh no I wasn't ready for that. Still I played it and enjoyed it because they were the Tempts but to this day its one of those songs thats hardly remembered and never requested. I'm glad that you like it, bet if we were in a bar having a few beers, we could have some mighty interesting discussions. Thanks for commenting, I just finished listening to the song, its ok but its not killer Tempts....lol....by the way the first ones on me.....

Paladin

Aaaghh.....a performance of it on ED Sullivan...how can you just lighty drop that in a conversation with me without a warning.

I never knew about that.......whoooosh to youtube.

We in the UK got the lp mix on the 45 but radio switched to the b-side "It's Summer".

Paladin

Would you know where I can see this clip of the guys on Ed Sullivan...I can't find it on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    You DO know that much of the music on David Ruffin: The Motown Solo Years #2 was Seventies Motown?
    ...yes indeed ...some of his best work was on those solo 70's albums ...IMHO

I can recall seeing them on ED Sullivan doing this song and they had on different color gloves and their customary excellent choreography sucked to me at the time
    Sorry my friend, but I am relatively sure that it was the Sullivan Show, although after all these years I could be mistaken, but during that time frame I saw them perform it on TV more than once and really wasn't impressed, I am not entirely sure about which show because of my position about the record. However one of the things that always amazes me about this site is the way Motown records were received, played and appreciated in the UK vs the way they were presented in USA.
    I am not a big You Tube user but if I find a clip I'll surely post it for you.

Paladin

The US got many more performances of the Motown artists that we got in the UK. For a Brit Motown fan, we have to be fans of YOutube to see what we missed out on.

Now I know there is a performance, I'll shall be looking out for it. Thank you for the tip.