[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Story....UK Blues and Soul Mag Special [[1970)

some nice pics [[b+w and color)/articles in this.......i can scan more pages if anyone wants them and if theres room...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

i've never seen that before.have you just got it,or had it since new?
    thanks for showing!
    i'd be interested in seeing more please.

i started subscribing in 1972.....a work colleague was going to throw issues away in the 90ts...and i rescued this one....as it was before i started getting them....its a treat......it was fully licensed by Motown USA for UK/European fans....ill post more later if thats ok........

RossHolloway Guest
    I've never seen that pic of D. Ross. Nice.

intro +Tammi /Shorty....

...the photo of Blinky is a joy ...if you could be so kind Platters81...?

Blinky/Velvelettes/Brenda Holloway/Fantastic Four........

well done platters,brilliant stuff.if you've got the time to scan some more,i 've got the time to read it.
    thanks very much

This is simply marvelous, keep it coming.....

Kdub

I bought this at the time, and still have execpt front and back cover lost in numerous moves etc. Does have great pics I have never seen since. Wish I could find another copy..Paulo XXXX

Supremes/Diana Ross..........

Jr Walker/Martha + Vandellas..........

The Diana Ross pic with the red background is a shot from the same photo shoot from which the European front cover sleeve for The Supremes Sing Motown was taken [[The Supremes Sing HDH was renamed in Europe). They're wearing beautiful long white dresses with big white pearls around the neck and ditto pearly earrings, sitting on a black & white couch, against a red/orange background.
    This is the UK sleeve: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supremes-Sin...6709224&sr=1-1. Skip the stupid mistakes in the text.
    The pic on the Europe mainland sleeve [[Dutch design) is slightly different [[esp. Diana has a more elegant pose), but I haven't got a jpg for that one.

The silouetted heads from that sleeve pic were used for the front cover of The Supremes Soul Legends, see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...229816&s=music.

I know the two different shots of DRATS from that session, used for the UK and European sleeves. This Diana solo pic [[maybe a cut out) is a third one form that session.
    Are there more pics known from that session [[I'm sure it wasn't one by photographer James Kriegsman from New York) and if so, can anyone post them here?

Marvin Gaye...Jackson Five.......

Can we please haveThe Marvelettes, Spinners, Chuck Jackson page next? I cant scan and send. Paulo XXX

Chuck Jackson...Marvelettes...Spinners..

Temptations......

That cover picture takes me back, it was used for a pull-out calendar issued in Billboard at what must have been the beginning of 1970. I had it hanging on the wall at work by my desk, trying in vain to convert the non-believers. It was hard work around here back then.

Stevie Wonder.....Rare Earth...

ive been concerned about the quality of some of the black and white scans i posted on this thread....the color photos seem ok on 200dpi....but the black and white ones are "grainy" on that setting.....ive done them on 300 dpi and they are much better....but the file size is way too big for forum rules......if anyone has a fav pic they want me to do in 300...just pm me with e mail...and i'll do it.....

Gladys Knight + Pips.....Edwin Starr...Marv Johnson...managed to get the b+w better...

Smokey Robinson + Miracles....Writers/Producers page......

Originals........Kiki Dee........

Four Tops......Contours/Bobby Taylor/Isley Bros/Elgins...............

album Ad............

Jimmy Ruffin.......Hitsville.......

Motown Story article.....last one....hope you enjoyed 'em..........ive got a fair few Blues and Soul magazines from the early /mid 70ts with nice Motown pics in them....which ill post on another thread if wanted ....

Amazing! Thanks for posting! Please do more if you have them!

I would love it if you had any scans of diana ross and or supremes blues and soul or any magazines if you would email them to me? neil_dud@hotmail.com subject Diana Ross please

thanks

It's posts like StuartUK's this that make me realise how important the Souful Detroit archives are

Hey Platters81, do you run the Hitsville Detroit page on FB? A lot of these pics look familiar. great stuff.

I subscribed to B&S from about edition # 30 [[1969?) and also got the special Motown Mag they did when it 1st came out.
    I still have all my old B&S [[1969 -- 1975 + some later ones) + the Motown Special. I used to refer to them on a regular basis [[for reseach purposes) before you could find most info on the net.
    They sit neglected up in the loft now ...... however some artists were more popular in the UK & came to live here or toured 2 / 3 times a year. So the info on them [[Fliratations aka Gypsies, Fantastics, J J Jackson, Jimmy R, Edwin St, Oscar Toney Jnr, Tammi Lynn, etc) is more detailed in B&S than you can find on US web sites.

Hi John!

I too was a subscriber from 1970 till the mid-90s. I even had a 25-year discount :-).

Heikki

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures. Sort of strange that Kiki Dee got a full page picture [[more than most successful Motown artists). I know she is from the UK, but ... please. She was five years away from breaking my heart.

Jim

I began in 1967 with its predecessor Home of the Blues, and continued till the late 70s. I've got all of em still, apart from the early ones... which I sold. I've still got the Motown book.

I think the photo of Hitsville at post #26 was the very first time I'd seen Hitsville.....I've got the very same photo from my B&S Motown Magazine framed and proudly hanging in my 'den'.
    I was a paperboy in 1969/1970 and looked forward to each B&S.....I think my first was the issue with Earl Van Dyke on the cover.
    It was extremely influential .....and the whole 'Northern soul' boom was boosted greatly by Dave Godin's column,and club promotions [[listing the discs on their playlist) followed by Frank Elson , who reported on the current scene.
    I believe the first mention of 'Northern' [[regardless of who coined it) came in the article covering Godin's visit to Manchester's Twisted Wheel in late 1970.
    It wasessential reading, and I particularly loved looking at the new US 45s each issue.
    Happy days

reposting this again in anyone missed it first time round