[REMOVE ADS]

Teena Marie: Alternate mix of "Revolution"

Back in 1981, I had the Motown cassette version of the "It Must Be Magic" album that sounded horrible! I quickly replaced it with the vinyl, but once I did, I discovered that the cassette had a unique mix of the song "Revolution".

I have not seen any release or heard it since this tape, and the tape cannot be played because it started squealing whenever I played it. I tried to bake it but nothing worked. I eventually threw the tape away. But, does anyone have any info on that mix? Harry? I prefer that mix to the one on CD and vinyl. I had hoped it would show up on the remaster years ago.

soulster;
    Motown was notorious for having different mixes of songs on different musical formats - ie reel to reel, cassette and vinyl albums, from the 45 rpm version. A deep search on the gemm site unearthed a music vendor selling several sealed copies of Teena Marie's "It Must Be Magic" cassette tape. Out of curiosity, as a result of your thread, I took a chance to order a copy. When it arrives, I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. There are lots of other examples like this. One reason offered up to me by one of the former Motown Tape Librarians is that mistakes were made at the pressing plants that were not caught by quality control until it was too late, or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    soulster;
    Motown was notorious for having different mixes of songs on different musical formats - ie reel to reel, cassette and vinyl albums, from the 45 rpm version. A deep search on the gemm site unearthed a music vendor selling several sealed copies of Teena Marie's "It Must Be Magic" cassette tape. Out of curiosity, as a result of your thread, I took a chance to order a copy. When it arrives, I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. There are lots of other examples like this. One reason offered up to me by one of the former Motown Tape Librarians is that mistakes were made at the pressing plants that were not caught by quality control until it was too late, or not at all.
    In this case, the song wasn't issued as a 45 to my knowledge.

I prefer this "cassette" mix to the official released version as it is on vinyl and CD.

The only real difference is that there are extra keyboard parts on the intro before the singing starts. It actually sounds more radio-friendly, and I think that's what the original plan was. We can't ask her now, but I wonder why she didn't approve that mix for the vinyl. I'm sure the mix is in the vaults.

Actually the original mix included strings during the intro and was released on the first vinyl pressing. The version with the extended guitar intro without strings is the one featured on the cassette and subsequent CD re-issues. The strings version is the better one and terribly hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    In this case, the song wasn't issued as a 45 to my knowledge.

I prefer this "cassette" mix to the official released version as it is on vinyl and CD.

The only real difference is that there are extra keyboard parts on the intro before the singing starts. It actually sounds more radio-friendly, and I think that's what the original plan was. We can't ask her now, but I wonder why she didn't approve that mix for the vinyl. I'm sure the mix is in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Actually the original mix included strings during the intro and was released on the first vinyl pressing. The version with the extended guitar intro without strings is the one featured on the cassette and subsequent CD re-issues. The strings version is the better one and terribly hard to find.
    Well, they aren't strings, they are keyboards, but, thanks for that info! You know exactly what i'm talking about, then. And, I forgot that the intro was four bars shorter. It is indeed a better mix. One wonders why it was switched out for the not-so-great version.

But, I did have a cassette with that original mix. Now I have to hunt down an original pressing!

If you find it Soulster,let me know. I'd love to have that mix again. And no, the mix I am referring to has strings during the guitar solo after Teena's vocal intro

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    If you find it Soulster,let me know. I'd love to have that mix again. And no, the mix I am referring to has strings during the guitar solo after Teena's vocal intro
    I guess I don't remember that. Are you sure they are real strings? Synthesizers can really fool you sometimes.