[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Mel carter

Mel carter

Mel Carter was around on the recording scene for quite a long time, not a bad effort for a guy who started out singing around the late 50's.
    His 1st record escaped in 1961 and from then he worked with the likes of Clydie King, Sam Cooke, O V Wright, Don Robey & H B Barnum back in the 60's.
    He secured deals with the likes of Mercury / Phillips, Imperial, Liberty & Bell before hooking up with other labels in later years [[he had a deal with Henry Stone's Cat label in 73). In 1980 he was with Cream Records and then spent 3 years or so with Airwave for whom he cut the popular "Love Test".

What can the knowledgeable folk on here [[Robb K, etc) tell me about the guy ??
    "Deed I Do" his 1st outing for Imperial [[1964) is typical of his 60's output ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4UyFd9srag

Mel Carter is a friend of my dad's. They are both from Ohio. He's a talented dude. He draws, designs clothing and has acted in several films, a few TV shows and has done theater. I RESPECT his hustle. He's always doing something. He runs his own record label and is underrated and should have been bigger as far as records. My dad said he had a problem with the police that kind of stalled his music career for a while. When Mel used to tour with Dick Clark, he would make extra money by doing favors [[basically ironing) for some of the other male acts like Johnny Tillotson, Paul Petersen- who couldn't take care of themselves. Mel had toured before and knew how to survive those bus tours. He will be 70 this year and he still sings his face off.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-16-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  21.1 KB
    I met Mel when he worked with us, at Airwave. I don't know him well. But, he comes off as a very nice guy. Yes, he's very talented. He's been an actor for a long time, and has appeared in a lot more than a few films, and has appeared in a lot of TV shows, and done a lot of theatre. I think he relied a lot more on his acting than his singing since 1980.

He had releases on several small L.A. labels in the early 1960s, and had hits on Sam Cooke and JW Alexander's Derby Records [[SAR subsidiary) before he signed with Imperial. Zelda Samuels was his manager for many, many years.

Mel Carter was signed to Doris Day's label or one she owned with her former husband before he signed with Sam Cooke and Imperial Records.

Here's his first charted single, When A Boy Falls In Love, on the Derby label Robb mentioned above. 7/6/63, #44 Pop and #30 R&B. Oddly enough, this was the only song by him that made the R&B chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3iFhLdWjqc

I love his voice and always group him in the same category as Lenny Welch.

Oldies

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesmusicfan View Post
    Here's his first charted single, When A Boy Falls In Love, on the Derby label Robb mentioned above. 7/6/63, #44 Pop and #30 R&B. Oddly enough, this was the only song by him that made the R&B chart.

Oldies
    Mel Carter was Easy Listening or Adult contemporary. He came along in an era when several black singers like Johnny Hartman, Arthur Prysock, Lenny Welch, Della Reese, Nancy Wilson and Johnny Mathis- didn't have to sing R&B. Some of them could have thriving careers singing pop, Easy Listening and jazz. They were entertainers. They worked nightclubs, lounges as well as did one nighters. I don't understand why some reissue label has not taken an interest in Carter's album catalog. Many of his classic albums are not on digital disc and many of them should be.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-16-2013 at 04:19 PM.

"Love Test" [[Airwave) from 84 .... this was very popular in the UK [[the 7" version which is shorter with less instro section) ............
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm5CRGvRKHY

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    "Love Test" [[Airwave) from 84 .... this was very popular in the UK [[the 7" version which is shorter with less instro section) ............
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm5CRGvRKHY
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  21.1 KB
    Probably our best known record [[with possible exception of "You're Gonna Want Me Back" by Delia Renee, or "I'm Not In Love" by Scherrie Payne.

Mel is a friend of ours. Jimmy was his mentor and a major influence on Mel when he was a teen, he still has a pair of cufflinks Jimmy gave him when he was 16 years old!

Here's Mel at Jimmy's 85th Birthday Concert in Hollywood ~
    Name:  Mel & Jimmy.jpg
Views: 4275
Size:  66.2 KB

On stage ~
    Name:  Mel onstage.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  57.7 KB

S.S.

How is Mr. Scott ? I thought of him when I was writing about Mel Carter.

One thing about Mel Carter... "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" is one of those rare songs that EVERYONE from every walk of life and every taste in music seems to like. It has such broad appeal, it's amazing.

I told Mel, my favorite song is his version of "I'll Never Be Free" from his album.

Hey Kam,
    Jimmy is good thanks, working on a new project, too soon to talk about.
    He's watching old cowboy movies right now, lol. Almost time for breakfast.

S.S.

Great photos, Soul Sister. Mel is such a great vocalist. Thanks for posting. You always add good pictures and comments to threads. Jimmy has influenced so many artists from so many genres. We're blessed to have his presence through you on this forum.

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister, good to hear Mr. Scott is chilling and working on a new project. He's so blessed.

*Awww....thank you Mary, that's sweet of you to say.
    Yet so true.

*Yes, he is Kam, especially at almost age 88. We both are blessed and grateful.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesmusicfan View Post

Oldies
    That was sure a bad link! haha

Mel Carter is quite a guy...I have him on Facebook, and he was the first person to wish me Happy Birthday this year [[it's Wednesday). Always enjoyed his music. One of the funniest things I ever heard was that someone actually thought that his song "Deed I Do" was a version of Frank Wilson's "Do I Love You"! They're both great songs but they are NOT the same...LOL!

Best,

Mark

Greetings
    We THE TYMES,have shared the stage with Mr. Mel Carter
    He is a great singer, plus one of the nicest guys you could meet.
    Also, hello Soul Sister. It has been a minute.
    Glad to see that you both are still doing your thing.
    Regards
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Imnokid - haha! How did that happen!? Here's the correct link for When A Boy Falls In Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqNN_J6nPE

Oldies

Hi Ceaser,
    Good to hear from you too!!
    Yes, Jimmy's doing fine, Ceaser.
    Hope all is going great in Philly.

Best Always,
    S.S.

Mel Carter is FANTASTIC!!! I have known Mel quite a few years having met in Atlantic City from Dee Dee Sharp. We keep in touch! Check out his website--www.melcarter.com