[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    You know, years ago I thought that Lauryn Hill would have been perfect to play Mary [[ I believe others picked up on that and liked the idea) but that was almost 10 years ago now. I am starting to like the idea of Kelly in the role.

Florence Ballard could easily have a story without music. She never sang lead on a hit record and the story stands on it's own.

Jobete Music is still worth millions of dollars and they market it mightily each year and make lots of money from it. The purchaser could have cared less about some music licensing for a movie on Diana Ross, Berry Gordy or the Supremes that needs Berry's or Diana's consent to use music. They can make many millions on lots of other things- raisins, grapes, stop signs etc.

topdiva1 Guest
    Flo Ballard life is not a musical - but a drama, and needs no music.

But will they be able to do it without truthful portrayals of Diane Ross and Berry Gordy and roles each played in Ms. Ballards life?
    Last edited by marv2; 10-08-2010 at 09:09 PM.

What about Mary?

Yeah! Mary too. Definitely Mary should be in the movie!!!

If Benjamins book is being used as the main source cant they pretty much do what they want? And maybe some sort of "disclaimer " if need be.

Luke, I think you are right. They can do what they want since the book is based on Benjamin's book which is based on his taped interviews with Florence.

I would love to see it happen. The Florence Ballard Story. You're right Topdival, Kelly Rowland would great, As Mary Wilson.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by Livingallalone View Post
    Chile please..LOL

Just because Faith Evans continues to talk up her being selected to play Florence Ballard does not mean a film is being made. Just because the publisher of a Ballard biography says a film is being made DOES not mean it will be made. This is not confirmation.
    According to sources in Hollywood, there is no script, no director or studio attached to a Florence Ballard film. There are no investors, no music has been licensed, no locations have been selected. At this point, this is still in the planning or development stages with Faith Evans, Peter Benjaminson & the Ballard family hoping to generate interest so they can raise the money needed, get a script and a director interested.
    I won't believe a film on Florence Ballard is being made until I see a director has been assigned and shooting has begun.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 10-08-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Just because Faith Evans continues to talk up her being selected to play Florence Ballard does not mean a film is being made. Just because the publisher of a Ballard biography says a film is being made DOES not mean it will be made. There is no script, no director or studio attached to a Florence BALLARD FILM> here are no investors, no music has been licensed, no locations have been selected. At this point, this is in the planning stages with Ffaith Evans, Peter Benjaminson & the Ballard family hoping to generate interest so they can raise the money needed. I won't believe a film on Florence Ballard is being made until I see a director has been assigned and shooting has begun.
    How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    How do you know this?
    I'm smart. And I know people in the film industry. At this point, this film is in development. It can stay in development for years especially if there is no money.

Would you like to see this movie, like very soon?

Whether Diane and Berry die tonight or tomorrow, they are going to make Florence's story into a movie. The story is just too strong, too compelling to worry about the hurt feelings of a couple of senior citizens.

If the film "Dreamgirls" did anything, it showed that there is an awful lot of interest in Florence Ballard and what happened to her. There is also a LOT of money to be made by telling this tragic American story.

topdiva1 Guest
    As much as I would like to see this as a movie on any level - I have to agree at this time with Motownman - it is only being hyped - not done.

The market for Flo Ballard is not that great - to insure that the tens of millions it would take to produce a Movie on Flo Ballard in todays market - will most likely not be recouped. Both Evans, Benjaminson, and The Ballard sisters are wasting their timw if they are WITHOUT a major, studio, producer, writer, and script.

Do not forget the power of Gordy, Ross, and Wilson - all of whom may not look so go as the cridets roll if this film gets made. It is a great idea, vision, and plan - but in reality the Ballard sisters - if interested in making a buck - should do a reality tv show of themselves - forming a recording group. They do have a platform but have not used it wisely.

Somehow, someway, someone felt the story of "Cadillac Records" was worthy enough to be brought to the big screen. Are you telling me that the story of Chess Records is better known and more compelling than the story of Florence Ballard & the Supremes?

"LaBomba" The Story of Ritchie Valens.........'nuff said! LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    As much as I would like to see this as a movie on any level - I have to agree at this time with Motownman - it is only being hyped - not done.

The market for Flo Ballard is not that great - to insure that the tens of millions it would take to produce a Movie on Flo Ballard in todays market - will most likely not be recouped. Both Evans, Benjaminson, and The Ballard sisters are wasting their timw if they are WITHOUT a major, studio, producer, writer, and script.

Do not forget the power of Gordy, Ross, and Wilson - all of whom may not look so go as the cridets roll if this film gets made. It is a great idea, vision, and plan - but in reality the Ballard sisters - if interested in making a buck - should do a reality tv show of themselves - forming a recording group. They do have a platform but have not used it wisely.

Right, there's no producers [[moneymen), no director, no script, no studio to market the film; contracts with Faith Evans haven't been signed.
    This film is in the talking, development stage and it can stay that way for years.
    James Gandolfini announced that he was making a film on Marvin Gaye with Jesse Martin; Someone else said they were making a Marvin Gaye biopic with Phillip Morris; We've yet to see Marvin's life story on the big screen.
    There have been numerous reports of films on Otis Redding & Sam Cooke, but no films have been made. Marlon Wayans was selected by Richard Pryor's wife to play Richard Pryor. Cameras have yet to roll. People announce films all the time, but until a budget [[MONEY) is in place, nothing happens.
    Since they are still in development & looking for money, there's time for Berry Gordy Jr. and Diana Ross to invest [[laughing). We'll see how quickly this Florence Ballard film gets made then.

Exactly. So if those biographies haven't got made yet, what makes anybody else thinks Flo's would be an easy production?

Please. LOL

And Berry & Diana ain't gonna get involved in the financing. Why? Because though Berry made money from Motown's music and Diana's wealthy, neither of them are the same "power figures" they were decades ago and Universal controls the Supremes' catalog along with the other Motown music.

And if no one's budgeting the films, it may take up to 30 years for a film to be produced. Meaning we won't ever get to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Exactly. So if those biographies haven't got made yet, what makes anybody else thinks Flo's would be an easy production?

Please. LOL

And Berry & Diana ain't gonna get involved in the financing. Why? Because though Berry made money from Motown's music and Diana's wealthy, neither of them are the same "power figures" they were decades ago and Universal controls the Supremes' catalog along with the other Motown music.
    I gotta disagree on your last point. When a producer is looking for money to finance a film, he or she is not concerned where the money comes from...just as long as the checks clear the bank. Ask Lee Daniels. What's to stop Berry Gordy or Diana Ross from forming a company and investing in this film [[secretly) and gaining control over its content? We already know the music is not going to be licensed for this film.

Motown_M, that was my thought. If Berry Gordy and Diane Ross are scurred about such a film being made, then maybe they should pay to keep the film from happening. It will not take 30 years, it will not take 3! If they want to be sure that a film on Florence's life is not made before they die, then they'd better pony up to the bar......NOW! It is all about money. Money to do it, money not to do it. I can promise you that this film concept will be an easy sell to the money people

Some guy made a "fantasy film" a couple of years ago about a Supremes Reunion. Clips of it are all over the internet. Several years ago, some guy instant messaged me on AOL and asked if I thought a film about the Supremes would sell and that he was writing a screen play. I said sure. Next thing I knew, he had gotten it together and made a movie LOL!!!!

One more thought. If I were Berry Gordy, I would not waste money trying to prevent it. I mean the story is already out there and has been for at least 25 years! Millions of people have already heard about the drama backstage with Flo and the Supremes. It is a part of American Pop Culture now. So much so that several years go the television comedy series "Living Single" did a parody of it.

There is a great story about Florence that only tangentally touches the Supremes; it doesn't need music; and Diana's role and Mary's role would be small. Kelly is a superb Mary.

But after reading these threads, it sounds like if there is any movie/tv movie or anything of any nature, we'll be lucky.

jonc Guest
    Some guy made a "fantasy film" a couple of years ago about a Supremes Reunion. Clips of it are all over the internet. Several years ago, some guy instant messaged me on AOL and asked if I thought a film about the Supremes would sell and that he was writing a screen play. I said sure. Next thing I knew, he had gotten it together and made a movie LOL!!!!
    I'm so glad Surakhan got your approval prior to making his "In The name Of Love" movie Marv2. His two dollar movie will get released when your hush hush "Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special" finally airs. LMFAO

http://www.buybooksontheweb.com/prod...=0-7414-5701-6

http://surakhan.net/

One never knows if it is Berry blocking music for these productions, or the price being asked for the licensing is above what producers are willing to pay. People have suspected that Berry still holds power like that, but nobody knows this for sure. Anyway... the Supremes sang plenty of songs that weren't published by Jobete. A creative person can work around such things, especially considering that Flo's solo in the live shows AND her lead on "Ain't That Good News" are BOTH published by people Berry has NO control over. and they could certainly use any and all of her ABC recordings. Universal may own them now, but they never were, no are they now, Jobete. And if I were doing the picture, I'd pull some sneaky shit. I'd have a scene where they get ready to appear on Hollywood Palace, have it introduced as "You Keep Me Hangin On", and THEN play the intro to "Keep the Ball Rollin", and dissolve to a backstage scene after the show before the singing starts. Most people wouldn't know the difference.

topdiva1 Guest
    Friends - the Flo Ballard story DOES NOT NEED The SUpremes songs - they can simple be reffered to - lord knows if they need songs there are plenty that are not from the motown jobete catalogue - they can go to the standards that the girls song on every TV show.

Or they can just skip to when Flo had left the Supremes and just save themselves from Motown drama. How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Or they can just skip to when Flo had left the Supremes and just save themselves from Motown drama. How about that?
    They could do that, but that ain't gonna fly! Midnightman, now you know better. The Old School crowd is going to want to see every bit of the story involving the young Supremes and Detroit in the 50's & 60's. The heavy part will come with the death scene and the funeral. Very heavy........

jonc Guest
    The heavy part will come with the death scene and the funeral. Very heavy........
    Very heavy and very sad indeed. I'm sure ushers will hand out Kleenex in the movie theaters Marvie.

topdiva1 Guest
    Florence Ballard - movie or not - is sure to remain an endearing legend for generations to come.

They could do that, but that ain't gonna fly! Midnightman, now you know better. The Old School crowd is going to want to see every bit of the story involving the young Supremes and Detroit in the 50's & 60's. The heavy part will come with the death scene and the funeral. Very heavy........
    And that's where the problems begin. In order for the full story to be told, there's gonna be a lot of work into making the film work and that would include the right to use music from the Motown days and then Flo's solo work. So in three years if this film don't come out, don't act surprised as to why.

phyl Guest
    Florence Ballard - movie or not - is sure to remain an endearing legend for generations to come.
    you got thatr right whwat motwon and berry gorody and dinaa ross did to flo was fukking wrong and its aboutg time eveyrone knows the wtruth.

It seems as if people want some kind of "truth" to be told about Diana and Berry and Flo and they are salavating over what could be. Thats all I've been reading, Diana this, Berry that. No mention of the other group member...Mary Wilson. You know they say be careful of what you wish for. I wonder how these people will feel if Mary is not portrayed in a good light. Diana was a selfish group member who wanted the spotlight to herself. Thats the worse thing in the world in some minds. But is it really that serious? I mean really. What if they deal with how Flo felt Mary was two faced? Surely they will show how mary sided with Berry and Diana to get Flo out of the group. Surely they will show how Mary went behind her friends back and taught the routines to Cindy. Then there is Flo, how will she be portrayed?
    Last edited by skooldem1; 10-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.

jonc Guest
    Marv2 predicted that Dreamgirls would finish Diana Ross, Marvie then went on to predict, with the help of his "vast" youtube fan base, Peter Benjaminson's "The Lost Supreme" would be a best seller and would finish Diana Ross. Neither finished or affected Miss Ross. LMFAO

Now Marv is salivating at the thought of this "rumored" Faith Evans -Flo Ballard biopic finishing Diana Ross, even though there is no movie studio or production company behind the "alleged" Evans movie.

Marv is the wannabe Jeanne Dixon of SDF even though none of his predictions ever come out in his favor. I predict this movie will get made and released when Marv's "hush hush" Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special airs on primetime TV.

Jonc;
    LMAOF
    You should have been a Preacher !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phyl View Post
    you got thatr right whwat motwon and berry gorody and dinaa ross did to flo was fukking wrong and its aboutg time eveyrone knows the wtruth.
    Hi Phyl, how are you? hehehehehehehe............

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It seems as if people want some kind of "truth" to be told about Diana and Berry and Flo and they are salavating over what could be. Thats all I've been reading, Diana this, Berry that. No mention of the other group member...Mary Wilson. You know they say be careful of what you wish for. I wonder how these people will feel if Mary is not portrayed in a good light. Diana was a selfish group member who wanted the spotlight to herself. Thats the worse thing in the world in some minds. But is it really that serious? I mean really. What if they deal with how Flo felt Mary was two faced? Surely they will show how mary sided with Berry and Diana to get Flo out of the group. Surely they will show how Mary went behind her friends back and taught the routines to Cindy. Then there is Flo, how will she be portrayed?
    Regarding Mary teaching Cindy Birdsong routines, I think Mary did what the boss ordered. Cholly Atkins also taught Cindy Birdsong "routines" and I know he loved Flo.

Cindy Birdsong has said that she had the hardest time getting Mary Wilson to warm up to her, but that she understood because she was being brought in to replace Mary's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    One never knows if it is Berry blocking music for these productions, or the price being asked for the licensing is above what producers are willing to pay. People have suspected that Berry still holds power like that, but nobody knows this for sure. Anyway... the Supremes sang plenty of songs that weren't published by Jobete. A creative person can work around such things, especially considering that Flo's solo in the live shows AND her lead on "Ain't That Good News" are BOTH published by people Berry has NO control over. and they could certainly use any and all of her ABC recordings. Universal may own them now, but they never were, no are they now, Jobete. And if I were doing the picture, I'd pull some sneaky shit. I'd have a scene where they get ready to appear on Hollywood Palace, have it introduced as "You Keep Me Hangin On", and THEN play the intro to "Keep the Ball Rollin", and dissolve to a backstage scene after the show before the singing starts. Most people wouldn't know the difference.

Some very good points Jill! The sneaky stuff and other "tricks" could work to get around certain scenes. They could also benefit from the use of other "period characters" music like Aretha Franklin and James Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    You know I've noticed whenever someone talks about the Supremes, it's never about the group's legacy. It was always about some type of drama. It's excused as "passion" over here but I find it quite revolting. Didn't Diana or Flo themselves say the Supremes weren't as close as Mary's book indicated? We didn't live their lives but yet I almost feel like some here are like 60 or something to have such "visual memory" of some backstabbing by Diana and the Supremes. Much like, oh what's his name, that author who claimed he was Flo's best friend and David's adopted son? lol no seriously I know who it is, I don't want to be reminded LMAO

Like y'all said, this is supposed to be about Flo and the others are not that involved right. Well except Mary of course.

topdiva1 Guest
    Flo's story is very powerful and I am sure their are many who do not want it made to a movie. I cannot see Mary, Duanea, or Berry = liking this one bit. Although I am sure they will make politically correct statements if it does get made. Motowners always save face.

jonc Guest
    Flo's story is very powerful and I am sure their are many who do not want it made to a movie. I cannot see Mary, Duanea, or Berry = liking this one bit. Although I am sure they will make politically correct statements if it does get made. Motowners always save face.
    Given that you claimed to be extremely close to Florence Ballard in your book "All That Glittered" have you been contacted to either advise or be in the Faith Evans/Flo movie TopDiva? If I recall correctly the author mentioned you scores of times in his biogrpahy although he called you Tony Tucker instead of Viscountess Turner.

topdiva1 Guest
    If and when this movie is done - it will be a hit because of the amount of controversy it will generate - prior to it's opening. I am sure we all hope for the best film possible - given the urban legends that surround all of The Supremes.

phyl Guest
    Hi Phyl, how are you? hehehehehehehe............
    im dioing good marv my mans frank is in illliniois visiting hwis childrine so i got some spare time i love how y oure staiding up for mary wislon here shes the supreme surpeme and i love you and i love mayr very much. is cj a memember heere he needs to be here hes god pepeole and he stnads up for may wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by phyl View Post
    im dioing good marv my mans frank is in illliniois visiting hwis childrine so i got some spare time i love how y oure staiding up for mary wislon here shes the supreme surpeme and i love you and i love mayr very much. is cj a memember heere he needs to be here hes god pepeole and he stnads up for may wilson.
    But I love you more Phyl! You CJ has a new record out right?

topdiva1 Guest
    Faith Evans is getting a lot of buzz about this film, but will a bigger name than Faith Evans go after this part - with that maybe a real STAR can get it done.

Who else could play Flo?

Hey wasn't that movie called-fried green tomatoes??

Rosie Perez looks like Flo, but I have not seen her in years.

topdiva1 Guest
    Mary J Blige as - Diana Ross

Kelly Rowland as - Mary Wilson

Faith Evans as - Flo Ballard

Leon - as Tommy Chapman

Danny Devito as Berry Gordy - [[ I was casting by height) LOL