[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Florence Ballard bio-pic to be made....

I was just flipping through the channels when I came across Faith Evans on the BET show "106 & Park" and she stated that she was just cast as the lead in a bio-pic about Florence Ballard which is set to start filming in January 2011. Has anyone heard about this? She stated it on national television. There has to be some truth. I can't see her lying about something like this.

That is wonderful news! Maybe "someone" has been reading all the discussions, all these years we've had on the subject and the fact that Faith would be perfect to play Florence. Thank you Brad.

Almost incredible the resemblance, huh?
    Last edited by marv2; 10-05-2010 at 08:59 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Well she does have the look - has she acted before.

I don't know if she has [[acted before),but she has two of the three ingredients to play this role 1) the look and 2) the vocal ability. I remember way back there was this skinny, bug eyed singer that had never acted before and they gave her a shot at it and it wasn't bad.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-05-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Hallelujah!! YES!! This is wonderful news!! She's PERFECT to play the part of Flo!! And it is true...this news is ALL OVER the Faith Evans Message Boards. WOW!! Can't wait!

Sorry marv your wrong that bug eyed girl your referring to had played a nun,harpo marx,w c fields......

Now, will the controversy begin.......or will it wait?

Nomis, you lost me.

Oh you mean the one that played a Nun on Tarzan? LOL!!!! oh LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Well she does have the look - has she acted before.
    She had a small role as Cuba Gooding,Jr.'s mother in the film THE FIGHTING TEMPTATIONS.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now, will the controversy begin.......or will it wait?
    This could finish Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    Chile please..LOL

topdiva1 Guest

chile - you are madder than anyone thought - NOTHING can finish Diana Ross - she will always endure.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    chile - you are madder than anyone thought - NOTHING can finish Diana Ross - she will always endure.
    I'm not so sure about that. The smash movie "In The Name Of Love" didn't help Miss Ross much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysW2o3odjlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaME7...eature=related

It's a travesty that this critically acclaimed movie was ignored by the Oscars.
    Last edited by jonc; 10-05-2010 at 11:54 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Does anyone know if the Flo movie will be based on Maxine Ballard's book about her sister? It was such a good book and would make a wonderful basis for a motion picture.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Flo movie will be based on Maxine Ballard's book about her sister? It was such a good book and would make a wonderful basis for a motion picture.
    Maxine's book was fascinating. Her chapter on menstruating really made the reader feel like they were a tampon or a Kotex.

Maxine's book was fascinating. Her chapter on menstruating really made the reader feel like they were a tampon or a Kotex.

I will only believe it if I see it. Faith Evans portraying Florence Ballard at what stage in the subject's life? Flo's later years back in Detroit? Faith Evans is no longer signed to a major label. She has had some personal challenges of late including weight gain and A DUI charge. What company is producing this proposed film? Tyler Perry? Surely not a major studio, so I'd expect something low budget at best.
    Projects like this are announced all the time, but never get made. Tyrese was telling media he was going to portray Teddy Pendergrass, but that film has yet to be made.

RossHolloway Guest
    Well I just don't see UM signing off on a project using the Supremes music if the movie trashes Diana Ross. And I don't think you can make a film about Florence Ballard without the use of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Well I just don't see UM signing off on a project using the Supremes music if the movie trashes Diana Ross. And I don't think you can make a film about Florence Ballard without the use of the music.

UM would not license music for the episode of UNSUNG on Florence Ballard. I tend to agree, I don't see the company licensing music for a biopic on Florence Ballard.

I don't buy it either,if berry is shown in a bad light he's gonna sue the pants off em as would diana and you know those two are gonna be public enemy 1&2 in any movie about flo's career at motown...remember the marvin gaye movie from twenty years ago with phil morris in the lead,sank like the titantic didn't it? I don't see this movie happening anytime soon either!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Well isn't that interesting...UM cooperated with the episodes on Teena Marie and Tammi Terrell. Heck Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson even appeared in the Teena Marie episode. Is Diana Ross still that powerful at UM?

I ain't buying that sh*t.

Yet.

Well isn't that interesting...UM cooperated with the episodes on Teena Marie and Tammi Terrell. Heck Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson even appeared in the Teena Marie episode. Is Diana Ross still that powerful at UM?
    Diana and Motown split a long time ago so no.

RossHolloway Guest
    I know they split, but I'm sure all she has to do is make a call to BG and the issue is "taken care of" lol.

Music biography films don't get cast and financed without first knowing what music can or can't be licensed. They could go the controversal route and show everything except what happens on the stage or if they write in "People" that belongs to Styne not UMG.

I just wanna know....

What it's based on, Maxine's book? Taraborelli's? The Lost Supreme? All That Glittered? or perhaps a bit of all of them....

and has Faith overcome her, ahem, substance issues to clear the insurance physical to get the film made?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Music biography films don't get cast and financed without first knowing what music can or can't be licensed. They could go the controversal route and show everything except what happens on the stage or if they write in "People" that belongs to Styne not UMG.

I just wanna know....

What it's based on, Maxine's book? Taraborelli's? The Lost Supreme? All That Glittered? or perhaps a bit of all of them....

and has Faith overcome her, ahem, substance issues to clear the insurance physical to get the film made?
    Probably not. I was just reading how Hollywood is not making drama films for black audiences. I really doubt this get made.

Low budget or otherwise, I'm sure this could be an entertaining and good movie or TV movie or whatever. Florence Ballard had a Billie Holiday style life ~ it would make the kind of story that people are interested in; turmoil, trauma, rags to riches and back to rags.

As for using Motown music, I'm sure that when Berry Gordy sold Jobete that he ensured no Jobete Music could be used in a movie about him or "his family" during their lives or the lives of his children without his consent or the consent of his estate; and his family includes Rhonda and Diana.

But that is irrelevant to any show on Flo; her story may be interesting to the masses because it is attached to Motown/Berry/Diana/The Supremes. But the story stands alone on it's own without any music and as Flo's story in it's own right.

I know they split, but I'm sure all she has to do is make a call to BG and the issue is "taken care of" lol.
    You're giving Diana too much credit. Besides she don't even f***s with BG like that anymore. Or anyone from Motown, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Probably not. I was just reading how Hollywood is not making drama films for black audiences. I really doubt this get made.
    Exactly. Look how long it's taken for anyone connected to a Marvin film project to get their films on Marvin done.

topdiva1 Guest
    In the remote chance that anything arise that Ross cannot handle, but BG can - YES - she will make that call and request. And yes - if he can get it done - then it will be done

Or so they say.

It's not exactly 1971 lol

Besides I heard that Faith was playing Flo years ago... just saying.

To be honest though besides from the both of them styling dirty blond hair and having light skin, their builds are not similar to me.

topdiva1 Guest
    I give you that - however Diana was no where near looking like or sounding like Billie Holiday - and she did a great job in portraying the essence of Ms. Holiday.

However, I have been told that Hollywood has long wanted to do a story on The Supremes, [[ like 30 years) but somehow and someway - someone has always been able to block even the most powerful of Hollywood moguls. And without the music the chance of this being done is extremely slight - unless it is a small indeoendant project.

It's in the sales agreement for the sale of Jobete Music................you can't have a perpetuity; but you can agree to prohibit for the life and lives in being plus 80 years, the use of any music licensed by Jobete Music or their successors in any movie/video/tv show depicting Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, Rhonda Ross or the Supremes.

So you take 80 years and add it on to the date of the death of the last of Berry, Diana, or Rhonda to die................and by that time, use the music for the proper price; because it's a great story that should be told; and it will still matter, just not in a personal way.

I cannot imagine that Berry's lawyers did anything less than that. THAT'S why no music ever gets licensed. You can bet after he dies they will need the consent of Diana, Rhonda and after they are gone, the heirs of Berry's estate.

This made me laugh right out loud.

I don't know what kind of movie it would be as far as the real story. Who's point of view? Florence's, Motown's, the
    Supremes', Maxine's, Peter Benjaminson's???? Frankly, I didn't find Maxine's book informative at all. And she certainly
    was careful with what she wrote to not offend Diana Ross or Berry Gordy in my opinion.
    I just don't really see it happening, the movie. Actually, wasn't Dream Girls based on the Supremes and Florence?

Maybe this is "Dreamgirls II" and the story starts where "Dreamgirls" left off; a real sucky sequel like "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" or "Speed 2".

Since none of us know shite, it sure is fun to speculate!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's in the sales agreement for the sale of Jobete Music................you can't have a perpetuity; but you can agree to prohibit for the life and lives in being plus 80 years, the use of any music licensed by Jobete Music or their successors in any movie/video/tv show depicting Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, Rhonda Ross or the Supremes.

So you take 80 years and add it on to the date of the death of the last of Berry, Diana, or Rhonda to die................and by that time, use the music for the proper price; because it's a great story that should be told; and it will still matter, just not in a personal way.

I cannot imagine that Berry's lawyers did anything less than that. THAT'S why no music ever gets licensed. You can bet after he dies they will need the consent of Diana, Rhonda and after they are gone, the heirs of Berry's estate.

You may be very wrong - who would buy that, pay a fortue and cannot use it for 80 years.

Great point TopDiva. Besides, Florence Ballard's story is the most compelling to come out of the Motown Story overall.

topdiva1 Guest
    From all the things I have read on Florence Ballard it is a compelling and sad story - rags to riches - and back - that does not need music.

My casting choice for Tony Turner would be Jaiden Smith but they'd probably cast Willow Smith instead because she can "whip her hair"

Vivica Fox would be great as an older Mary Wilson if they use artistic license and go past Flos living years.....

Berry Gordy, Diane Ross notwithstanding, the Florence Ballard story is never going away. If they are concerned about looking bad, then maybe they should have behaved better?

I don't believe this fim is anywhere near the filming stage. I deal with entertainment information all day long for my job and I have heard nothing about it at all. Something like this would be all over the trade papers and online entertainment sites. You would know who was producing, directing, etc. So far there has been nothing. It is pretty common for an actor who wants to do a project or get one off the ground to begin talking about thae project. Sometimes it can kickstart the project and sometimes backfire and stop the production from going forward. If you look at a lot of the entertainment magazines that were published in the 1970's you'll see tons of performers and producers talking about projects like the project was all set to go. Trouble is, it was never heard of again, or it didn't get funding, or it was put in turnaround and forgotten.....

topdiva1 Guest
    Berry Gordy, Diane Ross notwithstanding, the Florence Ballard story is never going away. If they are concerned about looking bad, then maybe they should have behaved better?
    No one, I believe, back then thought that all these years later - poeple would still be interested in that "...Ballard bitch". They thought of Flo as disposable, in as much as they thought about Mary Wilson , the same way - well they have all been proven wrong.

[[quote from ALL THAT GLITTERED)

Extremely wrong! They need to finally get it. The public fell in love with THREE young woman called the Supremes. The young ones are learning about Florence now and they want to know more and more.

olamaebarto Guest
    Oh my dear god! Well if they base this film on that book I hope it's not in 3-D!

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Maybe this is "Dreamgirls II" and the story starts where "Dreamgirls" left off; a real sucky sequel like "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" or "Speed 2".

Since none of us know shite, it sure is fun to speculate!
    Just as long as it's not like the sequel to "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

topdiva1 Guest
    Extremely wrong! They need to finally get it. The public fell in love with THREE young woman called the Supremes. The young ones are learning about Florence now and they want to know more and more.

The Supremes are a huge part of musical history - and all the ladies, especially the orginal three - will be discussed and debated for years,

Maybe they can write it in a way so they don't have to mention Diane or Berry, hehehehehehehe.......! LOL!

topdiva1 Guest
    And co-starring Kelly Rowland as Mary Wilson.