[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    alexgarret Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    "From the audience" and opposed to "From the backstage area". If you must know the details he set up his camera in a stationary, out of the way location in the AUDIENCE AREA OF THE THEATER. Geez.
    Right - because none of the theater staff would notice a camera set up - next?

supremester Guest

Exclamation

Quite a few - including Endless love - her biggest record ever - recorded AFTER she signed with RCA..... Berry had nothing to do with it and it was originally set to go out on RCA, but Diana pulled strings to give it to Berry and it was Ok'd.
    Additionally, she had 6 other top 20 pop singles, chart topping
    R&B, AC, Dance hits, gold and platinum albums not to mention major single and album hits internationally - a bigger market than the US. Certainly, her US success was greater at Motown, but VERY VERY few acts ever chart as high in their 3rd decade as they do in their first two.
    Interesting also is the fact that Berry Gordy was against The Boss and diana, but she did them anyway - to huge success.

Michael is the ONLY Motown act from the 60's to do better in the 80s.

LOL

Just sayin.................

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You see how many hits she's had since she left Berry! LOL!!!

Of course not. He's just a lowly grip.
    A lowly grip with time on his hands to tape the play and send it to you. And not one single soul saw him. Now aint that something. LOL

Roberta

You can plant YOUR lips right on my ass.
    Im the wrong gender for you honey but thanks for the offer.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    A lowly grip with time on his hands to tape the play and send it to you. And not one single soul saw him. Now aint that something. LOL

Roberta
    Obviously you don't know what a grip does. They set up the hardware portions of the lighting. Plenty of equpiment and support structures to rest a small camera on, and just leave it to run. You don't have to stand there and hold it the whole time! The ignorance astounds me. But fine... you'll find out for yourself, when Diana never attends a single one of these performances.

alexgarret Guest
    Of course not. He's just a lowly grip.
    A "lowly" grip? I admire all the talent that it takes to put on a production and don't consider any of them "lowly". I'm sure your friend is pleased.

supremester Guest
    There was a lot of Flo footage, and Jean Terrell, is a very talented footnote in the Motown Story. They had one big hit, one successful album, and several middling hits. I don't think they sold 10 million records in 3 years, but certainly 5.
    Rare Earth? I had 3 of their singles but again, you have to draw the line somewhere. No one is owed anything - there are no "shoulds" it was a TV special and an artistic vision, like the play. There is no right or wrong. The play could have been about the working relationship between Berry & Smokey with Diana having 6 lines and that would have been fine also. Look how Gone With The Wind was edited for the film - you can cut whatever you need to tell the story. A documentary would be different. This is an entertainment piece. Jean Terrell? I doubt anyone will notice her absence. No one is crabbing about Gladys not being mentioned in the play.

They should have at least mentioned Jean Terrell. They didn't even mention Florence Ballard by name and she help sell more records when she was in the Supremes than most of those others. They didn't even show a picture of Rare Earth@!!!!

supremester Guest
    Mary Wells was billed as The Queen Of Motown until she split. My bud still calls her Queen Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The play used ensemble players for Martha and the Vandellas. They played various roles. They sang but did not speak.

The main cast was Berry, Diana, Smokey and Marvin.

Ensemble players played the Four Tops, Lionel, Norman, Marvelletes Supremes,Jr Walker, Tempts,Contours, J-5, Commodores, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, HDH, Rick James, and Mickey Stevenson. I don't think any other Motown acts were featured. While the ensamble played various roles, the actresses that portrayed Mary and Flo only played Mary and Flo. The actress that played Cindy also played Gwen GOrdy, a Vandella, & Gladys Horton. Speaking of Gladys Horton reminds me that Gladys Knight and the Pips were not part of the show

Mary Wells was referred to as the Queen of Motown, although I always remember her being referred to as First Lady of Motown

supremester Guest
    Yeah they could have, but why bother? Almost no one really cares that much about JMC or Jean and I never heard a peep about her not being mentioned. All I heard was no Marvelettes and Gladys refused. It won Emmys and huge ratings. I would have preferred Martha & Mary Wells given more time - they were huge Motown stars, but the lock kept ticking. I'd have pulled Adam Ant out but they kept it in. He still talks about his dance with Diana as a high point of his career. LOL.

In the video montage. You had the Supremes performance clips, ending with the Sullivan in the gold dresses. THEN you had a still photo montage, all of Diana in solo shots. ONE of those still pictures could have been of Jean, Mary, and Cindy. I didn't ask for a SEGMENT, I ask for the woman's face to be flashed on the screen for TWO SECONDS.

supremester Guest
    I prefer Miss Ross and Martha & Tammi and Gladys to Jean. Technically, I'd vote Diana and Gladys.

QUOTE=marv2;154058]The producers and certain people want to pretend that Jean Terrell never made an impact when she was probably the greatest female vocalist technically Motown ever had.[/QUOTE]

supremester Guest
    I don't think he'll reply to that one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Well then by that logic he also made Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, Mary Wells, etc.

supremester Guest
    Only the public can make a star. You can mold guide cajoll or tear all the 20's in half you want, but only the public decides. Take 2 copies of Citizen Kane and call me in the morning.

It is true. Berry Gordy made "Diana Ross" whether she or her fans like it or not!

One thing positive I will say, that boy they have playing Michael Jackson is really good! They did a real good job with the making the clothes look right, those peach colored trousers and brown and orange patterened shirt they put him were very authentic. And I also am in total agreement with everyone else in that the Doris Day and Tony Bennett segements need to GO. Tedious BS that is not needed.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Only the public can make a star. You can mold guide cajoll or tear all the 20's in half you want, but only the public decides. Take 2 copies of Citizen Kane and call me in the morning.
    LOL! If you trade me Diana Ross for Anna Sten, Lucille Bremer, Vera Hruba Ralston, Bella Darvi, and Pia Zadora, I would still be way ahead.

LOL
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by alexgarret View Post
    Right - because none of the theater staff would notice a camera set up - next?
    Your'e so right... it's virtually impossible to tape a broadway play and get away with it.

alexgarret Guest
    Your'e so right... it's virtually impossible to tape a broadway play and get away with it.

So "your'e" saying this is from a lowly grip and not an audience member?

alexgarret Guest
    and this is what happens when you get caught

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruzPfJ9Rys

So "your'e" saying this is from a lowly grip and not an audience member?
    No, this one is obviously from an audience member. Appears to be in the balcony.

alexgarret Guest
    So no response on "lowly grip"? We all know you are into class warfare by posting the "who would you rather" of Flo and the lovely Andante.

jillfoster the boy playing Michael looks real good on the clips I saw on youtube and yes the peach colored pants and brown and orange patterened shirt they put him were real authentic. We probably saw the same youtube clips. I agree when we all read 'Miltons review' it probably hit us all that Doris day and tony bennett parts need to get cut.

Roberta

alexgarret Guest
    So no response on "lowly grip"? We all know you are into class warfare by posting the "who would you rather" of Flo and the lovely Andante.
    crickets....

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    jillfoster the boy playing Michael looks real good on the clips I saw on youtube and yes the peach colored pants and brown and orange patterened shirt they put him were real authentic. We probably saw the same youtube clips. I agree when we all read 'Miltons review' it probably hit us all that Doris day and tony bennett parts need to get cut. Roberta
    I think I'm gonna have to ask you for receipt. I've only seen youtube clips where the young talented boy playing Michael where he is wearing tan pants and the purple fringe vest. The tape I saw, he was wearing trousers that were a dark, dusty peach color, and a polyester type shirt that was bronzy brown and burnt orange in a diagonal, striped, crisscross type pattern. If there is a youtube clip of him wearing that, I apologize, but I have not seen it.

I finally know what a "grip" does. Thank you. I learned something in this thread.

Penny
    AVON for Broadway Shows!

smark21 Guest
    Are these the videos you’ve seen?

http://www.youtube.com/user/motownthemusical

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Are these the videos you’ve seen?

http://www.youtube.com/user/motownthemusical
    Those are publicity clips. Since Jillfoster has the entire show, it would be nice if the entire performance by Raymond Luke Jr as Michael was posted on Youtube so we can all enjoy it. It was the closest thing to a show stopper in the show.

Rosa Refried Guest
    and this is what happens when you get caught

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruzPfJ9Rys
    You gotta love La Patti!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Those are publicity clips. Since Jillfoster has the entire show, it would be nice if the entire performance by Raymond Luke Jr as Michael was posted on Youtube so we can all enjoy it. It was the closest thing to a show stopper in the show.
    LOL i wouldnt hold your breath waiting for jillfosters clip from the 'tape' he claims to have Milven.

Roberta

alexgarret Guest

... love the line in this promo ..."it's motown, and it's motown authentically presented on broadway"!

'Motown: The Musical' earns $1 million its first week on Broadway

By Jamie Wetherbe

Motown founder Berry Gordy has another hit on his hands: "Motown: The Musical" cracked the million-dollar mark after its first week of previews on Broadway.

The show grossed $1.03 million after seven performances starting March 11 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre in New York, according to the Broadway League. "Motown" this week starts its eight-performance standard schedule, priming the production to become a regular among Broadway's top earners.

The show charts Gordy's career from boxer to music mogul, punctuated with hits from Motown heavyweights and a romance with Diana Ross.

The production, which officially opens April 14, stars Tony nominee Brandon Victor Dixon [["The Color Purple") and Valisia Lekae [["The Book of Mormon") as Gordy and Ross. Raymond Luke Jr., Jibreel Mawry, Bryan Terrell Clark and Charl Brown round out the cast.

Another newcomer also hit the million-dollar mark for the week ending March 17. Nora Ephron’s soon-to-open drama, “Lucky Guy,” starring Tom Hanks and Maura Tierney, grossed $1.29 million at the Broadhurst Theatre.

Other top earners for the week included "Wicked" [[$1.95 million), "The Lion King"[[$1.78 million), "The Book of Mormon" [[$1.67 million), "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" [[$1.26 million), "Cinderella" [[$1.1 million) and "The Phantom of the Opera" [[$1.07 million).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,3492678.story

the sad part of this musical is that no doubt mary Wilson will come out of the woodwork just to score even more points about Diana ross, although I loved all the three supremes people are a little tired of this continuous Diana ross baiting..Mary was a important part as was Florence and cindy but she really needs to let go.. you never hear cindy bad mouth anyone and that shows class

Welcome to the forum, willtomb.
    But I do have a few questions. Have you been in contact with Mary? Has she told you personally that this is what she is planning to do?
    If you have read through several of the posts in the Motown forum, you would see that Mary Wilson has been keeping herself quite busy and has not been hiding in any woodwork, as you put it. If you are not in frequent contact with Mary Wilson, there is no way that you can state that NO DOUBT this is what Mary will do.
    If you read through several posts in the Motown Forum, you will see that it is not the Supremes themselves who fan the flames, but rather a certain type of fan [[one with a bias for one Supreme over another/others) who sometimes knowingly and sometimes unknowingly stirs the pot.
    Various posters have reminded us that each Supreme has her strengths and each Supreme has her faults. Some Supremes have had differences in the past but have attempted to/have moved on past them and gotten on with their lives.
    It's a shame that some fans haven't.

A very intuitive post Carole. Hopefully you have nipped something in the bud [[though I doubt it). Could not agree more.

It's a hit already?!

Look at the kid who plays Michael jackson with the lady who play Mary Wells.Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 3.36.04 PM.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  12.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's a hit already?!
    It's too early to call it a hit. [[It didn't even open yet. First week of previews) But if continues to do as well as it did this week and the critics don't kill it when it opens, it will be a hit. It did 100 % capacity this week

Production
    [[Theatre) Gross Gross Attendance Prev. Perf. Seats Avg. Paid Admission % Cap.

Ann
    [[Beaumont) $376,134 5,923 0 8 1,113 $63.50 66.5%
    Annie
    [[Palace) $814,915 9,648 0 8 1,708 $84.46 70.6%
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    [[Cort) $396,866 6,632 8 0 1,079 $59.84 76.8%
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
    [[Rodgers) $693,100 7,259 0 8 1,384 $95.48 65.6%
    Chicago
    [[Ambassador) $649,577 7,897 0 8 1,080 $82.26 91.4%
    Cinderella
    [[Broadway) $1,102,496 12,132 0 8 1,751 $90.88 86.6%
    Hands on a Hardbody
    [[Atkinson) $196,151 5,624 8 0 1,023 $34.88 68.7%
    Jersey Boys
    [[Wilson) $905,013 9,263 0 8 1,228 $97.70 94.3%
    Kinky Boots
    [[Hirschfeld) $714,331 9,632 7 0 1,424 $74.16 96.6%
    Lucky Guy
    [[Broadhurst) $1,294,233 9,545 8 0 1,182 $135.59 100.9%
    Mamma Mia!
    [[Winter Garden) $749,447 9,340 0 8 1,479 $80.24 78.9%
    Matilda
    [[Shubert) $835,432 9,946 7 0 1,427 $84.00 99.6%
    Motown
    [[Lunt-Fontanne) $1,029,883 10,554 7 0 1,465 $97.58 102.9%
    Newsies
    [[Nederlander) $951,680 9,554 0 8 1,195 $99.61 99.9%
    Nice Work If You Can Get It
    [[Imperial) $650,966 8,287 0 8 1,439 $78.55 72.0%
    Once
    [[Jacobs) $977,861 8,472 0 8 1,058 $115.42 100.1%
    Rock of Ages
    [[Hayes) $420,521 4,460 0 8 583 $94.29 95.6%
    Spider-Man…Dark
    [[Foxwoods) $1,264,081 14,360 0 8 1,930 $88.03 93.0%
    The Book of Mormon
    [[O'Neill) $1,667,180 8,752 0 8 1,066 $190.49 102.6%
    The Lion King
    [[Minskoff) $1,776,767 13,134 0 8 1,677 $135.28 97.9%
    The Phantom of the Opera
    [[Majestic) $1,065,032 12,681 0 8 1,605 $83.99 98.8%
    Vanya and…Spike
    [[Golden) $338,621 6,088 3 5 787 $55.62 96.7%
    Wicked
    [[Gershwin) $1,950,727 14,409 0 8 1,809 $135.38 99.6

Ollie,
    Thanks for pointing out a potential problem. He's right gang. Let's keep this conversation on point.

Carole,
    Your very wise words have been said before. Too bad some don't listen.

smark21 Guest
    Mary has been very positive about the 60s Supremes for a number of years now and has kept whatever issues she may have to herself in her interviews. As Carole states, it’s just a few of the fans who like to stir up the old wars and sometimes fans like Willtomb [[what a name!) project their frustrations with fan wars unto a particular Supremes or else they ‘re projecting their own negative intentions on whichever group member vexes them.

I believe the previews are playing at near 100% capacity---I tried to get a ticket last week but only premium tickets were available that night. Looks like I’ll have to either pre order or wait awhile as I suspect the show will be running for awhile.

alexgarret Guest
    Impressive first week box office! I was wondering if this would be a Baby, It's You or a Jersey Boys. Looks like it may be a Mama Mia - the critics hate it but the masses love it. It would be great if it's the latter or a Jersey Boys because it will be great for the Motown brand and New York tourism. I know hard core New Yorkers snub their noses at tourists, but I'm one of those at least twice a year and spend big bucks when I'm in the city.

I can't wait to see this play Motown The Muscial,no matter what people say lol
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I can't wait to see this play Motown The Musical,no matter what people say lol
    Please stay positive
    So far, the only people that I have heard talking negatively about the musical are people who have not seen it. I have no trouble staying positive about this musical.

Impressive first week box office! I was wondering if this would be a Baby, It's You or a Jersey Boys. Looks like it may be a Mama Mia - the critics hate it but the masses love it. It would be great if it's the latter or a Jersey Boys because it will be great for the Motown brand and New York tourism. I know hard core New Yorkers snub their noses at tourists, but I'm one of those at least twice a year and spend big bucks when I'm in the city.
    I don't think I qualify as a hard core New Yorker, but I don't look down my nose at tourists in NYC. If we are sitting next to tourists in a theatre, we discuss plays that they saw and intend to see. I've never seen Mama Mia. But I have seen JERSEY BOYS, MOTOWN THE MUSICAL and BABY IT'S YOU. I enjoyed all three. I hope MOTOWN THE MUSICAL is a hit.

Great start.

Maybe someday in the next year I will got to NYC and see it and stop at the Museum in Detroit and see it.

So, after Broadway, do these shows sometimes do tours around the country in a few years? How does that work?

omg...and let it be written...

smark21 Guest
    If a Broadway musical proves to be something of a hit, then generally a year or two after its official opening there will be official road tour productions that will hit the road. Also if Motown hits, I wouldn’t be shocked if there will be a Vegas production as several Broadway shows such as Lion King have been playing for a long time in Vegas.

And with Britain's love of Motown, it may even wind up in the West End

alexgarret Guest
    Sales for the next 6 weeks look pretty good

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?t...wn+the+musical

hi carol cucumber

if you had actually read what I wrote ...I said I loved all the supremes and was not fanning any flames its people like you who fan the flames because someone dared to dsay something about ONE of them ....you need to grow up[

Quote Originally Posted by willtomb View Post
    if you had actually read what I wrote ...I said I loved all the supremes and was not fanning any flames its people like you who fan the flames because someone dared to dsay something about ONE of them ....you need to grow up[
    I don't see Carole's post as being particularly confrontational. Anyone who posts here on Supremes' topics [[and this isn't even a Supremes' thread) are advised to tread carefully and to develop a thick skin.