[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Motown Musical: Official Thread

Today is the day that the Motown Musical opens for previews on Broadway. Please post any pictures or reviews that you come across.

smark21 Guest
    Here's a message board thread on Motown the Musical at broadway.com.

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readm...=1057480&dt=30

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Here's a message board thread on Motown the Musical at broadway.com.

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readm...=1057480&dt=30
    Is it mostly homosexual gentlemen that posts on the broadwayworld website smark21? My homosexual nephew and his friends and my homosexual coworkers and friends are real real knowledeable when it come to Broadway plays. I'm going to recomend this site to them. The funny thing is my lesbian lady friends could care less about Broadway musicals.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Is it mostly homosexual gentlemen that posts on the broadwayworld website smark21? My homosexual nephew and his friends and my homosexual coworkers and friends are real real knowledeable when it come to Broadway plays. I'm going to recomend this site to them. The funny thing is my lesbian lady friends could care less about Broadway musicals.

Roberta
    I'm perplexed by your question. Is your belief that only homosexual gentlemen are interested in theater? I don't dare ask what your conclusion is about people who like watermellon?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I'm perplexed by your question. Is your belief that only homosexual gentlemen are interested in theater? I don't dare ask what your conclusion is about people who like watermellon?
    Oh I dont mean to offend abyone Milvin so please forgive me as that wasnt my intent i was only asking if it was a website for homosexual gentlemen so I could recomend it to my homosexual nephew and my homosexual gentlemen friends. The homosexual gentlemen that I know sure know a lot about musical theater and I maen that as a compliment.

That said however your watermellon comment could be misconstrud as real insulting.

Roberta

Both the watermelon and the theatre comment can be construed as insulting. That is the point that I was making. Most of the audience in a Broadway Theatre is not gay. And not all gay people like theatre. I realize that you were not trying to offend anyone.

Back on topic, tomorrow UMG is releasing a CD of the music that inspired MOTOWN THE MUSICAL. And they are also releasing a two CD deluxe version.

I think the musical only covers the first 25 years of Motown
    Last edited by milven; 03-11-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Both the watermelon and the theatre comment can be construed as insulting. That is the point that I was making. Most of the audience in a Broadway Theatre is not gay. And not all gay people like theatre. I realize that you were not trying to offend anyone.

Back on topic, tomorrow UMG is releasing a CD of the music that inspired MOTOWN THE MUSICAL. And they are also releasing a two CD deluxe version.

I think the musical only covers the first 25 years of Motown
    Thank you as i was never meant to insult anyone so I am real happy we are ok and not insulted or offended.

Im looking forward to hearing from folks who go see the Motown musical this week.

Fondly.

Roberta

Yes, we are okay I am looking forward to reading what the professional critics say when it opens next month. As a Motown lover, I am going with a positive attitude and expect to enjoy it

Yes, we are okay I am looking forward to reading what the professional critics say when it opens next month. As a Motown lover, I am going with a positive attitude and expect to enjoy it
    Here is something to tease you until then Milven.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1283363

smark21 Guest
    Here are the comments of someone who attended last night's show at the broadway message board:

I'm just getting home from Motown; the show got out at 11:05 and could do with a little trimming. I think it would be unfair to say it's bad or awful, and while I certainly wouldn't call it well-crafted, it does have some things going for it.

For the record Morgan James is just fine in a handful of roles. I just couldn't resist reminding us of her tweets during Shakespeare in the Park. Well, Motown isn't Sondheim and it sure ain't Shakespeare neither! Maybe she should keep in mind something from her previous Broadway credit: Those who exalt themselves shall be humbled, and those who humble themselves shall be exalted.

But back to Motown. The good is that these people can sing and dance their asses off, and they keep the energy level at a 10 for the entire show. When the production focuses on the songs it can explode- numbers like Dancing in the Street and the Jackson Five sequences had the crowd going wild.

If I counted correctly the show lists SIXTY-FIVE numbers in the song list. Many of the songs are only performed for about 90 seconds, but still it's a lot of material to get through. I realize they have such a crazy catalog to pick from, but it's too much. Plus when you hear so many songs it just makes the show feel so damn long.

I like they didn't skimp on ensemble members. Still, like in Baby, It's You everyone plays four different roles. There are costume and wig changes galore. In fact it often feels like Baby, It's You, but with more money, actual sets instead of cheap projections, better choreography, slicker direction and no Beth.

The book is really atrocious and took some balls to write. It really is the greatest love letter to oneself that you can imagine. Even Yoko didn't go this far giving herself sainthood in Lennon. The story is framed by Motown's 25th anniversary and Berry doesn't want to go to the party. All the people that he helped create, all the stars who he gave his blood, sweat and tears to have all left him. They were ungrateful for all the hard work he did. Why should he celebrate?

We then go back to 1938 and watch his story unfold. He grows up and discovers act after act. Turning each one into a star and growing Motown into the greatest record company in the history of the universe. It becomes a parade of acts with zero character development, save Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson. Pretty much everyone else shows up, but they are trotted out like a pageant show and then whisked off just as easily.

Amusingly the audience gave entrance applause for each act as if the real artist was there performing. The guy who played Stevie Wonder had a knockout voice, but I don't think he uttered a line of dialogue.

I liked Valisia LeKae who played Ross. I thought she really had her down and looked great in the costumes and wigs.

Brandon Victor Dixon was in superb voice, but despite the heavy stage time didn't have much to work with.

I guess the overall feeling of the show was like watching an American Idol results show that was in tribute to Berry Gordy. Seacrest would narrate about all the accomplishments Gordy had achieved and the cast of idol hopefuls would perform choreographed medleys and encourage the audience to get on their feet and sing along. [[Yes there is audience participation, and yes you do get to sing along with Diana!)

I guess the biggest disappointment is with all ego and trite dialogue in the book, the show is somehow able to emerge completely camp free.

Frankly I think they should scrap the book [[that'll never happen) and just perform the numbers Smokey Joe's Cafe style. It doesn't matter though because I think this will be a big hit and run for a year or two. The critics can try to rip it to shreds if they want, but I don't think it will matter. It's got too much energy and delivers the catalog which, I assume, is what the audience wants.

smark21 Guest
    Here's a more succinct report from someone who attended [[though they're wrong about the understudy--it was the Berry Gordy kid understudy, not the adult understudy, who was on stage last night).

Saw the first preview tonight. I don't know which part is worse:

The 3-hour running time;
    The 20-minute intermission;
    The participative audience that sang along all throughout the show;
    The disruptive audience who couldn't hold there bladder [[I stopped counting at 20 who stood up);
    The engaged audience talking back to the actors;
    The drinking, eating and texting audience;
    The lack/missed lighting spots;
    The lack of artistic recreation of events;
    The mediocre actors [[the Berry Gordy understudy went on for the lead);
    OR
    The terrible writing, throwing everything like it's a Spanish omelet. It's suppose to be good, no need for extra ingredients. The music is heavenly. Just tell the story as it is.

Plus side: great costumes and set design.

Oh no does this mean this musical might not make it? I hope they still have time to fix the bad parts.

Penny

Thanks Roberta for sharing this review with us,i can't wait to see it,
    Please stay positive

revvy Guest
    I'm in NYC right now, folks, and I'm telling you there are promotions for this show all over the city. I'm seeing it tomorrow night and will report the good, the bad and the ugly to you all here on the forum. So they are saying this a high-priced "Baby It's You", eh? I saw that show and it was pretty good, but it moved way too fast and obviously wasn't a high-budget production. Even Jersey Boys made several changes to the original production in La Jolla before it ever came to Broadway. I'm sure the powers that be will make some major changes to Motown at it will be just fine. It has to go through growing pains like any other creative endeavor. Remember even the Supremes were raw in their infancy. Keep the faith and hold on to the vision!

Folks keep in mind that the show does not officially open till April 14th. Giving them ample time to tinker, shorter, tighten etc. This is why shows have previews to perfect them. I doubt when this officially opens it will be longer than 2.5 hours with an intermission break.

SupremeBoy Guest
    I'm on BWW and both straight and gay theater lovers post.

‘Motown: the Musical’ star Valisia LeKae strikes a pose as Diana Ross in exclusive Daily News photo

Broadway previews start Monday in show about the life of record-industry pioneer Berry Gordy

Comments [[1) By Joe Dziemianowicz / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, March 11, 2013, 6:00 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz2NPhLF2gU

I got to see a preview of MOTOWN THE MUSICAL last night. We loved it and so did the audience. I don’t know what the critics will think. I was watching it as a fan, not a critic. It again ended at 11:05 so some trimming will have to be done before the official opening. It has over sixty songs in it [[mostly snippets) so some of them can be eliminated.

The musical opens with a rehearsal of Motown 25. Then it moves to Berry’s home where Suzanne is trying to convince Berry to attend. Then there is a flashback to Berry’s youth which tells his story of working on Ford assembly line, boxing, writing for Jackie Wilson, starting his own company etc. And the love story of Diana and Berry...

There are three new songs in the show. Two of them were terrific, “It’s In the Groove That Counts” and “Hail to the Beat”.

It’s amazing that they could tell a twenty five year history of Motown between songs in such a short period of time. I was able to follow it, but I wonder if the non-Motown fan could. To me there were unnecessary parts that could have been eliminated, like some segment with Doris Day and another with Tony Bennett.. Those segments were just ego trips for Berry Gordy.

In a post above, it was suggested that they scrap the book and just do the songs as they did in SMOKEY JOE’S CAFÉ. I disagree. I say get rid of some of the songs, get rid of some of the Berry ego trips in the book and make the book a little stronger.

Brandon Victor Dixon, who played Berry Gordy has a terrific voice.
    Michael Jackson was played by the understudy last night and Monday night. My guess is he will get the part permanently . He was terrific.

It was Berry’s idea for Diana to do a waltz record for her solo debut. Diana was against it. Her solo debut was not selling out and it showed how Berry gave torn twenty dollars bills to people on the street with the promise of getting the other half after they attend Diana’s show. They showed the Diana character singing Reach Out and Touch. She had a little trouble getting the Broadway audience to participate because theatre has an impenetrable invisible fourth wall. When the audience realized that it was okay, they participated, she reached over the lights and shook hands with an audience member in the first row and then brought her up on stage to sing with her. The Diana character was taken aback at how well the audience member sounded.

The Motown songs were at their best when they were used to move the book along. Diana and Berry sang YOU’RE ALL I NEED. When Diana told Berry that she was offered a multi million dollar deal with RCA, they sang REMEMBER ME to each other.

The show progressed and finished where it started, with MOTOWN 25. Diana character looked exactly like the real Diana at Motown 25 with the same outfit and hair style. Just like the real Diana , she made her entrance from the back of the theatre and walked down the isle to the stage. Mary was there with her red outfit and Cindy with her white outfit. But there was no SOMEDAY segment or drama. Diana sang Ain't No Mountain and the other Motown singers gathered on stage and joined in. Then Diana gave her “it’s not who leaves but who comes back” speech and called Berry on stage. She said to him, no matter where you are, no matter how far, I’ll be there in a hurry , on that you can depend and never worry” [[I thought that was corny)

I watched it as a fan of the music and of theatre and not a critic. I am sure that some changes will be made before the official opening. I attended the show for a good time and a good feeling. In that the show succeeded. I hope the critics are kind. I intend to see it again after it officially opens.

Awesome; sounds good to me. I would love to see it.

Thanks for the insight... Now I'm even more excited about the show!! So awesome that they're using "Remember Me" at that point in the show. Never was my favorite Diana song but the lyrics in this context should have a stunning effect on the theatre audience. I also suspect "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" will have a huge emotional impact if the rest of the story leading up to it does it's job. I can just imagine Diana delivering the "If you need me, call me..." lines directly to Berry and that leading into a grand finale chorus with all the cast onstage for the climactic faux Motown 25 scene. Hello goosebumps!!
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 03-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.

sounds like the mess i expected ... april seems seem awfully near to correct the entire premise of the play. good luck, rewriting team ...

by the way ... are h/d/h in the play?

So in the finale, they have "Diana", "Mary", and "Cindy" all singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?

H-D-H are in the play as well as Norman Whitfield, Marvelettes, Martha & Vandellas, Teena Marie, Ed Sullivan, Contours, J-5, Jr. Walker, Rick James, David Ruffin, Mickey Stevenson and Mary Wells. They were all played by ensemble players who played multiple roles. For instance, the actress who played Mary Wells also played Mother Gordy and one of the Vandellas.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    So in the finale, they have "Diana", "Mary", and "Cindy" all singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?
    No Supreme Reunion at all. Just the entire cast on stage, including Mary and Cindy with Diana singing Mountain and calling Berry on stage from the audience.

No Supreme Reunion at all. Just the entire cast on stage, including Mary and Cindy with Diana singing Mountain and calling Berry on stage from the audience.
    Who play the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves Milven and does Martha have a big part. I sure hope so.

Fondly,

Roberta

H-D-H are in the play as well as Norman Whitfield, Marvelettes, Martha & Vandellas, Teena Marie, Ed Sullivan, Contours, J-5, Jr. Walker, Rick James, David Ruffin, Mickey Stevenson and Mary Wells. They were all played by ensemble players who played multiple roles. For instance, the actress who played Mary Wells also played Mother Gordy and one of the Vandellas.
    do h/d/h have m[[any) speaking parts, do they sing, like gordy does to ross? this whole thing sounds so bad. but, hey, if we get more record releases i will stop bitchin'!

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    do h/d/h have m[[any) speaking parts, do they sing, like gordy does to ross? this whole thing sounds so bad. but, hey, if we get more record releases i will stop bitchin'!
    I can't remember if it was HDH or their lawyers speaking when they were suing Berry Gordy

I can't remember if it was HDH or their lawyers speaking when they were suing Berry Gordy
    HA! read the preview reviews at the broadway chat site. seems like bad news for motown lovers, but will make it big with the 90% of tourists who can't tell carla thomas from any of the hundreds of former supremes 'cept ross, or the diff between stax and motown.

but there is a reason i prefer r&b to broadway musicals!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Who play the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves Milven and does Martha have a big part. I sure hope so.

Fondly,

Roberta
    The play used ensemble players for Martha and the Vandellas. They played various roles. They sang but did not speak.

The main cast was Berry, Diana, Smokey and Marvin.

Ensemble players played the Four Tops, Lionel, Norman, Marvelletes Supremes,Jr Walker, Tempts,Contours, J-5, Commodores, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, HDH, Rick James, and Mickey Stevenson. I don't think any other Motown acts were featured. While the ensamble played various roles, the actresses that portrayed Mary and Flo only played Mary and Flo. The actress that played Cindy also played Gwen GOrdy, a Vandella, & Gladys Horton. Speaking of Gladys Horton reminds me that Gladys Knight and the Pips were not part of the show

Mary Wells was referred to as the Queen of Motown, although I always remember her being referred to as First Lady of Motown

how did they handle the switch from ballard to birdsong? from ross to jean? micky stevenson w/o weston? hmmm ....

HA! read the preview reviews at the broadway chat site. seems like bad news for motown lovers, but will make it big with the 90% of tourists who can't tell carla thomas from any of the hundreds of former supremes 'cept ross, or the diff between stax and motown.

but there is a reason i prefer r&b to broadway musicals!
    I agree. That's the main reason I hate Glee. I don't like iconic pop songs turned into broadway schlockiness. It's like getting a commerical artist to come into a museum and paint Mona Lisa's.

how did they handle the switch from ballard to birdsong? from ross to jean? micky stevenson w/o weston? hmmm ....
    I'll almost bet my bottom dollar that they didn't cast anyone to play Jean. It's probably just like Motown 25, pretending that Jean, Mary, and Cindy never existed [[After 10 million records)

Briefly. Flo was missing performances and was replaced. And here, I may be wrong because it happened so fast, but there was starting to be conflict in group because of Diana's prominence. Mary said something to Diana and Diana said "See what I have to put up with?" [[Again, I may be wrong about this) Anyhow, at that point, Berry convinced her that it was time for her to go solo. He named Diana's replacement, but we never saw the Seventies Supremes

The play used ensemble players for Martha and the Vandellas. They played various roles. They sang but did not speak.

Ensemble players played the Four Tops, Lionel, Norman, Marvelletes Supremes,Jr Walker, Tempts,Contours, J-5, Commodores, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, HDH, Rick James, and Mickey Stevenson. I don't think any other Motown acts were featured. While the ensamble played various roles, the actresses that portrayed Mary and Flo only played Mary and Flo. The actress that played Cindy also played Gwen GOrdy, a Vandella, & Gladys Horton. Speaking of Gladys Horton reminds me that Gladys Knight and the Pips were not part of the show

Mary Wells was referred to as the Queen of Motown, although I always remember her being referred to as First Lady of Motown
    Oh thats dissapointing I thought Martha Reeves would have a prominent role. What about Barbara Martin and Flo Ballard? Are they mentioned?

I'm still looking forward to seeing this one day just the same.

Roberta

Again,i can't wait to see Motown The Musical,
    Please stay positive

Whenever I see the phrase "First Lady of Motown," I know exactly what's comin' next.

I just hope the creators of the show can pull together a last-minute brief scene to end the show--one that flashes-forward to present day and shows a group singing IN MY LONELY WAITING ROOM as they are then renamed DR. ALBERT ROSE SCHWEITZER & THE VENTRICULLAS, who then proceed with plans for building the VIRGINIA MAYO CLINIC.

Let's all keep in mind that Diane has not uttered a PEEP about this, and well, that says it all. I mean, a 5 year relationship that never resulted in an engagement or marriage is portrayed as this sweeping, epic love story... and then Diana being portrayed as some little unpolished ghetto chick that Berry plucked from obscurity and molded into a superstar, just like God himself creating the heavens and the earth... and then when she gets the RCA deal, it's all like "I've made you into a beautiful star, you have outgrown me, now fly, my little bird, be free!" I'm sure Diana probably feels insulted as hell. Rhonda is "publically" supporting it, because it's her daddy... but in private, I can bet my bottom dollar the opinion ain't so rosy.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 03-13-2013 at 07:17 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Well except for premium tickets [[that are selling for $257 per ticket) it seems the previews for the show are doing well at the box office. Tonight I went to the TDF booth at Times Square in hopes of getting a discounted ticket tonight. No luck. So I went to the box office and asked if there were rush tix for tonight. Nope. Only tickets available for purchase for tonight’s show were the premium tickets and I wasn’t going to pay such a high amount for any show, let alone one in which the kinks are still being worked out and a show with a less than stellar script. I’m looking forward to revvy’s review of tonight’s performance. Maybe I might have better luck getting a last minute ticket for a Monday night show.

smark21 Guest
    Here's the latest update from NY Post theater columnist Michael Reidel

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...ozFLjR1f6yTP9I

alexgarret Guest
    Well except for premium tickets [[that are selling for $257 per ticket) it seems the previews for the show are doing well at the box office. Tonight I went to the TDF booth at Times Square in hopes of getting a discounted ticket tonight. No luck. So I went to the box office and asked if there were rush tix for tonight. Nope. Only tickets available for purchase for tonight’s show were the premium tickets and I wasn’t going to pay such a high amount for any show, let alone one in which the kinks are still being worked out and a show with a less than stellar script. I’m looking forward to revvy’s review of tonight’s performance. Maybe I might have better luck getting a last minute ticket for a Monday night show.
    Advance ticket sales seem to be really strong. This may be one of the shows that the critics hate, but the masses love - great for the economy and working actors and techs!

I used to use TKTS almost every week. But with the Internet, it is so much easier buying the tickets in advance and many of them can be bought at discount prices , including MOTOWN THE MUSICAL. Now instead of standing on TKTS line hoping to get seats for a specific show, I buy them in advance and either print out my tickets or pick them up at the box office. Much less stressful.

As for those premium seats, if they are not sold , they are released just before the curtain to the box office and to TKTS and sold at regular prices.

You can get discount tickets through Playbill, Theatermania and probably Broadway.Com

alexgarret Guest
    Let's all keep in mind that Diane has not uttered a PEEP about this, and well, that says it all. I mean, a 5 year relationship that never resulted in an engagement or marriage is portrayed as this sweeping, epic love story... and then Diana being portrayed as some little unpolished ghetto chick that Berry plucked from obscurity and molded into a superstar, just like God himself creating the heavens and the earth... and then when she gets the RCA deal, it's all like "I've made you into a beautiful star, you have outgrown me, now fly, my little bird, be free!" I'm sure Diana probably feels insulted as hell. Rhonda is "publically" supporting it, because it's her daddy... but in private, I can bet my bottom dollar the opinion ain't so rosy.
    I think she is keeping a low profile because it would overshadow the show. She certainly won't attend the Motown Alumni performance because it would take away the focus from the others. Nothing sinister here...

I could be wrong,but i think Diana will show up for this,it's Berry last,and i'm sure she will support him,after all,if it was not for Berry Gordy,there'd be no Suprems,and that means Diana Mary Florence or Cindy,or any of the other Supremes Jean Terrell,Lynda Laurence,Scherrei Payne or Susaye Greene,Thanks to Mr.Gordy
    Please stay positive

Meet MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL's Diana Ross, Valisia LeKae.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wXEW3rThuA

Nice footage of the musical in general
    Last edited by David J; 03-14-2013 at 03:43 AM.

revvy Guest
    Hey everyone!

I saw the show last night and I thought it was GREAT! I was very pleased with the production and the cast was phenomenal. Most of what has been reported here is accurate. The show is indeed 3 hours long [[but that didn't bother me in the least!). The time just raced by...and so did the show. I sat first row center balcony so my view was the best in the house. I loved the giant Motown "M" on the main curtain as the audience took their places.

I will say most elements of the production are a cross between "Jersey Boys" and "Baby It's You". The War [[What Is It Good For?) segment was very reminiscent of "Hair". Brandon Victor Dixon [[Berry) is a fine actor and had some great singing moments. Valisia LeKae [[Diana) was fantastic and certainly got the early Diana "sound" down very well. Charl Brown [[Smokey) was outstanding. If I closed my eyes, I would have sworn it was Smokey singing. Once again, however, it was little Michael Jackson who was the crowd pleaser. Tonight the actor was Raymond Luke, Jr. and he was sensational. He also played Little Stevie Wonder. He isn't the understudy. There are 2 actors who "share" the role, much like in "Billy Elliot". The actors playing Marvin Gaye and older Stevie Wonder were very good as well. The Tempts had a great blend and the Four Tops and Mary Wells were also well-represented.

Because this was only the 3rd night of previews, there are some elements to revise and even cut as would be expected. As stated by another poster, the Doris Day and Tony Bennett elements need to be eliminated. The reference to HDH needs to be better explained. The actors never stated that HDH stands for Holland Dozier Holland and that they were the writers of all the great Motown hits. The "Tears of a Clown" segment needs to go unfortunately. Charl sings the song spot-on, but the choreography of the dancers and the "puppet without a string with the stupid doll smile" was unnecessary. I would guess the choreographer was given creative freedom with this number, but it just didn't work. The Diana solo segment was very good. I thought her enticing of the audience to "Reach Out and Touch", join hands and sway to the music was a nice touch, however plucking a woman from the audience to sing with her was embarrassingly awkward. Had it been a plant, it would have gone over much better, but taking a TERRIFIED patron who doesn't even know the words to the song [[as in the case last night) was uncomfortable.

The costumes and choreography strangely enough were not exact replicas of the originals. They were very close, however. I wonder if there is a legal reason for that. A true Motown fan would notice the closeness in representation to the Supremes halter tops of the Diana, Mary, Cindy period. The Jackson 5 costumes were practically identical. I had to say I was a bit disappointed that the Tempts "My Girl" and Contours "Do You Love Me?" choreography wasn't exactly like the original. I'm sure there were copyright issues involved.

The beauty of the show is how the music was so reflective of what was going on in society at the time. It was great to reminisce of what life used to be...the good, bad and the ugly. It was a bit disappointing to see teenagers and young adults in the audience wearing sweats and sloppy clothes. Most adults were smartly dressed and respectful.

I could go on and on with more detail, but you all get the drift. I gave the show 8 out of 10. My date gave it 7 out of 10. It was a great night of entertainment and I'm sure it will be even more polished in a few months time. The show is definitely a hit and will run for a good amount of time if tweaked properly.

As a Detroiter, I was proud to be there and to represent the talent that came out of her. Long may she wave. Enjoy the show!
    Last edited by revvy; 03-16-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Thank you so much for sharing your review of the show with us. And I am thrilled that it is a positive review. These boards have been filled with a lot of negative posts for months. I am glad that the two posters who actually saw it, were positive about the show.

Thanks for pointing out that three actors are sharing the Michael/Little Stevie/Little Berry role. My Playbill had an insert in it saying that Raymond Luke would be playing the roles and I assumed that he was an understudy. But after re-reading Who's Who in the Cast, I see that he is a regular. And he is a little showstopper.

thanks for the reviews,which were sincere. Sounds like it will be a hit and that is GREAT for all things Motown.I figured it would be First Class if Mr. Gordy had anything to do with it.Maybe I will make it to New York this summer.

supremester Guest
    I don't think there was pretense that JMC never existed. What in Motown 25 would you cut to add the JMC segment? There is only so much time. Martha & Mary Wells both outsold JMC and barely got mentioned. The Marvelettes outsold JMC and weren't included at all. They had to draw the line somewhere.

I'll almost bet my bottom dollar that they didn't cast anyone to play Jean. It's probably just like Motown 25, pretending that Jean, Mary, and Cindy never existed [[After 10 million records)

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I don't think there was pretense that JMC never existed. What in Motown 25 would you cut to add the JMC segment? There is only so much time. Martha & Mary Wells both outsold JMC and barely got mentioned. The Marvelettes outsold JMC and weren't included at all. They had to draw the line somewhere.
    They should have at least mentioned Jean Terrell. They didn't even mention Florence Ballard by name and she help sell more records when she was in the Supremes than most of those others. They didn't even show a picture of Rare Earth@!!!!

>With Marvin being one of the main characters, I'm a bit surprised that Tammi Terrell's is not one of the esemble players. If I'm not mistaken I thought I saw a clip of Berry & Diana's character singing ANMHE, or another one of M&T's songs, in connection w/ Berry & Diana's romance. I'd love instead to see Tammi represented singing ANMHE [[or any one of their popular duets) w/ Marvin's character.

No Gladys Knight & The PIps? Ouch! LOL I wanna see someone sing their version of IHITTG or If I Were Your Woman or Neither One Of Us -- anything they sang. I don't recall seeing Edwin Starr, David Ruffin or Jimmy Ruffin mentioned either. That being said, I'm hoping that since they are still in the preview stages that more legendary Motown artists will be casted.