[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I stopped watching American Idol years ago. I decided to check it out this year for Nicki and Mariah. My thoughts? Lazaro was a favorite from the auditions. It is clear now as the weeks have passed that he isn't up to par. Devin and Burnell were the best singers in the competition. Devin had a real good, smooth and controlled voice. Burnell's voice was unique. Not to crazy about any of the females, none of them are special or unique. I was so disappointed last week when the guys, Lazaro, Devin and Burnell did their group number. Lazaro was not prepared. I'm gonna be honest. IMO Devin and Burnell got voted off because they acted like little bitches. Instead of accepting criticism and taking one for THE TEAM they acted like little divas throwing Lazaro under the bus. I have a feeling the voters did not respond well to that, and now they are gone. I think that Lazaro will be next. I have lost interest in the show again. Most likely I won't be tuning in anymore because I don't like any of the singers left.

MOST Black viewers don't watch the show and don't vote which explains why Lazaro is still on and Amber is in danger of getting voted off. Teenage girls in middle America are the biggest voters of American Idol.

Come on Kamasu Jr white teenage middle American's,maybe Amber is next to go home,what a shame that would be,again Lazaro still on the show,what a joke,REALLY LOL

smark21 Guest
    Actually teens are not watching AI like they used to 10 years ago. The show’s demographics have aged. Idols’ core audience and voters are middle aged and older women in the south and rural Midwest [[aka flyover country) and their children who are 13 and under. IN recent years, the core fanbase of those white guys with guitars who have won the show have been overweight, sexually frustrated women in their 30s, 40’s and 50s. And the desire of Idol producers to rig the show for a woman to win is the main reason why ratings have taken a tumble because there’s no decent looking white guy with a phallic guitar for Idol’s core fan base to fantasize about and pray for.
    Last edited by smark21; 04-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.

It's the CANDICE show again!!! She's soooo good!!!

S.S.

Candice was great last night, yet again. I don't think any of the others , not even Kree, matched her performance.

But poor Lazaro. I really feel sorry for the kid. He is in way over his head. And even the audience knows it. Usually there is a lot of booing when the judges make negative comments. I don't recall hearing any last night. I give him credit for taking the criticism like a professional, but at this point, it is almost painful to watch.

Yes, it will be interesting tonight to see if America is still giving him the sympathy vote and all the teenage girls are still voting for him. Nice kid but not a great voice.

S.S.

Its sad to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lazaro makes it another week. If so, I would think Janelle and maybe Amber are in trouble.

Candice has been the best and most consistant since day one. If she doesn't win this thing, it will be a sham and a shame!

~~~Mary~~~

Amber Holcomb go home?REALLY Reese?,but i must say,it was a Candice Glover night,last night,no 1 could touch her,no 1 came even close,i hope Candice Glover becomes the next American Idol,DAMMMMMMM she got off last night,
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Amber Holcomb go home?REALLY Reese?,but i must say,it was a Candice Glover night,last night,no 1 could touch her,no 1 came even close,i hope Candice Glover becomes the next American Idol,DAMMMMMMM she got off last night,
    Please stay positive
    As tonight's results show, it isn't so far fetched. Amber was in the bottom two. But Lazaro was finally shown the door.

Finally.

S.S.

At Last lol

"At Last lol"

And he had such a nasty attitude considering that he lasted this long. I mean he should be thankful of the exposure he has had to this point and the benefit of it that he will have ,....if he plays his cards right. I wish him luck and I hope he finds his "niche" in the business , but "If you can't run with the big "girls" [[in this case) ,then stay on the porch. Know what I mean? Howsenever ,polictics are still a major fact for the remaining few. Que Sera Sera...........It's still just television 2013.

CANDICE & AMBER!!

s.s.

I think they got it right, next week it's time for Kree to go!

S.S.

i have to agree Soul Sister lol

For the longest time, I thought the show was building up to a Candice/Kree finale. But if Kree has another week like this past one, I could see it being down to Candice and Amber.

I don't always agree with the judges or Jimmy Ivine, but I did last night. Amber is really coming on strong now, but that dreadful "McArthur Park" song she sang turned me off because I hate the song. Jimmy was right, the judges were wrong. Jimmy said your can't sing corn like that and he also said the judges didn't want to admit Candice was better than Amber when Candice sang "Emotion". I agreed with the judges when they said last night was Angie's night. Kree had a bad night and it's time for her to go home. I really hope Candice is not in trouble, because she is the best singer and has been consistantly good since day one. I hope she makes it to the final 3 and does a better job next week when her cold should be over. As always, just one woman's opinion.

~~Mary~~
    Last edited by JIVE FIVE Mary G.; 04-25-2013 at 10:55 AM.

I think Kree is going home tonight. She's had a rough couple of weeks in my opinion. I agreed with Jimmy about the Amber situation. I loved her first song, but MACARTHUR PARK was a mess. Candice was her usual great self, although I do think she leaned a wee bit towards oversinging last night. For me, the big surprise was Angie, who I thought did well on all three of her numbers. If she keeps it up, she might make the final two.

SMH.............lol! Having lived so closely with the standards and up close to some of the great artists that sing them in such a profound way I may sound too critical here.

Angie ~ to my ears was annoying tonight on "Someone To Watch Over Me", not because people associate it with incidents from Jimmy's life as one of his signature songs but because I felt there was no feeling there and she didn't sing the song right. Angie is young and I am positive she has never lived enough life to "get it" to interpet the lyrics the way they should be delivered.

Kree ~ sorry to say this but I feel Kree's voice is boring with no depth, in every song she sings the 'country' thing comes out. She should never try to sing standards or anything but country, it just doesn't fit.
    Jimmy sang a couple songs in the movie "Stormy Weather" about Harold Arlen's life. Those songs Arlen wrote have great depth about the woman he loved so deeply that broke his heart over and over again.

Amber ~ for a young woman her age I thought she sang "My Funny Valentine" so beautifully, nicely done. Loved it.

Candice ~ was perfection, she did no wrong for me, effortless and fluid, just a natural, as good as any pro 'past or present'.
    I love "You've Changed" by many great singer, including Jimmy's version on his 1975 album "Can't We Begin Again", for me Candice was as good as any of the great interpeters of jazz standards. I thought she was a lot like Nancy Wilson on it as well as being true to her own gorgeous voice!

JMHO ,
    S.S.

I completely agree with your assessment of Candice, S. S.. I would go so far as to say she is one of the best female vocalists I have ever heard. She had me in tears when she sang "You've Changed." She received two standing O's from the judges and she deserved them. She has been consistant throughout the show. As Randy Jackson said last night - this is a singing compettion. It's supposed to be, so if America gets it right, she should win hands down. She was in the bottom two last week - which shocked me, since Kree should have been on the bottom. I'm hoping Candice received enough votes last night to overcome last week's votes.

Here is Candice's performance of "You've Changed". Absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

~~Mary~~

Ahhhh yes, I can never get enough of that performance, Mary.
    It doesn't get much better. Candice just does such a lovely job of interpeting those lyrics. Perfection!

S.S.

Yes Candice,was all of that,and then some,no one on the show can touch her,i'v heard You've Changed by many artist,trust me,Candice sang it better then all of them,i really enjoyed Amber's My Funny Valentine,Amber,sang her ass off,lol,she had me a little teary eyes,Kree should go home,but i bet she won't,
    Please stay positive

REDHOT,
    Not because I am married to him but Jimmy did the most touching and moving version of "You've Changed". He will absolutely break your heart, lol.

S.S.

I'll have to check it out Soul Sister,i never heard his version,until then Candice is Top lol

I don't think Candice will win over Kree. Middle America and teenage girls, white teenage girls - do most of the voting on Idol. They will not choose Candice over Kree unless Candice is spectacular. I've only been watching Idol off and on but I knew Amber would be voted off and the finale should have been between Candice and Amber. And what is up with judge Nicki? She is way out of line, all of the time especially with Mariah Carey. She has no respect for her elders and should be fired. Memphis no longer has the relationship with American Idol that we used to have because the show's producers were not serious about promoting soulful singers and things changed once behind the scenes supporters like Debra Byrd were let go. Has anyone noticed how Memphis contestants are faring on other competing shows like The VOICE? ...
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-05-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Actually teens are not watching AI like they used to 10 years ago. The show’s demographics have aged. Idols’ core audience and voters are middle aged and older women in the south and rural Midwest [[aka flyover country) and their children who are 13 and under. IN recent years, the core fanbase of those white guys with guitars who have won the show have been overweight, sexually frustrated women in their 30s, 40’s and 50s. And the desire of Idol producers to rig the show for a woman to win is the main reason why ratings have taken a tumble because there’s no decent looking white guy with a phallic guitar for Idol’s core fan base to fantasize about and pray for.
    You might have a point there. I definitely know singers like Amber and Candice should not have been in the bottom two last week. And ultimately, these Idol voters only seem to like white guys with guitars.

Amber should have stayed. I think Kree should have gone home weeks ago.
    If the fantastic CANDICE doesn't win... it will be a travesty! Another oops on America's voting block, like with Jennifer Hudson, as we know when it comes to Idol who votes, mainly teens and the 'country' states.
    I cannot wait to hear what Candice's album will sound like. Still waiting to hear Joshua Ledet's!!

S.S.

Fantasia was better than Jennifer Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Fantasia was better than Jennifer Hudson.
    At the time this was very true. Fantasia ruled her season. There was just something not quite right about Jennifer Hudson. Didn't Simon Cowell say she was just too much or too over the top? But Jennifer benefitted from the training she got while working on Dreamgirls. Her over the top singing was just right. Now, she's too much again. That Weight Watchers commercial comes on with J screaming "I Got the Power" and I cringe. She needs to just go sit down in my opinion. We've seen her slimmed down body enough already.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.

I agree. I remember once I said something about Jennifer not being all that and then someone here went on about how she has a Oscar and Diana Ross doesn't? LoL. WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in china? I remember that AI season well. I did not like Jennifer at all. She was too much. Stank attitude and her voice was not consistent. Through life's journey she appears to have become better. I don't hate her at all. I liked one of her songs from her debut album. Admire her weight loss, and the way she carried on after her family was killed. I still think that she over sings everything. I have a friend that laughs at her every time one of her commercials comes on because she is so loud. She is cool in my book, but she was not close to being as good as Fantasia was on that season.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I agree. I remember once I said something about Jennifer not being all that and then someone here went on about how she has a Oscar and Diana Ross doesn't? LoL. WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in china? I remember that AI season well. I did not like Jennifer at all. She was too much. Stank attitude and her voice was not consistent. Through life's journey she appears to have become better. I don't hate her at all. I liked one of her songs from her debut album. Admire her weight loss, and the way she carried on after her family was killed. I still think that she over sings everything. I have a friend that laughs at her every time one of her commercials comes on because she is so loud. She is cool in my book, but she was not close to being as good as Fantasia was on that season.
    Of the three "divas," as they were being called that season, I thought that Latoya London might have had an edge on Fantasia. Her voice had a really mellow tone. She recorded a version on one of the IDOL albums of IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW that is still one of my favorites. But I think she might have come off rather old to the voting audience, as it was always being mentioned that she was married and a stepmother. And some of her performances were mature, as well. The week she was voted off, I think she had performed a FUNNY GIRL medley.

That said, I think Fantasia just had that indescribable vocal something that deserved to win.

Yes, Fantasia was brilliant.

I agree about LaToya, & Jennifer, they were ripped off the show too soon!
    That's why I don't have faith Candice will win. :<[[

S.S.

smark21 Guest
    Interesting article on last week's theme of Now and Then:

http://www.nextavenue.org/blog/why-h...le-during-idol

I have to agree with Harry. Epecially on Angie who completely screwed up a very poiniant touching song and even violated the melody. Kree was no better.

I thought Amber did better. Candice was flawless she knew how to handle it even in her own way.

S.S.

I agree with Harry, too, although I loved Candice's rendition of "You've Changed." Harry pointed out what many of us who've been around for a while feel - LESS IS MORE! Too many of the young singers today over sing, do too many runs, totally miss the meaning of the lyrics and ignore melodies. Some have good chops, but misuse them.

Great article. Thanks for posting smark21.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by JIVE FIVE Mary G. View Post
    I agree with Harry, too, although I loved Candice's rendition of "You've Changed." Harry pointed out what many of us who've been around for a while feel - LESS IS MORE! Too many of the young singers today over sing, do too many runs, totally miss the meaning of the lyrics and ignore melodies. Some have good chops, but misuse them.

Great article. Thanks for posting smark21.

~~Mary~~
    Boy, I agree with you. It's not necessary to make a classic song sound like it was written in 2013. I tell my music students that they have to respect the melody that many classic songwriters came up with and they need to understand what a song is about. A lot of young singers want to add runs and trills and twists on syllables that are not necessary.

Here we go again! Angie ruined yet another serious ballad where less is more. She probably should have listened to Jimmy Scott's reading of one of his most requested songs in his show "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" from his album "Holding Back The Years".

If you don't know you better ask somebody.......

CANDICE!!!
    She did an immpecable job on "Somewhere".

S.S.

Thank you, Kam. Adding on syllables where they don't belong only serves to distort the songs. You're teaching your students well IMO.

Candice's performance of "Somewhere" last night was another Idol moment, and this yourng lady has had several of them. As Keith Urban said - Vote for Candice. If you don't call your doctor because you probably don't have a pulse! That says it ALL. When Jimmy Ivine said Candice didn't just win the third round, she won the night, the other two Idol finalists burst into applause. This girl is INCREDIBLE!!

Here's the performance:

Candice Glover has deserved to win this competition hands down since day one.

~~Mary~~
    Last edited by JIVE FIVE Mary G.; 05-09-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Candice Glover singing Somewhere, was Amazing last night,no one on the show can touch her.

Quote Originally Posted by JIVE FIVE Mary G. View Post
    I completely agree with your assessment of Candice, S. S.. I would go so far as to say she is one of the best female vocalists I have ever heard. She had me in tears when she sang "You've Changed." She received two standing O's from the judges and she deserved them. She has been consistant throughout the show. As Randy Jackson said last night - this is a singing compettion. It's supposed to be, so if America gets it right, she should win hands down. She was in the bottom two last week - which shocked me, since Kree should have been on the bottom. I'm hoping Candice received enough votes last night to overcome last week's votes.

Here is Candice's performance of "You've Changed". Absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

~~Mary~~
    Now she is something else! Very well done.

I read a news article that said Duck Dynasty topped American Idol's ratings recently. Are Idol's ratings still way up there?

Later, Dawg: Randy Jackson leaving 'American Idol' after 12 years as judge

http://www.toledoblade.com/A-E/2013/...-as-judge.html

CONGRATULATIONS Candice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.S.

Candice glover i'm soooooo happy for her,i'm sorry for angie,but kree really?

I am so THRILLED for CANDICE!!!! I'm not surprised Kree made it to the final because she's had 3 bad weeks in a row, and yet she gets the votes. She's the country singer in the group and we've seen Idol voters give it to less than talented country singers before. I just hope real talent will win the prize this time. Maybe if Candice wins in the final, Idol's ratings will come back up. I'm really hoping "America" gets it right this time.

~~Mary~~

Word has it all four judges will not be returning in 2014. Good! Nicki makes me want to jump in thr TV and strangle her at times. What does a contestant's nice shoes have to with singing? Randy Jackson has already announced he's out. Harry Connick Jr. would be good as a judge. He was tough during standards week and he didn't kiss any ass. I don't expect Candice Glover to win because of what I posted previously. But if she does win, maybe IDOL still has a chance at maintaining credibility.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.

So true, Kam! I am hoping for once America gets it right.

S.S.

Come on,even Kree the next American Idol,from the looks on Kree's face if she know's she shouldn't be there,if Kree win's,it's another down for the show,if Candice win's there's hope.