[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

American Idol,Still A Great Show Tonight

The girl really sang tonight,the standout's for me were Amber Holcomb and that Candice Glover,what a voice,i really enjoyed the ladies,now let's see what the guys will do tomorrow,
    Please stay positive

I would definately say the girls have a better group of singers this year over verses the boys. For the boys Vincent was a natural.

S.S.

I have to agree with Soul Sister. The girls have the edge for the first time in years IMHO. I haven't picked out anyone yet who was a great as Joshua Ladet was last year, but it's early in the season. He's the best I've evern seen on any of the singing shows. I hope we hear something from him soon.

It should be a good year for Idol.

~~Mary~~

I think I may have to take back my words, lol.....
    These male singers were fab:

Vincent... [[I thought did a better performance last week, didn't think "Ensd Of The Road" was good enough to showcase his vocal range and ablities). But he's got what it takes.

Curtis... killed it tonight, great performance, laid it out.

Devon... whom I loved from the beginning has a quality to his voice that is so pure and effortlessly smooth as silk, very moving. Pretty vocals.

They WILL give the girls a run for the money. I just hope America isn't voting "stupid" again this year but vote's for the best voices.

MHO,

S.S.

Of all the guys last night,Burnell Taylor is the best,[[to me)he sang I'm Here,from The Color Purple,and got a standing ovation,i even gave him one in my living room lol,
    Please stay positive

I'm sorry to say that Burnell is not a favorite of mine. I thought Cortez was good last week, but this week he lost it. So did Vincent. I like Curtis and Devin a lot. The girls, however, seem to have the upper hand this season.

Last night, I thought that Cortez was much better than the judges gave him credit for. By the same token, I thought they overpraised Burnell. He did ok, but I wasn't knocked out.

So far, Devin is my favorite male. He has a really pleasing tone to his voice, and his singing sounds effortless.

Re the females, I'm loving Candice, with Amber being a close second. My sentimental favorite is Zoanette, although IMO, her personality is what gets her over, not her vocals. There were many girls that they let go that sang much better.

On a sad note, I really felt sorry for Charlie Askew. I didn't care for his performance at all. But when he talked about how unhappy he was, I felt bad for him.

That kid Charlie Askew delivered a truly weird moment. He's young but seems to need some counseling. That BURNELL HICKS is a Broadway star. He's ready to do something big like Fantasia or Jennifer Hudson.

smark21 Guest
    I haven’t watched it this year. I might tune in when they get to the first round of the finals to see who the final 12/13 will be and check out the new judges. Question: Can contestants play instruments while singing this season, or have instruments been banned, as they were early in the show’s run? I ask because for 5 seasons running white guys with guitars have won and it’s becoming a bit of a joke. If instruments are still allowed, then I suspect another reasonable looking white guy with guitar will win as the Idol core fanbase is very conservative and gets off on these type of performers.

Liked 3 of the guys & 3 of the girls picked.

S.S.

It's early, but I've picked two favorites for me~~Candice & Devin. There are others I like, but those two are the standouts for me currently. I could change as the season gets into high gear next week.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by JIVE FIVE Mary G. View Post
    It's early, but I've picked two favorites for me~~Candice & Devin. There are others I like, but those two are the standouts for me currently. I could change as the season gets into high gear next week.

~~Mary~~
    I agree. I was glad to see those two make it.

I was thrilled, too, reese, and was cheering when they made it. Devin is a good vocalist with an interesting tone to his voice. Candice can sing her behind off. I think she's capable of singing anything and it will be interesting to watch her as the season progresses. Curtis is another I'm watching. He needs to be careful not to lose control of his voice, but he's good.

~~Mary~~

It would be cool if Candice and Devin were the final two. I think Kree has some spunk as well. Some of the others have nice voices, but I don't find them as consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I haven’t watched it this year. I might tune in when they get to the first round of the finals to see who the final 12/13 will be and check out the new judges. Question: Can contestants play instruments while singing this season, or have instruments been banned, as they were early in the show’s run? I ask because for 5 seasons running white guys with guitars have won and it’s becoming a bit of a joke. If instruments are still allowed, then I suspect another reasonable looking white guy with guitar will win as the Idol core fanbase is very conservative and gets off on these type of performers.
    Some have played instruments, but its mostly been keyboards. The only guitarist that I remember off hand was a black dude, who got cut after doing what I thought was a good rendition of FEVER.

I'm so happy for Barnell Taylor,Candice Glover and Amber Holcomb,i can't wait to see them sang next week,
    Please stay positive

{{{CANDICE}}}!!!!!!!!!!
    Did one of my all-time favs, I bought the record when Ben E. King released it in 1963, then the album when Linda Jones [[my favorite version) released it, now Candice did a fabulous job with "I Who Have Nothing"!
    For me the show is over, everyone else can go home, CANDICE wins it all, no need for anymore weeks of idol, lol, let's hope America doesn't get stupid in their voting like only they can.
    That girl can sang, Baby! Beautiful full warm tone to her voice not to mention her vocal range that holds up. LOVE!!!

S.S.

The 3 i like the most,has made it again,Amber Holcomb,Candice CLOVER and Burnell Taylor,i must say the other night,Burnell was the best,when it comes to the young men,yes Candice sang her you,know what off,on I Who Have Nothing,i felt like no 1 could touch her,until Amber came to the stage,i agree with Nicki,Amber was THE BEST singer of the night,she got the biggest standing ovation of the night,i could not believe Curtis went home last night,singing I Believe I Can Fly,
    Please stay positive

Curtis deserved to go home in my mind. He sang off key, screeched and was boring. He may sing fine in his church and that's where he should stay. He has a nice voice you should hear for free, but not pay to hear. And did Candice switch the gender in I Who Have Nothing?. Did she know what she was doing?.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-15-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Kam,
    You know I love you! But really.............switched the gender, that's what any good singer can do. When Linda Jones recorded it, she did an amaing job too!! Candice was flawless in that performance, IMO.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Curtis deserved to go home in my mind. He sang off key, screeched and was boring. He may sing fine in his church and that's where he should stay. He has a nice voice you should hear for free, but not pay to hear. And did Candace switch the gender in I Who Have Nothing?. Did she know what she was doing?.
    I agree about Curtis. I wasn't surprised at all. I was surprised to see Devin in the bottom two with him. I think he is arguably the best male singer they have, but I guess the voters this week didn't think so.

And yes, Candace did do a gender switch in I [[WHO HAVE NOTHING). She mentioned she was doing a version of Ben E. King's song, so she might have learned it from his recording and forgot to switch for her version. As I recall, she only did it at the bridge. I think she fixed it later.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I agree about Curtis. I wasn't surprised at all. I was surprised to see Devin in the bottom two with him. I think he is arguably the best male singer they have, but I guess the voters this week didn't think so.

And yes, Candace did do a gender switch in I [[WHO HAVE NOTHING). She mentioned she was doing a version of Ben E. King's song, so she might have learned it from his recording and forgot to switch for her version. As I recall, she only did it at the bridge. I think she fixed it later.
    I think you may be right Reese. She probably learned the song from the record. That's why I tell my students not to just learn something from a record. " Candice sang it, but that switch threw me. She could have been given Dee Dee Warwick's record. But to me, the only contestant who comes across as a star already is Amber. She's got such confidence. And yes, she reminds me of Whitney Houston. Burnell Taylor had better change up soon and drop those dramatic ballads - although he sings them well. But he can't do the same kind of songs every week.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.

I don't think the gender switch was a big deal.

Yes, Dee Dee did a great job too, I love Dee Dee for many reasons but Linda Jones is still number 1 for me on this song.

S.S.

smark21 Guest
    I didn’t see the show Wednesday night but maybe the gender switch was deliberate and not a muffed lyric? I did watch a bit of the results show last night. I thought that Curtis guy alternated between being very dull and way over the top as he sang that dreadful “I Believe I can Fly” song [[I really hope he sang it because he had a limited choice of songs to choose from and not because he actually likes it). He deserved to get the boot, from what I saw and heard. I’m going to have to check out this Candace…she’s getting a lot of buzz on the net.

Candice should be getting a lot of buzz on the net, and everywhere for that matter. The girl can sing her behind off. I agree Amber is good and she fits the pop star mold they're looking for. However, I don't think she's as good as Candice.

I iked Curtis but he suffers from over singing, so I was not surprised to see him go. Devin has the best voice of the males IMHO, but he did a poor job the other night.

Candice has been consistant and hasn't missed once since she's been on the show. If she continues to deliver every week, there should be no contest, but we've seen great vocalists knocked off the show before. We know there's a huge southern [[country) voting block and many teeny boppers vote as well. That's why we've seen some less than stellar winners on Idol.

~~Mary~~

What did you all think about last night's show with the contestants singing from the Beatles catalogue?

I thought Candice was superb, once again. It wasn't her best performance, but she remains consistantly good. Devin came back last night with a great performance of "Long & Winding Road". He has such a good voice - the best of the males for me. Janelle was good IMO. She has a decent voice and stayed in her country mold with a subtle performance that demonstrated the prettiness in ther voice. Kree delivered and I bet she'll be in the top 3 this week.

~~Mary~~

Yes, Candice was a natural again! I loved seeing Devon doing "Long & Winding Road", Jimmy recorded it in 1969 and remembered it well.
    I think two of the boys can go home now.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by JIVE FIVE Mary G. View Post
    What did you all think about last night's show with the contestants singing from the Beatles catalogue?

I thought Candice was superb, once again. It wasn't her best performance, but she remains consistantly good. Devin came back last night with a great performance of "Long & Winding Road". He has such a good voice - the best of the males for me. Janelle was good IMO. She has a decent voice and stayed in her country mold with a subtle performance that demonstrated the prettiness in ther voice. Kree delivered and I bet she'll be in the top 3 this week.

~~Mary~~
    I feel basicially the same. Candice could sing the phone book at this point and sound good. I wouldn't have chosen COME TOGETHER for her, but she performed it well enough.

I thought Devin was a big improvement over last week. I hope he sticks around. I really liked Janelle, Amber, and Paul as well. I still don't get the judges' response to Burnell. He doesn't do much for me.

Based on performance, I really think Lazaro should go home.

I agree, reese. Lazaro should go home based on his performances for the past two weeks, but he may get the sympathy vote. He's very likeable and his story warms the heart.

~~Mary~~

I feel sorry for Lazaro but I do feel he's been getting the sympathy vote from the beginning. I think it's time for him to go followed by Paul. Just my opinion.

S.S.

Yes, I think you're right, S.S.. Lazaro has been getting the sympathy vote from the beginning. His voice is just not up to par when compared to the other contestants.

~~Mary~~

smark21 Guest
    Finally watching a competition episode tonight. Theme is Music of Detroit—not just Motown, but any singer from Detroit [[there’s going to be a country group performance of a Madonna song—oh my—trainwreck may be on deck!). I can see and hear why you’re all very excited about Candice. She has an old school soul singer vibe to her and she’s very good. She may end up being too old school to win it, but I bet she’ll be there until at least the Final 3/4.

Tonight's episode was incredible!! I won't say anymore until tomorrow because I don't want to spoil anything for those of you on the west coast.

~~Mary~~

It was the CANDICE & AMBER show!!

"Don't Play That Song For Me" should not have been a choice since it was a New York song written in New York by Ahmet Ertigen. Ben E. King recorded the "original" version in 1962.
    Aretha covered it 8 years later in 1970 in New York.
    I just think they should have did only songs written and recorded in Detroit since it was a "Detroit" night.
    I do love the song though, bought the original record when Ben released it.

Devin still has a pure voice in my opinion, sounds good to my ears.

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 03-28-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    It was the CANDICE & AMBER show!!

"Don't Play That Song For Me" should not have been a choice since it was a New York song written in New York by Ahmet Ertigen. Ben E. King recorded the "original" version in 1962.
    Aretha covered it 8 years later in 1970 in New York.
    I just think they should have did only songs written and recorded in Detroit since it was a "Detroit" night.
    I do love the song though, bought the original record when Ben released it.

Devin still has a pure voice in my opinion, sounds good to my ears.

S.S.
    I never thought of it this way, but it is an interesting take on it. By this same token, they wouldn't have performed I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME either, since that was a Kenny Gamble composition.

That said, I thought last night's show was pretty good. Even Lazaro stepped it up. The only contestant who didn't do well [[IMO) was Angie with that limp rendition of SHOP AROUND.

It was also disappointing to see the guys sort of throw Lazaro under the bus for messing up their group number. Granted, he DID mess up the number, and Nikki certainly lit into them for it. But I felt they should have just taken the criticism, and saved the blame for backstage. Even Nikki was sort of signaling them to be quiet when they started commenting.

smark21 Guest
    I turned it off in the middle of Shop Around. The show is just stale at this point. While some of the top 8 are good vocalists, none of them have star quality. I suspect this year’s winner will be the country girl who sang You Keep Me Hangin’ On.

It was great seein' The legend Smokey Robinson on the show last night,again Burnell Taylor was at the top of the game singing Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour,he really put his stamp on it,loved it,Candice Clover singing I Heard It Through The Grapevine,[[what a voice)Janelle Arthur singing The Supremes classic,You Keep Me Hanging On was Super,i must say,she should release it as a single,but the singer of the night was Amber Holcome,singing Stevie Wonder'd Lately,Amber was so good even the judges gave her a standing ovation,THE BEST,she was in the bottom 3 last week,and Lazardo was not? REALLY? lol,Lazardo should not even be in the top 10,the only reason he's in the top 10 is sympathy,I also enjoyed Devin Velez singing Smokey Robinson's classic The Tracks Of My Tears,great job,i'm sorry i did not get the chance to vote last night,DAMMMMM lol,i hope America got it right.
    Please stay positive

It was great seein' The legend Smokey Robinson on the show last night,again Burnell Taylor was at the top of the game singing Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour,he really put his stamp on it,loved it,Candice Clover singing I Heard It Through The Grapevine,[[what a voice)Janelle Arthur singing The Supremes classic,You Keep Me Hanging On was Super,i must say,she should release it as a single,but the singer of the night was Amber Holcome,singing Stevie Wonder's Lately,Amber was so good even the judges gave her a standing ovation,THE BEST,she was in the bottom 3 last week,and Lazardo was not? REALLY? lol,Lazardo should not even be in the top 10,the only reason he's in the top 10 is sympathy,I also enjoyed Devin Velez singing Smokey Robinson's classic The Tracks Of My Tears,great job,i'm sorry i did not get the chance to vote last night,DAMMMMM lol,i hope America got it right.
    Please stay positive

RedHot,

I'm in agreement with you. Soul Sister has a point, but apart from that, my assessment of the vocals is in line with yours. Janelle surprised me with her excellent rendition of "You Keep Me Hanging On". She should release it as her first single. Candice was off the charts and remains my favorite. Last night was the first night I was impressed with Burnell. He did a good job with Stevie Wonder's song. Amber was superb and I agree with Smokey's comment about wanting to turn his TV off when she was in the bottom 3 last week. Devin remains my favorite of the males. That young man can sing! Right on regarding Lazaro. He should have been gone weeks ago. Kree was great IMO, and she's more than a country singer. She's really growing on me week after week. Angie was terrible and the worst performance of the night. She was off key for the entire song and it hurt my ears. lol Last, but not least, Smokey was phenominal, but then he always is. LOVE him. He looked great and gave the contestants excellent advise. You could tell Jimmy was in awe of him, and he should be.

I was totally bummed last night to see that Devin was voted off. I still think he had the best voice of the males, and though I was not surprised, as he has been in the bottom three consistently, it was still disappointing to see him go. Lazro might end up as the "Sanjaya" of this season.

On a positive note, I thought it was nice that Aretha sent Kree a message of congratulations for singing her song "DON'T PLAY THAT SONG" so well.

Agreed, reese. I thought it was a sham and a shame Devin was voted off. He was by far the best of the males. It seemed like Mariah wanted to keep him. I think the judges are waiting to use their "save" on one of the girls.

~~Mary~~

What a joke....we all should know by now how AI and the the way America votes for all the wrong reasons. Lazaro should have been gone a month ago but he'll probably stay to the very end. Although Candice is the best singer by far and rightfully should win the whole thing but we know it won't go that way. I am sick of AI & America's dumbass way of voting so I am done with AI, I'll only watch Candice's performance, that's it!

S.S.

I Agree with you Soul Sister,i can't believe that Lazaro is still on the show,America did not get it right,Lazaro needs to go,he stayed,and Devin was let go?REALLY?watching Devin sang It's Impossible even made me teary eyes,DAMMMM Devin sang his you know what off,i'm sorry to say with keepin' Lazaro it makes America Idol looks cheap,he is the only one on the show that looks amateur,the other cast is at the top of the GAME,SORRY,i got to keep it 100
    Please stay positive

I gree with you too, REDHOT.... Devin has the stuff of a real singer when he can make people feel it to the point of moving them to tears.
    America got is backwards last night. But when it comes to A.I. that's nothing new.

S.S.

"Lazaro needs to go,he stayed,and Devin was let go?REALLY?"

That is all political. While it is impressive how he overcomes his stutter when he sings ,his accent is not suitable for all around Pop songs. He does better with songs in his native language. He is still there to serve as an inspiration to others ,at least that's how I see it. The last ten are still included in the IDOL tours and specials and have a better chance at scoring other work in the industry even though they didn't win. IDOL at this point in the series is just a way of giving some of them exposure. Most of the songs are older than the performers that sang them. My hats off to Mariah who continually expressed SMOKEY as damn near an institution in the music ,although I didn't like that ,to those in certain demographics would be led to think he had a hand in some of the songs that were presented. No mention of HDH etc.

All in all you can't dismiss the fact that ..........it's just television.

What did you think of last night's show??

I thought Kree nailed the Janis Joplin song. I'm concerned for Candice, although I still think she has the best voice of all. She chose the wrong Stones song. She delivered it well, but I would love to have heard her do "Gimme Shelter", which would have fit her voice perfectly. Her power and range would have come through on that tune. Amber was a standout last night and Angie did well, too. Lazaro did a better job than previous weeks, but I still feel he should go home. He should have been voted off weeks ago.

~~Mary~~

Last night's show made me wish that they only had 60 minutes. Much too much padding, especially with the judges. That said, my fave last night was Amber. Candice was her usual good self, but I didn't like SATISFACTION for her. I thought she came off better during her duet with Burnell. I thought Janelle was better than the judges thought.

As for who's going home? Probably Burnell or Lazaro.

I totally agree, Reese.

S.S.

smark21 Guest
    Amber did a nice job with What About Love, though it can’t compare to Ann Wilson of Heart who sung the definitive version of this song. When I saw Heart last fall, the song was on the set list and it was a show stopper.

It was super sad to see Burnell go home,but when Lazaro is one of the top 3's every one on the show should worry,with Lazaro stayin on the show it makes the show look bad,i'll say it again Lazaro should not be in the top 10,at all,Amber did a nice job on What About Love?Amber did a Super Job,Amber should have been in the top 3,like i said everyone on the show should worry,things are lookin' bad,i'm sorry to say,
    Please stay positive