[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wells and David Ruffin

Hello,

I find it highly odd that after reading many Motown books [[including artists) and watching many documentaries on Motown that ALL forgot to mention that David Ruffin and Mary Wells were once an item, for six months and he proposed to her. Now how in the world do you forget to mention that?

Quote Originally Posted by summer96 View Post
    Hello,

I find it highly odd that after reading many Motown books [[including artists) and watching many documentaries on Motown that ALL forgot to mention that David Ruffin and Mary Wells were once an item, for six months and he proposed to her. Now how in the world do you forget to mention that?

Really? I never knew that. I knew David dated Dee Dee Sharp back in the day, but nothing about Mary Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Really? I never knew that. I knew David dated Dee Dee Sharp back in the day, but nothing about Mary Wells.

Yeah they were an item. It's in the book. Why would they hide it? That's big Motown news.

thomas96 Guest
    What book? I've never heard it either...

MARY WELLS The Tumultuous Life of Motown's First Superstar by Peter Benjaminson pp 57-58.

Quote Originally Posted by summer96 View Post
    Yeah they were an item. It's in the book. Why would they hide it? That's big Motown news.
    Could have been because one of them may have been married at the time?

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Could have been because one of them may have been married at the time?
    Well that doesn't mean biographers would hide it in later books, or even first-hand accounts would hide it in later testaments.

Thanks Carole.

Peter Benjaminson covered that part in Mary's book. You can google it. It's there in Google Books, the whole enchilada, just scroll down lol they were together for about six months but attention from opposing parties [[men for Mary and women for David) caused Mary to tell David they should end it because "it was getting ridiculous".

smark21 Guest
    What specifically more do you need to know? How does 6 months of dating and having sex shed further light on the musical legacy of Motown?