[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    thomas96 Guest

Marvin & Tammi's Easy album

Who really sang the vocals for Tammi's part? Marvin said it was Valerie, Valerie has insisted it was Tammi. Also, how sick was Tammi at this time? Was she too sick to sing? I'm just curious. It sounds like Tammi, but Valerie can sound like Tammi as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Who really sang the vocals for Tammi's part? Marvin said it was Valerie, Valerie has insisted it was Tammi. Also, how sick was Tammi at this time? Was she too sick to sing? I'm just curious. It sounds like Tammi, but Valerie can sound like Tammi as well.
    I would bet it was Valerie. She did some singing for another artist she wrote and produced for I have heard.........[[smile)! hehehehehehehe......

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    Love Diana but on one of her songs I definitely did hear val...
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I would bet it was Valerie. She did some singing for another artist she wrote and produced for I have heard.........[[smile)! hehehehehehehe......

Quote Originally Posted by I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations View Post
    Love Diana but on one of her songs I definitely did hear val...
    Could it have been "The Boss"? I'm just asking........hehehehehe~!

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    I hope my opinion doesn't cause too much controversy but is it me or some parts of Your all I need Sound like Valerie...I do think that Tammi sang on that but little ad libs sound like Val?
    Am I the only one hears it? Or am I going crazy...

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations View Post
    I hope my opinion doesn't cause too much controversy but is it me or some parts of Your all I need Sound like Valerie...I do think that Tammi sang on that but little ad libs sound like Val?
    Am I the only one hears it? Or am I going crazy...
    I'll have to listen through it again. I hope that's not the case, but it very well may be.

This has been discussed and debated for some time. Some people feel Tammi is on the Easy album, some believe it's Valerie and others believe it is a blend of both voices.

Let me put it this way... Your brain is a computer for your entire body. It controls everything. If you touch or operate on portions of the brain it can seriously affect how your body functions. If you have nine brain operations to remove a tumor, what are the chances your singing voice will be the same as before those nine operations?

I hear parts of Tammi and Valerie in most of the songs on "Easy". The songs where it sounds like someone is really trying could be Tammi whereas the more confident sounding vocals could've very well had been Valerie's. That said, Marvin and Valerie, as I think about it, weren't wrong in their stories. Tammi was there but not there, ya dig? But, like "[[ain't nobody come to see you)" Otis said, "Tammi was a fighter" so she probably did her hardest to sing on those tracks. Who knows? Marvin, Tammi & Nickolas are not around to explain further [[and even when Nick was alive, Val only talked about it, he remained tight-lipped lol).

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I hear parts of Tammi and Valerie in most of the songs on "Easy". The songs where it sounds like someone is really trying could be Tammi whereas the more confident sounding vocals could've very well had been Valerie's. That said, Marvin and Valerie, as I think about it, weren't wrong in their stories. Tammi was there but not there, ya dig? But, like "[[ain't nobody come to see you)" Otis said, "Tammi was a fighter" so she probably did her hardest to sing on those tracks. Who knows? Marvin, Tammi & Nickolas are not around to explain further [[and even when Nick was alive, Val only talked about it, he remained tight-lipped lol).
    Yeah I agree, I hear both and bet Val did some parts, and Tammi did others.

What if Val made a promise to Tammi ?

i have no problem with the whole andante bit ... however the scam motown pulled with valerie simpson singing most, if not all of the later "marvin & tammi" hits, including all of "easy" reeks of a berry gordy money grabbing venture. marvin & tammi were hot, and berry took advantage of this for profit. a far nobler thing to do would have been to release the work under "marvin & valerie" with the acknowledgment that the songs were written for tammi, that she was unable to sing them, and that part of the proceeds would go to tammi's health care [[that motown did in fact pay for). this has always been the most underhanded stories in a long list of motown scams.

This "Did she/Didn't she" discussion must be coming up for its 45th anniversary soon!

Older than some of the posters on here. lol

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    This "Did she/Didn't she" discussion must be coming up for its 45th anniversary soon!

........sigh.......................

double sigh.............................................. .........

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    ........sigh.......................

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

That was funny but it's so true. This has been discussed as much as Flo and the damned Supremes. Listen to Love Woke Me Up this Morning on Easy which is supposed to be by Marvin and "Tammi" and then listen to the song again [[if you have it) by Valerie Simpson. Let me know what YOUR EARS tell you.

RossHolloway Guest
    Personally I think that Valerie is on more tracks by Marvin & Tammi even before the Easy album.

Haha @ "Flo and the damned Supremes". You got a point.

I actually hear Valerie's voice on "What You Gave Me" and "How You Gonna Keep It". Not too sure about "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy to Come By"... it sounds like BOTH of them lol

Maybe new people haven't had the discussion a lot of times. And maybe they have and want to have it again. And maybe there is new info! Ya, right. But I will go listen to the two songs suggested and see if my computer is working or if it is older than the songs and failing.

All I was ever left to wonder is why Valerie denies much if any involvement; but perhaps she is one of the loyal, polite, Motown types.

According to the interview that Valerie Simpson gave for Tammi Terrell's "UnSung", Valerie only did the guide vocals for Tammi on the "Easy" album.

And those are the vocals Motown wound up using for the lp. Valerie is on ten of the twelve tracks. Tammi is on I Can't Believe You Love Me and More, More, More. If you listen closely you can hear the differences in the vocals. Tammi's vocals are less nasal

I think the deal is that some fans are still stuck on the myth that Tammi was some kind of shut-in for the last two years of her life. Which is something thats been de-bunked numerous occasions. Either that, or they're just not comfortable with the idea of Tammi actually singing through her illness. I brought the Valerie Simpson anthology for the sole purpose of hearing "Love woke me up" and to me the vocals were apples and oranges in comparision.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I think the deal is that some fans are still stuck on the myth that Tammi was some kind of shut-in for the last two years of her life. Which is something thats been de-bunked numerous occasions. Either that, or they're just not comfortable with the idea of Tammi actually singing through her illness. I brought the Valerie Simpson anthology for the sole purpose of hearing "Love woke me up" and to me the vocals were apples and oranges in comparision.
    Tammi had 9 BRAIN SURGERIES between the fall of 1967 and the time of her death, so you'll have to excuse some people for being skeptical of Tammi recording songs in DETROIT at the time in question. Anyone else find it curious that Tammi recorded only ONE solo song after her collapse in the fall of 1967, yet "recorded" two more duet albums with Marvin Gaye? I have my doubts. If Motown could substitute the voice of the Supreme's with the Andantes, why would the company be above substituting Valerie Simpson in for a sick Tammi Terrell?

I also think that A LOT of questions would be answered with the release of the unreleased Nic and Val album that's been in the vaults since 1972/3. Something tells me those duet recordings will never see the light of day because Valerie is sounding a bit too much like Tammi on those recordings...
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 03-04-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    If Motown could substitute the voice of the Supreme's with the Andantes, why would the company be above substituting Valerie Simpson in for a sick Tammi Terrell?
    At this point I'm apt to believe that Michael Jackson was on that soundstage where they filmed the lunar landing. I love all the conspiracies on this forum. Keeps it interesting. My own is that there is a parallel set of WDOLG where Flo sang all the leads.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    At this point I'm apt to believe that Michael Jackson was on that soundstage where they filmed the lunar landing. I love all the conspiracies on this forum. Keeps it interesting. My own is that there is a parallel set of WDOLG where Flo sang all the leads.
    And why are you so sure that it is all Tammi? Because Motown told you so? lol

And why are you so sure that it is all Tammi? Because Motown told you so? lol
    I'm not. I think its Flo. Barry secretly hired her back for those sessions.

Tammi had 9 BRAIN SURGERIES between the fall of 1967 and the time of her death, so you'll have to excuse some people for being skeptical of Tammi recording songs in DETROIT at the time in question. Anyone else find it curious that Tammi recorded only ONE solo song after her collapse in the fall of 1967, yet "recorded" two more duet albums with Marvin Gaye? I have my doubts. If Motown could substitute the voice of the Supreme's with the Andantes, why would the company be above substituting Valerie Simpson in for a sick Tammi Terrell?
    That's what I mean; the same one-sided selective exposed argument. Any evidence that sugestt Tammi was even was in the room during "easy" is almost completely ignored. Tammi had at least one operation prior to YAINTGB a six month gap between the november session for Good lovin ain't easy to come by. During which there were at least 3 operations. While dftmc has the session dates, we don't know the dates for the surgeries.

More later when im home

... I brought the Valerie Simpson anthology for the sole purpose of hearing "Love woke me up" and to me the vocals were apples and oranges in comparision.
    The vocals on both songs are done by the same singer. They are almost identical. The singer's style was already intact.

There was a long thread on this discussion topic a while back, in which someone posted a link to an Ebony cover story in which Tammi - quite thin and recovering from one of her recent surgeries - was heartbreaking to see. Based on the timeline which the article supported, in that Tammi was looking forward to recording again sometime in the future, it would have been nearly impossible for her to record the "Easy" album which me memory tells me would have been almost immediately concurrent with the article's being published, or even prior to that. [[I don't remember all the details, obviously.)

Whether or not it is possible that she recorded some of "Easy" and they wove together a "vocal tapestry," as someone writes in the Tammi Terrell box set, my ears told me she sounded strange on that album, with a heavier, more exaggerated vocal style, even when I bought it when I was 12 or so. Of course, I would have never had the idea that it wasn't her, but I did wonder why she sounded so different. Even back then, it was easy to pick out the 1 or 2 tracks where you could tell it was Tammi [[via an original solo recording such as "I Can't Believe You Love Me") where they just added Marvin's voice to make it a duet.

I admire Valerie Simpson for protecting her friend's privacy all these years later, but after Marvin Gaye revealed it was Val on the album, it all made sense to me.

Finding the older thread with the photos would be interesting to those who haven't seen it. I think the analysis in that thread about the timeline especially was exhaustive.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    There was a long thread on this discussion topic a while back, in which someone posted a link to an Ebony cover story in which Tammi - quite thin and recovering from one of her recent surgeries - was heartbreaking to see. Based on the timeline which the article supported, in that Tammi was looking forward to recording again sometime in the future, it would have been nearly impossible for her to record the "Easy" album which me memory tells me would have been almost immediately concurrent with the article's being published, or even prior to that. [[I don't remember all the details, obviously.)

Whether or not it is possible that she recorded some of "Easy" and they wove together a "vocal tapestry," as someone writes in the Tammi Terrell box set, my ears told me she sounded strange on that album, with a heavier, more exaggerated vocal style, even when I bought it when I was 12 or so. Of course, I would have never had the idea that it wasn't her, but I did wonder why she sounded so different. Even back then, it was easy to pick out the 1 or 2 tracks where you could tell it was Tammi [[via an original solo recording such as "I Can't Believe You Love Me") where they just added Marvin's voice to make it a duet.

I admire Valerie Simpson for protecting her friend's privacy all these years later, but after Marvin Gaye revealed it was Val on the album, it all made sense to me.

Finding the older thread with the photos would be interesting to those who haven't seen it. I think the analysis in that thread about the timeline especially was exhaustive.

I remeber that article in Ebony and if my memory is correct Tammi also mentions that she had not done any recording in over 18 MONTHS. And you're right about those pictures of Tammi, they were heartbreaking.

I remeber that article in Ebony and if my memory is correct Tammi also mentions that she had not done any recording in over 18 MONTHS. And you're right about those pictures of Tammi, they were heartbreaking.
    You're right. Now that you mention the 18 month gap, I recall that as well from the article. To me, the reason the article had so much credibility on this issue so many years later is because it was in her own words at the time, where there was no "Easy" album controversy whatsoever.

One heartbreaking revelation in the article was that Tammi & David announced their engagement publicly onstage when they were both appearing at the same theater. She only found out after the fact that that he was already married!
    One heartwarming revelation is Tammi's acknowledgement of Berry Gordy's great generosity in taking care of her medical expenses.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFD...page&q&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    One heartbreaking revelation in the article was that Tammi & David announced their engagement publicly onstage when they were both appearing at the same theater. She only found out after the fact that that he was already married!
    One heartwarming revelation is Tammi's acknowledgement of Berry Gordy's great generosity in taking care of her medical expenses.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFD...page&q&f=false
    Tried to read article but couldn't get it to enlarge on phone! I have no access to a computer because of covid. Anyway the photos were sad to see, especially the one where Tam mi is walking with the man, seems like her whole right side is affected

Quote Originally Posted by TammiTerrellFan View Post
    Tried to read article but couldn't get it to enlarge on phone! I have no access to a computer because of covid. Anyway the photos were sad to see, especially the one where Tam mi is walking with the man, seems like her whole right side is affected
    So you're an obvious TT fan. What are your thoughts on the Easy album? What do you hear, Tammi or Valerie?

Wow, Carole, you found the article. What a beautiful article that was. Thanks for the link.

The vocals on "Easy" do sound nasal...

RossHolloway Guest
    All one needs to do is compare the songs done by Tammi on her anthology versus those duet songs in question and it's almost shockingly obvious that Tammi is not singing those songs. It's like night and day- One singer is Tammi Terrell and the other one is a singer trying to sound like Tammi Terrell.

All one needs to do is compare the songs done by Tammi on her anthology versus those duet songs in question and it's almost shockingly obvious that Tammi is not singing those songs. It's like night and day- One singer is Tammi Terrell and the other one is a singer trying to sound like Tammi Terrell.
    You are right.

Ross...I'm confused by your statement. None of the Tammi solos were redone by Valerie.
    Any of Tammi's solos that were engineered into duets with Marvin were in fact Tammi.
    The only 2 tracks on "Easy" that are Tammi vocals are "I Can't believe You Love Me" and "More More More".

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Ross...I'm confused by your statement. None of the Tammi solos were redone by Valerie.
    Any of Tammi's solos that were engineered into duets with Marvin were in fact Tammi.
    The only 2 tracks on "Easy" that are Tammi vocals are "I Can't believe You Love Me" and "More More More".
    I'm not saying that Valerie ever personally re-recorded any of Tammi's solo songs. I'm saying listen to the tracks on Tammi's anthology Come On And See Me- The Complete Solo Collection and get a true sense of Tammi's singing style, diction, and phrasing AND THEN listen to the song off the Easy album [[I Can't believe You Love Me and More More More are in fact Tammi) the other songs are NOT Tammi, but instead Valerie Simpson singing as Tammi. I also think that Valerie is also on some songs on the You're All I Need to Get By album. I haven't listened to the album in a while, but if you know what to listen for, Valerie's voice jumps out on that album as well.
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 03-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.

I think you meant the "Easy" songs only, right? Because everything else was Tammi's.

you know what, i'm done! Cause I can't deal with being blasted just because I have a different opinion from the majority. I've stated my piece many times, so you can just sort the achieves if your really interested.

RossHolloway Guest
    you know what, i'm done! Cause I can't deal with being blasted just because I have a different opinion from the majority. I've stated my piece many times, so you can just sort the achieves if your really interested.

We're all individuals here and it's perfectly fine to have a different opinion. People are just expressing their opinions on this one subject and some put more significance on certain "facts" while others don't. All is ok. If you have something of value to contribute to this discussion [[or any discussion), I, as a fan of all things Motown, want to hear it. I may not agree with you at all times, but I do respect your right to express yourself.

^ Interesting. I may have to listen to that album and see if I hear any Valerie-esque vocals going on.

There was also some basic documentary evidence that one astute observer pointed out from the annotations on the Complete Singles sets. All of the "Easy" singles session notes credited Marvin Gaye solo recording dates, but never Tammi. Instead, it would say "Additional Lead Vocal" or something like that. I forget the exact wording, but if you check the later box sets [[I think the "Easy" singles would have been '69 or '70), you'll see what I mean.

I'm not sure, but I think "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy to Come By" and "The Onion Song" were the only singles off the LP.

Good Lovin' was the first single, What You Gave Me the second. Onion Song/California Soul was issued posthumously as the third single

Kenneth, thanks for pointing that out.
    For 'The Onion Song' Marvin records his lead vocal on March 15, but 1 day later for 'What You Gave Me', 'How You Gonna Keep It [[After You Get It)' and 'California Soul'. Whether the term 'demo lead vocal recorded' or 'vocal added' or' vocal added at GW' follows Marvin's information in reference to the female voice, the log shows the exact same date of March 17, 1969 [[Happy St. Patrick's Day!) for all four songs.
    Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By' annotation ends with Marvin Gaye lead vocal recorded in New York, November 21, 1968; 'Satified Feelin' shows Marvin's lead vocal date as May 23, 1968 followed by demo and background vocals added November 7, 1968.
    While this proves nothing, it is interesting to ponder.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Kenneth, thanks for pointing that out.
    For 'The Onion Song' Marvin records his lead vocal on March 15, but 1 day later for 'What You Gave Me', 'How You Gonna Keep It [[After You Get It)' and 'California Soul'. Whether the term 'demo lead vocal recorded' or 'vocal added' or' vocal added at GW' follows Marvin's information in reference to the female voice, the log shows the exact same date of March 17, 1969 [[Happy St. Patrick's Day!) for all four songs.
    Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By' annotation ends with Marvin Gaye lead vocal recorded in New York, November 21, 1968; 'Satified Feelin' shows Marvin's lead vocal date as May 23, 1968 followed by demo and background vocals added November 7, 1968.
    While this proves nothing, it is interesting to ponder.
    So between those recording dates and the November 1969 interview that Tammi gave to Ebony magazine where she stated that she had not recorded in a year and a half...something doesn't quite add up. Where's Harry, Andy and George S. when we need them?

So between those recording dates and the November 1969 interview that Tammi gave to Ebony magazine where she stated that she had not recorded in a year and a half...something doesn't quite add up. Where's Harry, Andy and George S. when we need them?
    ANd the truth was staring us in the face all the time......

"Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" was recorded in 1967 [[prior to her collapse, or to her buckling downwards, according to an audience member that night). "You're All I Need to Get By", if you believe Unsung's account, was recorded six weeks after the collapse [[the collapse was in October, so she probably recorded later that November or December of 1967). Somebody's lying. If Tammi herself said she hadn't recorded for a year and a half [[which in her timeline is between possibly December of 1967 and November of 1969), then Valerie Simpson and Ludie Montgomery are not being truthful about the details.

According to session info available in the Complete Motown Singles Collection Vol 8: 1968
    the track for 'You're All I Need To Get By' was recorded April 15, 1968; horns and strings recorded April 27; demo lead vocals recorded May 21; lead vocals -May 22; Marvin re-cut May 23; background vocals May 27; Tammi re-cut May 28; lead & backgrounds re-recorded May 29.
    Tammi's collapse occurred on Sat. Oct 14, 1967.
    In the first full paragraph of page 102 of the Ebony article, Tammi relates about going back to performing after her first operation against the advice of her doctor. Her unmentioned brief visit to Hitsville in the spring of '68 could have taken place around that same time.
    Obviously no-one [[even Tammi herself) gave any indication to Art Peters that Tammi[[she) had made a brave visit to the studio in 1968.