[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'll try one more time to give my take. Yes, I believe that Valerie is on "Easy", that's no big secret. I'm just not on board with those who say it's all Val and No Tammi! And the ebony article, dftmc, the TCMS, Unsung, and my own audio research have all been factors to my reasoning. The common story is that the pairing of Marvin with Val as Tammi was done to help with the medical bills, which in reality, was already being taken care of by Berry. I also believe Val's voice was too raw and powerful. Plus, given all the stories we've heard about Tammi's endurance, I don't think she would of responded well to being replaced. Hell, she could only watch Marvin sing her songs with Carla Thomas for so long before she caught Marvin's attention and stole the show[[ this was after "Easy" had been recorded). If that had happened in the studio, I think "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy" would of been a one-off single . Again, just my two cents.

"Inspired" by some of the posts above, I just had a listen to the "United", "You're All I Need" and "Easy" albums. "United" is all Marvin and Tammi, and I would suggest that the "YAIN" album is also all Marvin and Tammi with the exception of the title song [[and it pains me to say it) since the female vocal on "You're All I Need To Get By" and "Good Lovin Ain't Easy To Come By" sound very much the same to me then it's Valerie Simpson. It sounds to me like Valerie on all the harmony parts with Marvin, and if Tammi is on it at all I would suggest just the verses OR verse and harmonies with help from Valerie. As regard "Easy", I would agree that aside from the 2 obvious Tammi songs, the rest are Marvin and Valerie. Just an opinion, of course!

The 2009 thread on this issue. It's a long read.

Start here...................http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/2...tml?1256821878

and here's the rest ...http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/2...tml?1258518846
    Last edited by daddyacey; 03-05-2013 at 11:49 PM.

God I remember that. I posted on it! Ha.

From Jobeterob's posts, it seems like all the parties that were alive at the time admitted only that Tammi was "there" and she tried her best but they stopped short of admitting that Valerie was singing with Tammi on the records. I'm gonna conclude that both Tammi and Valerie are on it in various degrees.
    Last edited by midnightman; 03-06-2013 at 12:47 AM.

This is definately Valerie Simpson singin "You're All I Need To Get By" plus there's "Stand By Me". Both songs have an association with Tammi I believe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ76RZbc9_U

Well, at least we know Ain't No Mountain High enough was them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmUFDVv4sZQ

What could have been the case is that when Gordy ordered the release of this lp, which Gaye was against doing, he left Valerie's vocal on those tracks likely without Valerie know it. More likely is that Valerie is championing Tammi and helping give her memory a more lasting impression. In either case, it's an outstanding album. To me the best of the three.

In the November 1969 interview, Tammi said that she hadn't recorded for a year and a half which would make her final recording around May 1968. That puts it firmly at the session for "You're All I Need To Get By" where TCMS states that Tammi's vocal was re-cut on 28th May 1968. Some re-recording took place the day after [[which I believe would be Valerie singing the final pieces). I have read that a recording session with Tammi was very difficult because she was so ill and there had to be frequent breaks. I suggest that it describes this session on 28th May. I've also read that Valerie has described recordings being a "rich tapestry" of hers and Tammi's vocals, and again, I suggest that this refers to YAINTGB. Finally, most of the published versions of the song YAINTGB have Marvin saying "Tammi listen" between the first and second verses. However, the single just has the word "listen" and this is the track that is on TCMS. None of the recording sessions for singles following YANTGB have Tammi listed, but they do Marvin [[check out TCMS).

To my ears Tammi is on the first verse of YAINTGB. Valerie is on the second [[Darling in you I found...). I say this because the nasal intonations are different, also because suddenly "Tammi" is singing in a high register on the second verse than on the first.

Given some thing i've read about David Ritz in a different forum, it's possible, I repeat possible, that Marvin's may have actually given a statement similar to Valerie's. Since Marvin had passed before the book was released, Ritz might of twisted the story to make it juicer. If you've read over the passage about "Easy" the whole thing made Tammi out to be a complete invalid and a charity case far removed from what's depicted in the article.

Martha Reeves also stated in her book that Valerie in on "Easy" but she states that it was only on a few songs and done to help downplay the effects of Tammi's illness on her voice. Which to me seems to me the most logical scenario. I also believe it's all Tammi on You're All I Need to Get By, and I think I may heard Marvin sing Tammi's name towards the fade on Good Lovin' Ain't Easy to Come By.
    Last edited by jboy88; 03-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.

I don't think you can ignore the Ebony article in which Tammi herself saud she hadn't recorded for a year and a half. Given what we know, it is my belief that the recording session for "You're All I Need To Get By" was her last and that even then she was very poorly - some of the vocals are clearly Valerie's on that track. I think I agree too with BayouMotownMan as to the make up of the vocals on it. That has nothing to do with David Ritz. Tammi is not on "Good Loving Ain't Easy To Come By" and is not listed as being at any recording session for it, or any after YAINTGB unless anyone knows different for a fact?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I don't think you can ignore the Ebony article in which Tammi herself saud she hadn't recorded for a year and a half. Given what we know, it is my belief that the recording session for "You're All I Need To Get By" was her last and that even then she was very poorly - some of the vocals are clearly Valerie's on that track. I think I agree too with BayouMotownMan as to the make up of the vocals on it. That has nothing to do with David Ritz. Tammi is not on "Good Loving Ain't Easy To Come By" and is not listed as being at any recording session for it, or any after YAINTGB unless anyone knows different for a fact?
    The article stated at the beginning that Tammi was enroute to her first session after having six operations, her first in nearly two years [[ which was likely a typo). That would imply that she was going to do the sessions for Easy. This was backed up in TCMS 1969. 8 of the ten track were finished by March 17th, three days before she gave a brief performance in New Jersey.

Always an interesting topic this, but we've perhaps nailed it here. The Ebony mag was published in November 1969. I'm not sure when the incident with Tammi on the plane is meant to have happened [[I've probably missed it), but if it was not much earlier than November, then Tammi couldn't have been going to a recording session for Easy because all the tracks were complete by 18th March 1969 and the album issued in September 69. In fact the single of "Good Lovin Ain't Easy To Come By" was released earlier on 14/1/69. So I think that answers it. She couldn't have been on Easy [[aside from the 2 tracks recorded previously).

^ According to the Soulful Detroit archives, the plane incident was in early 1968, probably right after the first surgery.

Always an interesting topic this, but we've perhaps nailed it here. The Ebony mag was published in November 1969. I'm not sure when the incident with Tammi on the plane is meant to have happened [[I've probably missed it), but if it was not much earlier than November, then Tammi couldn't have been going to a recording session for Easy because all the tracks were complete by 18th March 1969 and the album issued in September 69. In fact the single of "Good Lovin Ain't Easy To Come By" was released earlier on 14/1/69. So I think that answers it. She couldn't have been on Easy [[aside from the 2 tracks recorded previously).
    I'm not sure we read the same article! Because it said she was giong to record after 6 operations. She only had 1 before YAINTGB! If anything the article proves Tammi IS on "Easy". It also said she'd had 6 operations within 18 month, no reference was made to recordings.
    Last edited by jboy88; 03-07-2013 at 02:37 AM.

The article clearly says that Tammi was on her way to her first recording session in nearly 2 years [[which feels a bit too long). However, on a re-read it appears that the plane incident took place in Spring 1969. On that basis, she could have been going to the final sessions for "Easy" because the tracks were all completed by 28th March 1969 [[and indeed this could have been the catalyst for their completion). But if Tammi did make the sessions, why would she not be shown as such in TCMS for the relevant singles tracks? Moreover, the recording sessions for "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy" took place between 27/9/68 and 21/11/68 and it had been released on 14/1/69 - it's very hard to believe that Tammi had any involvement with that.

Since the recording dates for "Satisfied Feelin" are very similar to YAINTGB, is is entirely feasible that Tammi could have recorded some of that, but she was already poorly and the dentist incident and first operation had taken place.

The final vocal session for "The Onion Song" and "California Soul" is shown as on 17th March 1969 in TCMS and although it doesn't credit Tammi, could this have been the Spring session she was travelling to? The TCMS write up says that these were recorded at Tammi's "last recording session" but also that she "adamantly attended recording sessions to the end" which could, of course, have been simply a reference to the final session.

Time for another listen to "Easy". May be someone can point out where they can definately hear Tammi [[but not on the 2 obvious ones!).

well, despite all of the different scenarios, we seem to have made quite a bit of progress since the last visit to this subject. almost everyone agrees that tammi terrell is either only mixed "in a rich tapestry" [[valerie simpson's covert way of getting out of answering the question), or not on the "easy" album.

i still maintain that this remains the most underhanded act that berry gordy performed at motown. i don't for one second believe he did this to help terrell. he was already paying her doctor's bills, but instead he wanted more hit singles, fame, and glory. what an egotistical man.

the fact remain that motown lied to its fans. i do feel hurt that i, as a teenager, was duped by his actions. i wised up in my twenties, when my ear was sharper! the sad fact remains that had the singles from "easy" been correctly labeled, we the fans would have been more than sympathetic. it isn't as if we didn't knew that terrell had been a fabulously sexy and very talented singer, who if she had been well could have tossed off these songs with the ease and flair she recorded all of her music.

motown did not hire singers who couldn't sing, writers who couldn't write, or producers who couldn't produce. why lie to us, berry? money, that's what he wants!

Gosh, it is Valerie Simpson on You're All I Need...as well.

How about a reminder?
    Name:  3 by 3 jpg.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  87.7 KB

thomas96 Guest
    Wow, great thread. After listening to You're all I Need I think it definitely is Valerie throughout the whole song. Very disappointing. As much as I respect Berry Gordy, and am thankful for him starting the company, etc, it's things like this that make me skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Gosh, it is Valerie Simpson on You're All I Need...as well.
    I've been listening for clues of Valerie's work on these songs--and it's right there on one of their biggest hits. I didn't really expect that...

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...estion-At-last!!!!!!! Ross, Dave and Nixon dug deep!

The words of Johnny Bristol are interesting, as are the others quoted, and it is clear just how much folks are/were wanting to ensure Tammi's legacy and body of work would endure, and why not? I for one can't get enough of Tammi Terrell's songs. I don't share the view that Berry Gordy's motive's were simply to raise more money - it seems like everyone just pulled together to do their best for her. What is apparent is that there was a long gap in recording sessions for Tammi and piecing together the info from the Ebony article and others [[and as jboy88 has insisted all along) she was there for the final sessions on Easy but they just used the best vocals for the final tracks whether it was Val or Tammi or a mixture -and that would have been normal for Motown I think). The clue, from Johnny Bristol, is that he says he can tell where Tammi is singing - which means there are times when she isn't.

But none of this is meant to take anything away from Tammi Terrell, or anyone else. Quite the opposite, in fact, they should be [[and are) admired for what they achieved - and it had me fooled for a long long time as I never suspected anything all those years ago. Moreso because it is apparent that Tammi had some difficulty on all of her recordings after her collapse. This included much help from Val on "You're All I Need To Get By" [[but I'm sure I can hear more of Tammi in the verse parts of that record). However, "Satisfied Feelin" has a very similar chronology to YAINTGB in terms of recording sessions and that seems to me to be mostly Valerie, as do all the tracks thereafter. BUT all of the info suggests to me that Tammi could not have been on "Good Lovin Ain't Easy To Come By" at all. Please persuade me otherwise.

So now I've ordered Ludie's book - I wonder if my mind will be changed once again when I've read it [[always from cover to cover with any book about Motown lol).

...I don't share the view that Berry Gordy's motive's were simply to raise more money - it seems like everyone just pulled together to do their best for her ...
    i don't understand why gordy is given so much slack. his motive was fame and money ... i am not sure which was more important to him ... it was probably a tie! simpson was a driven "a" type personality, and marvin & tammi were her biggest creation at this point in her career. ashford was a mellow guy and steered clear of questioning the autocratic simpson. marvin went along with the deal knowing in his soul it was a pact with the devil. he suffered long and hard over his part in this scam!

i don't like the way people treat this as "business as usual" at motown. at this time in the recording studio using seasoned professionals to play background instruments and vocals was the norm. it was never acceptable to purposefully mislable a record "marvin gaye & tammi terrell" when terrell was not the co-lead singer. shame on motown! all of these records should be correctly attributed, and we, the purchasers of the mislabeled records should be offered the chance to here the tapes of tammi and valerie for history's sake. i think tammi was one of motown's most delightful singers. simpson has a fine gospel voice. let us hear whatever recordings are "in the vault"!

i don't suppose this part of history will make it into "motown: the musical"! just seeing "gordy" sing "you're all i need to get by" [[or is it "ain't no mountain high enough"?) to "ross" is enough to keep me away from broadway until the dang play closes!

bless you tammi terrell ... you are an angel in my book!

RossHolloway Guest
    I stand by what I wrote in this thread and the previous thread on this topic.

This has been a very interesting thread. Unfortunately, the issues and concerns at the center of it may never get answered with any final or official response unless, perhaps, the producers of the recordings in question come forward with the actual production specifics. I would like to think that the discussions that come up about this are a means of leading to the information that many, including myself, would like to know. It could happen but, for now, it seems highly unlikely. As The Marvelettes once sang, THE TRUTH'S OUTSIDE MY DOOR. If only it were.

What's so unsettling is that one's admiration towards certain recordings and very specific artists is now re-mixed with doubt. The movie business has always used stand-ins, stunt doubles, body doubles, special effects, editing, you-name-it--all to produce a desired effect. It's distressing to realize that--in some cases--the record business could proceed along the same lines. And any such decisions to do so may have been made directly for the sake of expediency rather than any pointed attempt at misleading. But in the end, something may have been advertised and promoted as one thing when, in fact, it wasn't quite that. And there's the rub that's troublesome. And baby, I can't scratch it.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I stand by what I wrote in this thread and the previous thread on this topic.
    you are a voice of reasoned sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    That did it! I'm done for real now! It's obvious that I've just been wasting my time here.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    That did it! I'm done for real now! It's obvious that I've just been wasting my time here.
    No! Please wait! Don't go! Stop.... Oh, well, I tried.

RossHolloway Guest
    I can't tell if you're being serious or just poking fun.

i don't understand why gordy is given so much slack. his motive was fame and money ... i am not sure which was more important to him ... it was probably a tie! simpson was a driven "a" type personality, and marvin & tammi were her biggest creation at this point in her career. ashford was a mellow guy and steered clear of questioning the autocratic simpson. marvin went along with the deal knowing in his soul it was a pact with the devil. he suffered long and hard over his part in this scam!

i don't like the way people treat this as "business as usual" at motown. at this time in the recording studio using seasoned professionals to play background instruments and vocals was the norm. it was never acceptable to purposefully mislable a record "marvin gaye & tammi terrell" when terrell was not the co-lead singer. shame on motown! all of these records should be correctly attributed, and we, the purchasers of the mislabeled records should be offered the chance to here the tapes of tammi and valerie for history's sake. i think tammi was one of motown's most delightful singers. simpson has a fine gospel voice. let us hear whatever recordings are "in the vault"!

i don't suppose this part of history will make it into "motown: the musical"! just seeing "gordy" sing "you're all i need to get by" [[or is it "ain't no mountain high enough"?) to "ross" is enough to keep me away from broadway until the dang play closes!

bless you tammi terrell ... you are an angel in my book!
    I agree. Marvin was tired of the recording business afterwards. I remember after Tammi's death he told David Ritz he wanted to actually quit the business and go into another field [[this was around the time he tried to have a tryout with the Detroit Lions and we know how that went). Marvin didn't like being "phony". I think the situation with Tammi forced him to look into himself but he seemed to have a hard time coping with it. The thing with Marvin was he didn't lie about Gordy in this particular incident. "It was all a part of BG's moneymaking scheme..." I think there's truth to that.

With respect to YAINTGB, you can clearly hear Marvin say "Tammi listen" in the background which easier to hear on the stereo mix. On the basis that he never "spoke or sung" to Tammi, using her name, on any of the Easy recordings I think that it is Tammi on YAINTGB.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    With respect to YAINTGB, you can clearly hear Marvin say "Tammi listen" in the background which easier to hear on the stereo mix. On the basis that he never "spoke or sung" to Tammi, using her name, on any of the Easy recordings I think that it is Tammi on YAINTGB.
    No offense, but that is not proof of anything. That could have been put in there to throw the public off.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    It's not really proof of anything. I think that most people were really surprised to learn [[years, if not decades later) that Marvin and Tammi were not in the studio singing Ain't No Mountain High Enough together, much less that it started off as a solo recording done months before Marvin added his vocals.

Has anyone offerred actual proof here so far?
    Although it's been interesting, here's what I've read to this point:

-- Opinion
    -- Conjecture
    -- Speculation
    -- Guesses

As SDF members, what you have to say has my attention.
    As potential members of a jury, I'm already planning my escape.

If the recording of "Good Lovin Ain't Easy To Come By" took place from 27/9/68 to 7/11/68 and was released on 14/1/69 and
    If the Ebony article is correct that at the time of travelling to Motown in Spring 1969 Tammi had not recorded for up to 2 years
    Then how could Tammi have been on "Good Lovin Ain't Easy To Come By"?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I can't tell if you're being serious or just poking fun.
    we agree, so of course i am serious!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    One heartbreaking revelation in the article was that Tammi & David announced their engagement publicly onstage when they were both appearing at the same theater. She only found out after the fact that that he was already married!
    One heartwarming revelation is Tammi's acknowledgement of Berry Gordy's great generosity in taking care of her medical expenses.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFD...page&q&f=false
    Tried to read article but couldn't get it to enlarge on phone! I have no access to a computer because of covid. Anyway the photos were sad to see, especially the one where Tam mi is walking with the man, seems like her whole right side is affected

Quote Originally Posted by TammiTerrellFan View Post
    Tried to read article but couldn't get it to enlarge on phone! I have no access to a computer because of covid. Anyway the photos were sad to see, especially the one where Tam mi is walking with the man, seems like her whole right side is affected
    So you're an obvious TT fan. What are your thoughts on the Easy album? What do you hear, Tammi or Valerie?