[REMOVE ADS]

CD players for audiophiles, not all CD players are created equal

Ok... I just snagged a 1987 made in Belgium Magnavox CDB-560, after using a modern DVD player for the last year to play my CD's. WOW what a difference... the DVD player sound produced muddy sounding bass, less than clear and defined vocals, just crap all the way round. I have read in many forums where many say these old units from the 80's sound the most like vinyl, and I have to agree, your thoughts? And what CD players do you feel are the best of the best, yesterday and today? I've read that the chipset used in this model is what sets it apart, TDA1541 dual 16-bit DAC with digital filter. I'm not the most technical person, but I am bowled over by how good this sounds. Considering how much it orignially cost in 1987, I'd hope it would be good! LOL

Last edited by jillfoster; 03-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.

I couldn't disagree more.

CD players, starting around 1989, had oversampling, which meant a smoother filter as opposed to the brickwall filter that had been previously implemented. The result is a smoother, cleaner, more "analog" sound. Those earlier players were terrible. They sounded cold, edgy, and did not present a wide soundstage. The DAC [[Digital to analog converter) was primitive.

Your DVD or blu-ray player, assuming it is fairly recent, and from a sompany like Pioneer, Sony, or any of the audiophile companies, will give you good redbook performance as well. Add that to the fact that many can upsample the sampling rate, and use 24-bit converters...and can use digital outs.

Frankly, these days, you can get better performance from your computer DVD transport and and your motherboard's audio.

After your CD player, the most important things that affect the CD sound will be your amplifier and your speakers.

In fact, the best sound will come from your computer hard drive, and that will do hi-rez.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-01-2013 at 11:13 PM.

The unit I just got does have 16 bit fourfold oversampling, that was it's main selling point a the time, and reason for it's high price. What I meant, was people are saying these early oversampling machines are considered by some to be superior to what is offered today. I've seen disagreement, too.. but I sure like what I hear from this.

Well, perhaps it does sound good. The main thing is that you're happy with it.