[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Stone Love was a big hit. It most likely stayed on the charts longer, which would have resulted in more copies being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Stone Love was a big hit. It most likely stayed on the charts longer, which would have resulted in more copies being sold.
    I agree that SL was a big hit. I'm not trying to slight SL which I like better than Stop! but I still have a hard time believing that Stop! didn't keep selling through the 60s. I have about 5 different pressings of the 45rpm the last of which I think was released in '68 [[and there surely are more). In addition, Stop! was number 1 for two weeks and I think SL peaked at #7. Just odd, that's all [[meaning that I don't want to start another conspiracy theory).

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I agree that SL was a big hit. I'm not trying to slight SL which I like better than Stop! but I still have a hard time believing that Stop! didn't keep selling through the 60s. I have about 5 different pressings of the 45rpm the last of which I think was released in '68 [[and there surely are more). In addition, Stop! was number 1 for two weeks and I think SL peaked at #7. Just odd, that's all [[meaning that I don't want to start another conspiracy theory).
    Yeah but "Stoned Love" remained on the Pop Charts for 12 weeks. It also reached Number one on the Soul Charts in December 1970.

the More Hits album was a big success, many folks got "Stop" that way..
    New Ways was a tremendous album, but many opted to buy the single and not the album..

LOVE IS AN ITCHING IN MY HEART is my favorite single and i cant believe it didnt sell a million copies.? but it only sold about 700,000 copies, but still a great jam to me

the Andantees and the Waters and other were used i think to do the demos for all the groups. as time went by and all the groups became more successful and i suppose it became easier just to use the backing vocals that were already completed. why spend more money on rerecording the vocals again. i dont think motown would get away with this now and i am not saying it's correct but it did fool me ,at least for a while.i didnt notice any difference until the Supremes FOREVER CAM TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Rob,
    All in all it was really quite simple. Bring in the best talent for the job and get it done.
    Isnt that the way most profitable companies run Ralph? make sense to me.

Have a blessed Sunday.

Fondly,

Roberta

Yes it is, Roberta. Which is why it is called the music business.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    i didnt notice any difference [[in the background vocals) until the Supremes FOREVER CAM TODAY
    that is exactly the same single when i said to myself "that ain't the supremes"! but, i really liked the sound, and thought it work well. to this day it is one of my favorite diana ross & the andantes singles.

Weren't the Andantes on "Up the Ladder to the Roof" alongside Mary and Cindy?

I realize now that all kinds of business decisions were made and timing was critical. I must say I had about a nervous breakdown when I found out the truth on The Supremes Christmas Album though. Oh well.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    They were on quite a few tracks on "Right On" They even got credit on it and the "Floy Joy" lp.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Nope! It was only Mary, Jean and Cindy.

But Marv, for you, the Andantes were on no Supremes records, no songs. So when you answer these other queries, it is hard for you to have credibility; especially not the kind of Ralph and Susaye, George and Andy, Bob Ohlsson. Sorry.

But if is keeps one comfortable, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    They were on quite a few tracks on "Right On" They even got credit on it and the "Floy Joy" lp.
    The Andantes were not credited on the Right On album; and on the Floy Joy
    lp their names are listed alphabetically, interspersed among the names of the musicians. At the time of Floy Joy's release , many people would have been unfamiliar with their names and might not have realized that they even were the Andantes.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nope! It was only Mary, Jean and Cindy.
    When Louvain Demps was interviewed in 2 recent evenings of Nightflight, she claimed that the Andandates are on Up The Ladder To the Roof. Employing the 'ask someone who was there suggestion' that I was offered, I know whose recollection I should believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I figured. The background in "Up the Ladder" sounded like a gospel harmony group. I argued the same type of harmony was used in Diana's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" version and the Andantes were on that too. Besides, that song didn't sound like it was only two other women in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    The Andantes were not credited on the Right On album; and on the Floy Joy
    lp their names are listed alphabetically, interspersed among the names of the musicians. At the time of Floy Joy's release , many people would have been unfamiliar with their names and might not have realized that they even were the Andantes.
    lol I wonder why they were credited by their names rather than by their group name lol