[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Someday We'll Be Together question.

In Randy's book, it was stated that on Nov. 3-1969 Motown released the offical press statement that Diana was leaving the Supremes in 1970

But Berry wanted her out with a number one record. Was it predetermined that "Someday" was going to be an instant hit, because it did not hit the charts until Nov. 8 but it debut at #50 then 32, then #20 and then 11 and upward. If it had died at #20 would Ms. Ross still be let out of the Supremes, at this time a thing she had called a trap by this time since she wanted out so badly, infact she wanted the group off her shoulder in 1967. Mary and Cindy were already rehearsing with Jean months prior to Someday's release. What gives here, i do remember buying the single in November just before Thanksgiving and then the album Cream of the Crop in early December. i knew those girls in the bck did not sound like Mary and Cindy, but nothing was said about, however i really didn't know Cindy's voice either except for the tv shows.

It's my understanding that "Reach Out and Touch" was going to be the last Diana Ross and The Supremes single if "Someday..." failed to do well but, frankly, I can't remember where I heard/learned that...

I thought that "Someday" was supposed to be Diana's 1st solo release ...

Yes, that's the story but I also heard that that "Reach Out..." was going to be the backup once the decision to call "Someday..." a Diana Ross & The Supremes single was made. I wish I could remember where I read that - perhaps someone else on this board did the same...

Amazing how we hear so many different things. Actually, it has been said that "Someday" was suppose to Diana's solo recording and then I heard "These Things" was to be the follow up.

However it was suppose to play out I am glad that "Someday" was the last #1 hit single of the 60's. Perhaps the reality of it was that Diana was busy as a solo and Mary and Cindy were busy with Jean that the announcement was made and then they everyone scrambled because they did not have a swan song prepared.

I read that that Reach Out story was just that--a story that wasnt accurate. I imagine with Someday hitting at 50 it was pretty clear it was going to be a hit.

I'm not sure I believe a lot of these stories anymore either. As the years have gone by, we hear again and again that some of the repeated stories are nothing but bullshit; most recently, something that was long attributed to Gladys Knight being refuted.

I would have picked Someday for a bigger hit than Reach Out and Touch. They were both Diana Ross singles in the end so if Someday was to be her first single, it would not have been a surprise. But then, as it's turned out, Stop in the Name of Love, the released 45, was a Diana Ross single too.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'm not sure I believe a lot of these stories anymore either. As the years have gone by, we hear again and again that some of the repeated stories are nothing but bullshit; most recently, something that was long attributed to Gladys Knight being refuted.

I would have picked Someday for a bigger hit than Reach Out and Touch. They were both Diana Ross singles in the end so if Someday was to be her first single, it would not have been a surprise. But then, as it's turned out, Stop in the Name of Love, the released 45, was a Diana Ross single too.
    "Reprise": "Stop in the name of Love" was not a Diana Ross record it was a Supremes record both the promo and commercial release ask one of the Andantes, Flo's voice Mary and one Andante are clearly heard in the background of the commercial release, therefore it is not a Diana Ross record in that case "Ain't No Mountain High" is not a Diana Ross record exclusively because the bacground is filled with singers so loud that practically drown out Diana in the chorus. No one seems to have an answer as to what if Someday had failed or dropped at #20 would that have been good enough to send Ross out of the Supremes??? According to the book by Randy Ross was not feeling secure about leaving the Supremes until "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" went to #1 but no decent follow up kept the momentum going, although I love that single and "Remember Me" was right on but it died at #16, where was the promo for that..
    Last edited by franjoy56; 03-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    "Reprise": "Stop in the name of Love" was not a Diana Ross record it was a Supremes record both the promo and commercial release ask one of the Andantes, Flo's voice Mary and one Andante are clearly heard in the background of the commercial release, therefore it is not a Diana Ross record in that case "Ain't No Mountain High" is not a Diana Ross record exclusively because the bacground is filled with singers so loud that practically drown out Diana in the chorus. No one seems to have an answer as to what if Someday had failed or dropped at #20 would that have been good enough to send Ross out of the Supremes??? According to the book by Randy Ross was not feeling secure about leaving the Supremes until "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" went to #1 but no decent follow up kept the momentum going, although I love that single and "Remember Me" was right on but it died at #16, where was the promo for that..
    He is winding you up! Baiting you. He knows darn well that "Stop In the Name of Love" is by the Supremes and is not a Diana Ross record. She knows it too.....

Had "Someday We'll Be Together" peaked at say #20, I do believe Berry Gordy would have pulled Diane out of the group at that point.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation, Marv thanks I know you are the expert on matters like this, yea I know Jobete like to consistently throw in that sitnol story time after time, even when one of the andantes said that she hears Flo in the mix so what does that say, Mary must be there too, and whoever the alto Andante is is it Jackie HIcks, I think Louvain Demps was the soprano.

#20, certainly would have been better than their laslt two singles : Some things you never get used to #30, and No Matter What Sign You are #31 not to mention the "The Weight" with the Tempts which did worse but a good record no less.

This again? Have you actually heard the program in question? She said she heard Flo. Yes. The question is what version was played. I remember, and I could be wrong, but the version that was played sounded like the one on the #1's CD. I don't think that was the released version. I will have to wait till it is rebroadcast. I'm not saying for certain who is on any of these versions cause I wasn't there. What I don't understand is the mental block some seem to have when it comes to understanding that there are a couple of versions of this song.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 03-02-2013 at 12:30 AM.

I really like the way DMC sound at their Farewell show singing it together esp. when ms Ross says come on Mary and Cindy lets sing it like we feel it.

Yes this agin. Stop in the name of Love features Flo ballard in every mix there is plain and simple and if Flo is their Mary is too.

this is a Someday we'll Be Together thread not "Stop in the name of Love"

I really like the way DMC sound at their Farewell show singing it together esp. when ms Ross says come on Mary and Cindy lets sing it like we feel it.
    I liked that too. It was a important moment in music history. They were crying and singing their hearts out all that the same time in room filled with the biggest names in show business at the time. Amazing!

Yes this agin. Stop in the name of Love features Flo ballard in every mix there is plain and simple and if Flo is their Mary is too.
    Florence, Mary and Diane are all over that record. They not only recorded it, but the SOLD IT! Their stage movements to that song have become iconic and nothing any poster on this or any other board can change what those girls put down because it is now history and solid as a rock!

skooldem1 the version of "Stop! In the Name of Love" on the #1's is the same version as the single release version except the background vocals are mixed up louder and there is no fade. I'm sure it's all five of them doing the backgrounds as I can hear Flo myself and I also can hear the Andantes.

Regarding "Someday We'll Be Together" I always thought it was "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" to be released as the final single in case the previous failed to chart?

The Andantes got the released version of the 45 of Stop in the Name of Love. Andy and George said so in the 50th Anniversary Singles Collection. They were going to say more on the I Hear A Symphony collection but they knew feelings had been hurt.

Look, the Supremes sang the song with Diane all over the country for years; but they don't sing on the single.

But believe that if you sleep better. I don't.

But, jeez, I agree with Marv; Diane was gone in 1967 and if Someday failed, she wouldn't have been back.

If you had been in charge at Motown, wouldn't you have picked Diana Ross and the Supremes' "Someday We'll Be Together" as their final single together because it's such an appropriate title? Compare "We've Come Too Far to End It Now" at the end of Smokey Robinson & the Miracles' career together.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    If you had been in charge at Motown, wouldn't you have picked Diana Ross and the Supremes' "Someday We'll Be Together" as their final single together because it's such an appropriate title? Compare "We've Come Too Far to End It Now" at the end of Smokey Robinson & the Miracles' career together.
    exactly!!! motown announces the exit of diana ross, puts out a very good single "someday we'll be together" ... the charts moved slower then, but there was no way that the supremes were going to go out with anything less than a #1 with this title!

What's interesting is Diana's version of "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" was originally assigned to the Supremes. With "Someday We'll Be Together" climbing the charts Johnny Bristol probably assumed the Supremes' first single without Diana should sound like their last single with Diana. It was eventually reassigned to Diana with the same mindset that her first solo single should have the same feeling "Someday We'll Be Together" had.

Given the presence of Johnny Bristol on "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" is it possible that some of this song was recorded during the same sessions as "Someday We'll Be Together?"
    Are the background voices those of the Supremes, Andantes or Waters?

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Given the presence of Johnny Bristol on "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" is it possible that some of this song was recorded during the same sessions as "Someday We'll Be Together?"
    Are the background voices those of the Supremes, Andantes or Waters?
    Now that is a great question!

If the Supreme's are not on "Someday we'll be together" you can eliminate them.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    If the Supreme's are not on "Someday we'll be together" you can eliminate them.
    Not so fast........according to comments about the record made by Johnny Bristol and Cindy Birdsong. Briefly, Johnny said his intentions were to use Mary and Cindy. Cindy said the only reason she nor Mary are on that track is because they were heading out of town for a gig the day before the background vocals were scheduled to be recorded.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Those background vocals sound NOTHING like Mary and Cindy.

Those background vocals sound NOTHING like Mary and Cindy.
    I take it you are referring to "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"? I have to take a listen to that song again as I have not heard it in many years. "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" always sounded like the Supremes or at least Mary on back up.

Mary and Cindy are not on Reach Out.

Here it is. It definitely does not sound like the women singing on Someday We'll Be Together. The one voice sounds like Cindy Birdsong to me.........

Mary and Cindy are not on Reach Out.
    How do you know? They also sound like they were on the Four Tops "Still Waters [[LOVE)".

I mean we have learn in subsequent years that Motown used just about any and everyone on background vocals at some point, so the Supremes could very well be on a few of Diana Ross' early "solo" recordings.

You are upset because Mary and Cindy and even Flo are not on some records so you are trying to muddy the waters by claiming they are on Diana's solo records. It is so silly.

You are upset because Mary and Cindy and even Flo are not on some records so you are trying to muddy the waters by claiming they are on Diana's solo records. It is so silly.
    Well skooldem1, I have some news for you: In Mary's book on page 275 she lists "Recorded "These Things wil keep me loving U" [[on Diana's first solo LP) and she also mentions two additional Right On Tracks I always assumed were the Andantes, "Take A Closer Look at Me" and a song I always thought I heard Mary on "I Got Hurt Trying to be the only Girl" so perhaps the Andantes share the credit with the Supremes, don't count out the Supremes so fast sir.

And yes the #1's sound like the released version and Flo is on that mix if no one else is.

Perhaps they are on "These things", I wasn't there. "Reach Out"..No way. In the end it doesn't matter, It is just background vocals. Like someone said, any and everyone would sing the background vocals at Motown. With that said this is a big #FAIL. It is clear what the purpose of all of this is.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    One of the best "farewell" songs was Gladys Knight & the Pips' , "Neither One of Us" released as they were departing Motown.

Fran Fran Fran. Ok, Flo is on Stop. Hope you can sleep better as this seems to be a really big thing in your life.

I am upset? HA! I am sitting here eating cheese popcorn and relaxing, enjoying myself. I am not upset over anything LOL! Mary and Cindy could easy been on recordings done between 1969-71 if they were available. We now know that Motown would slap any name they wanted to on the label. So why couldn't they call a recording with Mary and Cindy on it a "Diana Ross" record?

Well skooldem1, I have some news for you: In Mary's book on page 275 she lists "Recorded "These Things wil keep me loving U" [[on Diana's first solo LP) and she also mentions two additional Right On Tracks I always assumed were the Andantes, "Take A Closer Look at Me" and a song I always thought I heard Mary on "I Got Hurt Trying to be the only Girl" so perhaps the Andantes share the credit with the Supremes, don't count out the Supremes so fast sir.

And yes the #1's sound like the released version and Flo is on that mix if no one else is.
    Very good points Fran. After all , the Supremes were used early on as back ups for Marvin Gaye, Mabel Johns, Mary Wells and others. Johnny Bristol produced "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" and said his intent was to use Mary and Cindy on "Someday". Mary Wilson was in the recording studio so I would say she would know better than I or anyone else that were not there......

I always sleep well, Stop in the name of Love" was not a part of this thread a certain someone threw it in, and since I am a Florence Ballard fan, it is my duty to defend her artistry, as I am sure Mary Wilson has in the past, and as I said if Flo is on that record so is Mary.

I always sleep well, Stop in the name of Love" was not a part of this thread a certain someone threw it in, and since I am a Florence Ballard fan, it is my duty to defend her artistry, as I am sure Mary Wilson has in the past, and as I said if Flo is on that record so is Mary.
    They said for years that Florence Ballard was not on "My World Is Empty Without You" and instead it was Marlene Barrows of the Andantes. Then a few years ago it was proven that it was Florence along with Mary Wilson and Diana Ross alone on that recording! People had took the original misinformation and ran with it all over the place including you tube!

[QUOTE=franjoy56;150759]Well skooldem1, I have some news for you: In Mary's book on page 275 she lists "Recorded "These Things wil keep me loving U" [[on Diana's first solo LP)

__________________________________________________ __________________

Mary notation is not the final and full story. The session logs prove that conclusively!

"These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" Track recorded November 5, 1969, assigned to the Supremes; demo vocal recorded November 8; reassigned to Diana Ross, additional instrumentation and BACKGROUND VOCALS recorded January 5, 1970, lead vocal recording date unknown.

Fran,
    Mary's itinerary at the end of Dreamgirl presents a few problems. Mary lists many, many titles of songs that were assigned to the Supremes for which Supremes [[Mary & Flo/Mary & Cindy and at times even Diana) did not record vocals. Some in the know have said that Mary contacted a Motown insider when writing her book asking that person for the title of songs in the vault in order to expand her itinerary pages. That person didn't realize that 'assigned to' didn't always mean 'recorded by'. The date that Mary lists is the date that the basic instrumental track [[not the vocals) was recorded. And it is the very last entry of mention of any song recorded by Diana Ross that might include Mary & Cindy on background. All other titles listed by Mary are recorded with Jean Terrell on lead.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-02-2013 at 05:58 PM.

I never took Mary's timeline in her book seriously. A few errors that stand out to me are it lists the Supremes performing "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" on the Ed Sullivan Show in January of 1967...never happened. Then she lists them performing "Some Things You Never Get Used To" on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1968...again never happened.

[QUOTE=carole cucumber;150772]
    Well skooldem1, I have some news for you: In Mary's book on page 275 she lists "Recorded "These Things wil keep me loving U" [[on Diana's first solo LP)

__________________________________________________ __________________

Mary notation is not the final and full story. The session logs prove that conclusively!

Carol, I will take Mary Wilson's word over yours or anyone else's that was not there! Were you even born by 1969?

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I never took Mary's timeline in her book seriously. A few errors that stand out to me are it lists the Supremes performing "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" on the Ed Sullivan Show in January of 1967...never happened. Then she lists them performing "Some Things You Never Get Used To" on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1968...again never happened.
    Are you sure? can you provide proof they did not perform those songs on the Ed Sullivan Show?

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I take it you are referring to "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"? I have to take a listen to that song again as I have not heard it in many years. "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" always sounded like the Supremes or at least Mary on back up.
    Whoever is on backing on 'These Things' I thought from the first time I heard it that it wasn't a run of the mill filler track. I do think they had some plans for it. I do agree, I hear Mary on Still Waters by the Four Tops

I just looked at the Wikipedia entry for Diana Ross [[1970 album). It lists Maxine & Julia Waters for background vocals on "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You." Upon listening to the song again, that doesn't appear likely.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I just looked at the Wikipedia entry for Diana Ross [[1970 album). It lists Maxine & Julia Waters for background vocals on "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You." Upon listening to the song again, that doesn't appear likely.
    I agree, it doesn't sound like the Waters Sisters at all to me. Those voices are different than those on "Someday We'll Be Together". That is part of problem with Wikipedia. Anyone can put information up on it no matter how erroneous.

[QUOTE=marv2;150782]
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post

Carol, I will take Mary Wilson's word over yours or anyone else's that was not there! Were you even born by 1969?
    When I or anyone was born has no bearing on this issue.

The evidence I quote is from a rock solid foundation!. The concrete evidence [[still available to the present day) written in the Hitsville Session Logbooks and on the Motown Library Tape Filing Cards entrusted to and cared for so meticulously by Fran Heard & her staff is what and whom I'm relying upon.
    Do you want to call Mrs Heard a liar?