[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops later Motown lps

i know Still Water often comes up on the boards in discussions, but wanted to chat a bit about the other "post HDH" Four Tops lps. Recently got the Tops' dvd with their performances. overall pretty good and they do cover a wide range of their singles. but too bad most performances are lipsynced.

anyway, started looking through their discography. I love the Still Waters lp, one of my favs by any group. but what are peoples thoughts on the others?

Noticed that MacArthur Park is just a re-issue of Four Tops Now

Were there any singles released from Soul Spin? can't seem to find

really liked Don't Let Him Take Your Love From Me on the dvd, wasn't familiar with this track. frankly might have been too "HDH and motown-y" sounding for late 69. maybe came across a bit dated but in hindsight, a fun one

How do people compare Changing Times and Nature Planned it to Still Water? are all 3 lps under Frank Wilson's production?

Changing Times is certainly an interesting album - not sure that for me there are really stand out tracks but overall worth a listen. Nature Planned It contains more high points I feel. Four Tops Now I was not that impressed with years ago - but many of the tracks have grown on me a great deal since - Do What You Gotta Do is one of my all time fave Tops numbers. Wish they'd release this album on CD as it was missed out of the 2fers.

My favorite album the Four Tops did for Motown in later years was "Magic" from 1985! The single "Sexy Ways" received huge amounts of airplay in Detroit and it reached number 21.

"Still Waters", "Changing Times", and "Nature Planned It"...all with Frank Wilson's magnificent influence, are 3 of my favorite albums.

Although I may be biased, I have to agree with Johnny - those albums are awesome. I really like the orchestrations and arrangements in Changing Times and Still Waters. Lawrence Payton's soft treatment of "Try To Remember" on Changing Times is beautiful, and the drumming is some of the most interesting across the whole album that I've heard on almost any other Motown album. Nature Planned It...that album is just a monster, every track is great.

Glad to see Nature Planned It getting its just rewards here Very, very underated album. Much loved by these ears..Paulo XXXX