[REMOVE ADS]

An All-White “The Wiz” Cast Causes Uproar

Cicero-North Syracuse High School in Cicero, New York, is preparing a theatrical performance of “The Wiz.” Students have been practicing for weeks, belting tunes performed by Diana Ross and Michael Jackson down the Yellow Brick Down. But none of the featured cast in a beloved black American classic is black. Parents are outraged and the Cicero community is in uproar.

Kierrah Titus was one of seven African-American students that auditioned for the musical, which The Guide to Musical Theater refers to as “a black version of the perennial Wizard of Oz.” Titus was the only one of those seven students chosen and she was relegated to the ensemble dance troupe.

Titus’ mother, Letrice Titus, is one of the parents lodging a complaint against the school. She questions why no black students were selected for leading roles. “Are there no talented African-American students at C-NS?” L. Titus asked a reporter at the Post-Standard. “Was there any outreach to the African-American students in the school? Why didn’t the school just do The Wizard of Oz?”

Those are questions she posed to the musical director, Caryn Patterson, and other school officials in January. Titus requested a recasting of a play, with specific focus given to diversifying the cast. She alleges that the school dismissed her concerns.

I can remember the moment a high school dismissed mine as well. In one of the most diverse schools in a predominantly white school district, my first high school also cast a completely white cast in “The Wiz.” Many students were outraged, especially when so many of us auditioned and were gifted standing ovations. Like the Titus’, our angered response was considered “poor sportsmanship” and we were chided for our behavior,

This is a blatant disregard for the black American experience and what “The Wiz” signifies for our community. We have few books, plays and movies that holistically represent elements of the black American experience. Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, and the other cast members in the film and on the stage captured “The Wizard of Oz” and made it relevant to us.

But Titus isn’t taking the slight without a ruckus. She will raise her questions at the North Syracuse Central School District Board of Education with support from the local chapter of the NAACP and other parents.

Preston Fagan, Cicero’s NAACP chapter president, thinks this is an important issue to address.

“To not let a black student have an acting role in this play is appalling,” Fagan told the Post-Standard. “It’s almost an insult.”

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/...causes-uproar/

African American students at C-NS to boycott 'The Wiz'

North Syracuse, NY -- A Cicero-North Syracuse parent angry over the high school's performance of "The Wiz" told the North Syracuse school board that African American students and families would boycott the musical.

Nine African American students sat behind Letrice Titus as she addressed the North Syracuse Central School District Board of Education Monday night. Titus is angry that there are no African American students in the school's performance of "The Wiz," a historically African American play.

"It sends the message that there are no talented African American students and that message is a lie," Titus said.

Preston Fagan, the president of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, also spoke at the meeting. Fagan requested that the district set up a community dialogue to discuss the situation.

"Let's have some honest discussions on this sensitive issue," Fagan said. "Whether we agree or disagree, communication is key."

Olliec Crenshaw, a 2011 C-NS graduate, said he wanted to encourage African American students to get involved and support musicals.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ents_at_c.html

This is stupid. Unless African American students were banned from participating or trying out for the play, I don't see where there is an issue. If there were indeed qualified African American students auditioning and were passed on for reasons other than they were not good for a certain part, then we have a problem.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.

And I'm curious to know what exactly would happen if the "whites" caused an "uproar" now that Quvenzhané Wallis is playing the title role in the reboot of "Annie"?

This bruhaha sounds like a storm in a tea cup to me. "The Wiz," is a wonderful African American take of Frank Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz." Now a group of white kids are paying homage to the remake.

As a Canadian, I seem to remember hearing that African Americans making up about 35% or even more of the U.S. population. Surely there must be enough students in that high school of that ethnic group to cast in key roles. Perhaps the drama teacher wanted to make a statement of some kind. We need more facts in this case.

However, I must say, that I a recently saw a produciton of "The Boys In The Band," a play set in the mid 60's about gay men. A Black woman was cast in the role of flamboyant Black Gay hairdresser, but playing the part as a male! Talk about "poetic license." But it was fun, and the audience seemed to go along with it.

Since this thread involves the issue of race, maybe some readers could advise me. I feel strange saying "African Canadian, as many Canadians of color may have had roots in Jamaica. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 02-28-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    This bruhaha sounds like a storm in a tea cup to me. "The Wiz," is wonderful African American take of Frank Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz." Now a group of white kids are paying homage to the remake.

As a Canadian, I know that with African Americans making up about 35% or even more of the U.S. population, surely there must be enough students in that high school of that ethnic group to cast in key roles. Perhaps the drama teacher wanted to make a statement of some kind. We need more facts in this case.

However, I must say, that a recently saw a produciton of "The Boys In The Band," a play set in the mid 60's about gay men. A Black woman was cast in the role of flamboyant Black Gay hairdresser, but playing the part as a male! Talk about "poetic license." But it was fun, and the audience seemed to go along with it.

Since this thread involves the issue of race, maybe some readers could advise me. I feel strange saying "African Canadian, as many Canadians of color may have had roots in Jamaica. Any thoughts?
    Mark, there are many African-Canadians. Yes some have roots in Jamaica, but many also have roots in America as descendants of freed slaves or those that escaped to Canada. I watched an amazingling interesting documentary on "Africville" and most recently "The Home for Colored Children" in Nova Scotia. The first one was done by the CBC, the other on Global TV. Both excellent

As a Canadian, I know that with African Americans making up about 35% or even more of the U.S. population, surely there must be enough students in that high school of that ethnic group to cast in key roles. Perhaps the drama teacher wanted to make a statement of some kind. We need more facts in this case.
    According to the 2010 Census, African Americans make up about 12 to 14% of the US population. Of course, the population is not spread out evenly - some high schools have nearly all African Americans, some have very few or none. But I agree with you that more facts are needed before drawing any conclusion.
    Last edited by calvin; 02-28-2013 at 02:55 PM.

God, struggling here because I agree with Marv.

The successful book, The Book of Negroes, [[with some different name in other jurisdictions), an awesome book, is about the slaves that made it to Nova Scotia.

The predecessor to it all.......The Wizard of Oz, was it all white?

Can't people just put on a play without a bunch of controversy?

It is amazing to me, given the critical disaster that the Wiz was in 1978, and how boring I found it [[kind of like Dreamgirls), the impact the movie and play continue to have for such a long period of time.

Ok, I just looked up the demographics of Cicero, New York - it is 96.3% white European, 1.2% African American. If the school's demographics are similar to the town overall, the fact that the cast is nearly all white should hardly be a surprise. I also agree with Marv - as long as the parts were given to the best performers, I don't see a problem here.
    Last edited by calvin; 02-28-2013 at 03:06 PM.

whites do not have exclusive rights to "Annie" and people of color do not have an exclusive right to "The Wiz".."PC" can get to be a bit too much when taken to ext
    remes..as a long time Marvel Comics fan, I don't remember any of us boycotting when Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD, suddenly turned black[[as portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson in the Marvel films), and the 1960's white Spider Man villain Electro will be portrayed by Jamie Foxx in the next film, no one is screaming.. If they want to do an all white "The Wiz",more power to them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    whites do not have exclusive rights to "Annie" and people of color do not have an exclusive right to "The Wiz".."PC" can get to be a bit too much when taken to ext
    remes..as a long time Marvel Comics fan, I don't remember any of us boycotting when Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD, suddenly turned black[[as portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson in the Marvel films), and the 1960's white Spider Man villain Electro will be portrayed by Jamie Foxx in the next film, no one is screaming.. If they want to do an all white "The Wiz",more power to them!
    You are missing the point. They, the school is not wanting to purposely do an "all white" The Wiz. They are putting on a play with students that won the auditions and they just happen to be white. Unless information comes forward that proves that they excluded black students because they were black then this is a non story in my opinion.

I am not taking a side on this issue yet, but just wanted to point out the 2000 demographics of Cicero, N.Y.: 96.31% White, 1.19% African American. That should tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Ok, I just looked up the demographics of Cicero, New York - it is 96.3% white European, 1.2% African American. If the school's demographics are similar to the town overall, the fact that the cast is nearly all white should hardly be a surprise. I also agree with Marv - as long as the parts were given to the best performers, I don't see a problem here.
    Exactly!

smark21 Guest
    I’d be curious to know if the parents who are complaining about the casting are aware of the overall lineage of The Wiz/The Wizard of Oz.

It is called making a mountain out of a mole hill. There are more important issues and injustices to fight. I think I read that they said they couldn't understand why they just didn't do "The Wizard of Oz" or "Wicked".

Can't wait for the all white version of "The Color Purple".

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It is called making a mountain out of a mole hill. There are more important issues and injustices to fight. I think I read that they said they couldn't understand why they just didn't do "The Wizard of Oz" or "Wicked".
    But "The Wizard of Oz" is so "white bread". "The Whiz" was cooler. It had a certain hipness.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I’d be curious to know if the parents who are complaining about the casting are aware of the overall lineage of The Wiz/The Wizard of Oz.
    That is an insult to those parents. To suggest they don't know that "The Wiz" is the black version of the "Wizard of Oz". The Wiz was purposely made. It was about the black experience. It was made not only because of the lack of diversity in the Judy Garland version, but the overall lack of diversity in Hollywood. This is not about whether the movie was good or not. That's a different topic. I think the biggest problem that people like these parents have is that they feel this is just another case of white people claiming something birthed out of black culture. Which is ironic considering this is the black version of a white movie.

Calvin,
    Many thanks for provinding a correct and current population % break down of African Americans. As many Americans may not be that aware of Canadian history, geography and facts, I must admit to being less than up to speed on American facts myself.

However, in light of "free trade" between our countries, and other iniciatives, the day may come in the future when our borders will become much more blurred.

However, in light of "free trade" between our countries, and other iniciatives, the day may come in the future when our borders will become much more blurred.[/QUOTE]

Um, Mark: "They will NOT" LOL.

Calvin,
    Many thanks for provinding a correct and current population % break down of African Americans. As many Americans may not be that aware of Canadian history, geography and facts, I must admit to being less than up to speed on American facts myself.

However, in light of "free trade" between our countries, and other iniciatives, the day may come in the future when our borders will become much more blurred.
    Mark, since I grew up basically near the U.S. - Canadian border, it's been blurred for me most of my life. We went back and forth across the border with ease up until recently as 2009. We received Canadian Broadcast television way back in the sixties long before cable etc. Also some radio stations. I may know more about Canadian history and culture than say the average American [[and there is a very distinct difference than that of the U.S.) I don't think the border will ever be completely blurred. I, personally in a way, would not like to see that happen.

Of ALL the things to get upset about!

Let them do "The Wiz" if they want to for christ's sakes. They surely wasn't blowing a fuse about a black girl doing "Annie" why should we be upset?

Bigger fish to fry smh

There were people upset at the Black remake of Steel Magnolias.

Calvin,

They already are! There are places along the U.S./Canadian border where one can just walk across unchecked. At least there was a few years ago when CNN went there with a reporter. And, Canada is a "White" country, so you're deemed as OK, while some fools want a fence between us and Mexico.

No worries Mark. I just thought at that point that we shouldn't assume that this high school has such a high percentage of African Americans.

I grew up near Detroit, so close to the Canadian border. We visited Canada many times but only places in Ontario [[unfortunately). We didn't need a passport back then - I think that has changed since? And like Marv we often watched the CBC out of Windsor - I remember it was channel 9. So I guess I know more than the average American or European about Canada but in fact I still don't know very much at all. I certainly couldn't say anything about Canada's demographics [[except that it's mostly white) without looking it up first.

Seeing that the percentage of Black students in this school is probably something like 1% or less, this is a non-issue. But, being a part of such a small minority can make one hyper-sensitive about his/her status, and may be more of a target of discrimination.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-01-2013 at 10:25 AM.

I coached high school basketball for a few years.
    Cutting kids was the hardest thing about it.
    Sometimes the principal would even get involved.
    Parents would call him. The cuts were made on ability,
    not their race.
    Hopefully the best kids got the best roles.

also in 1981 one of my freshman girls got the lead female role in the school musical.
    She beat out my step-daughter and all her ?talented friends.
    30 years later my late wife and I saw her as an adult in a community
    theater presentation.
    My wife said that she was broadway quality.
    nuff said

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 03-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Hell,i boycott the wiz every time it's on tv!!

I watch a few minutes to remember; I think I find it less boring now because I know the music and the music is good. Every time I notice how dark it is filmed..........like it was filmed in a dungeon. The actors do a good job; it's just that the storyline is a dud. This is how I found Dreamgirls too..........just very boring.

Agreed. Everyone involved is trying so very hard but, because it's so darkly lit, I'm left feeling a sense of detachment throughout.

The music saves it from being a total [[and very expensive) disaster.

The rest is all far too smart-ass, with no charm at all.

The Wiz, that Wozn't....

Since my last post, schooldem1 responded [[but has since deleted it), commenting that this thread is about the stage show, not the movie.

Although I imagine that far more people will know 'The Wiz' from seeing the movie than ever saw the stage show, skooldem1 made a fair point.

For those like myself who have never seen the stage show, what was it about the original stage production which led to it being received more positively than the movie?

I deleted it because people were gonna talk about what they wanted to talk about. That being "what they don't like about the movie". I didn't want to be a thread monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Since my last post, schooldem1 responded [[but has since deleted it), commenting that this thread is about the stage show, not the movie.

Although I imagine that far more people will know 'The Wiz' from seeing the movie than ever saw the stage show, skooldem1 made a fair point.

For those like myself who have never seen the stage show, what was it about the original stage production which led to it being received more positively than the movie?
    I saw the stage show and the movie back in the 70's . For me it was Stephanie Mills, the music, the deadpan delivery of jokes by the Lion and the general overall upbeat pace of the stage show. Stephanie knocked us out.

That does sound like a feelgood experience!

No worries Mark. I just thought at that point that we shouldn't assume that this high school has such a high percentage of African Americans.

I grew up near Detroit, so close to the Canadian border. We visited Canada many times but only places in Ontario [[unfortunately). We didn't need a passport back then - I think that has changed since? And like Marv we often watched the CBC out of Windsor - I remember it was channel 9. So I guess I know more than the average American or European about Canada but in fact I still don't know very much at all. I certainly couldn't say anything about Canada's demographics [[except that it's mostly white) without looking it up first.
    Calvin, beginning in 2009 they began requiring that you have a passport to cross the border into Canada and vice-versa. That law was courtesy of the George W. Bush Administration, ugh!

Now you cannot even go from Detroit to Windsor without one. I had to have one when I drove from New York to Quebec. I have gone through both of those border crossings for years and years with only my drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Calvin, beginning in 2009 they began requiring that you have a passport to cross the border into Canada and vice-versa. That law was courtesy of the George W. Bush Administration, ugh!

Now you cannot even go from Detroit to Windsor without one. I had to have one when I drove from New York to Quebec. I have gone through both of those border crossings for years and years with only my drivers license.
    Marv, I remember crossing that border - usually the Ambassador Bridge but sometimes the tunnel from Detroit to Windsor - with my parents when I was a kid. Back then, I didn't have any ID on me at all. Usually they'd just wave us through on both sides, sometimes the Canadians would ask what our plans were and how long we intended to stay, once on our way back I remember the US border agents asked my father to pull over and open the trunk of our car. That was all. But times have changed.

I deleted it because people were gonna talk about what they wanted to talk about. That being "what they don't like about the movie". I didn't want to be a thread monitor.
    But, it's your thread.

Marv, I remember crossing that border - usually the Ambassador Bridge but sometimes the tunnel from Detroit to Windsor - with my parents when I was a kid. Back then, I didn't have any ID on me at all. Usually they'd just wave us through on both sides, sometimes the Canadians would ask what our plans were and how long we intended to stay, once on our way back I remember the US border agents asked my father to pull over and open the trunk of our car. That was all. But times have changed.
    Calvin, I can truly relate. On my last trip to Toronto with my father in 1994, we went over the bridge, but came back through the tunnel. We had never, ever been stopped before in all the years until that particular trip. They made me open the trunk so it can be searched. Why? They were looking for people that were smuggling Jamaicans into the country! LOL! We couldn't believe it. We laughed so hard after that because the customs officer was totally serious about it"!

This bruhaha sounds like a storm in a tea cup to me. "The Wiz," is a wonderful African American take of Frank Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz." Now a group of white kids are paying homage to the remake.

As a Canadian, I seem to remember hearing that African Americans making up about 35% or even more of the U.S. population. Surely there must be enough students in that high school of that ethnic group to cast in key roles. Perhaps the drama teacher wanted to make a statement of some kind. We need more facts in this case.
    No, African Americans only make up 12-13% of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    And I'm curious to know what exactly would happen if the "whites" caused an "uproar" now that Quvenzhané Wallis is playing the title role in the reboot of "Annie"?
    U can't compare high school and hollywood.

My thing is as long as blacks weren't excluded because of race then have at it. If white Americans can do their thing with the Wiz why not let them.

Quote Originally Posted by summer96 View Post
    My thing is as long as blacks weren't excluded because of race then have at it. If white Americans can do their thing with the Wiz why not let them.
    The only thing is that you cam't prove racial bias in this case. But, as it goes, the school is mostly White, so, no issue.

Can't wait for the all white version of "The Color Purple".
    Sorry Skooldem, but that controversy surfaced when the movie made its debut because Steven Spielberg was the white director of a black story. Hopefully this ripple will die a swift death as we move forward.

I was talking about a white cast for the Broadway version of "The color purple".