[REMOVE ADS]

Wasn't Shirley magnificent??????????

I was so thrilled to see Dame Shirley on the Oscars tonight and I thought it was one of the highlights of the entire show. To still look like that, and have that voice and stage presence at 76 years old was amazing.

Nice also to see Barbra Streisand but for me Shirley was the star of the evening.

As for the movie that won [[Argo), where did THAT come from?

She sure was!!! So glad she was there, she was the main reason I watched!

Totally forgot to watch. Getting old. Saw no movies. Still managed to buy some Universal Deluxe Edition CDs. And download a few digital CDs.

She was amazing. She looked and sounded great.
    For anyone who missed it, here is a link
    http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/02/24/W...spt=fsb&or=ros

She was fantastic. Does she still tour? Her voice is sure stronger than Barbra's. For first time ever Adele bored me. Pretty weak song she sang.

Luke,
    I agree with you. I don't think "Skyfall" allows Adele to demonstrate what a very good singer she is.

What impressed me with the female singers was the old school presentation. No stupid jumping, prancing dancers around them Simply standing in front of the audience in their gowns, singing their songs. I had to mention to Jesse how cool I thought that was.

I was greatly anticipating Shirley Bassey's appearance but it left me cold. It felt more like an impersonation, I thought. Her voice still has force to it but the force now sounds somewhat forced. Adding to things was the seemingly all-out defiance of the aging process. To the point of seeming unrecognizable to me. Things change, and that's to be expected and accepted. Even gold isn't what it once was. But what has always struck me about Shirley is the directness and simplicity of her approach and voice, which I've always enjoyed. I just didn't see or hear much of that during the Oscars performance. All performers with longevity have a very tough road to travel, with fine lines to continually walk. In fact, everyone does. And no matter what one does, others will either approve or disapprove. So, the course becomes an easy one--choose the course that you want for yourself. If it's a personal decision that has meaning and worth for you, then whatever anyone else thinks about it has no meaning, no relevance.

I thought Striesand lost a little also. Her voice sounded a little thinner and not quite as strong. Still, she sounded very good and it was a rare treat to see her perform.

I agree with you, Ralph. Streisand's voice has changed but she performed well. She changed the last line of the song to "the way YOU were"--seemingly singing directly to Hamlisch. I thought it was a wonderful touch. Unexpected, loving. A small surprise but a nice one.

Goldfinger...Best Bond theme of all time. I love that recording. I think Shirley busted a lung on that one.

The music was the highlight of the entire show for me.

It was wonderful to see Shirley Bassey. I agree Barbra Striesand seemed to sing in a lower register and I think I heard a growl or two when she sang, but she was still spectacular.

Jennifer Hudson was superb!! She gave me goosebumps. There is no end to her talent.

I'm with you, Ralph, "Skyfall" doesn't begin to show Adele's talent. She's a much better singer than that mediocure song. She's written better songs as well. Having said that, I know the song had to fit the movie and not the other way around.

Some of last night's musical performances were better than what I saw on the Grammy's.

~~Mary~~

Methusala, I'm with you. It sounded like a blend of Shirley and Ethel Merman to me. A bit too bombastic.

Also, I'm not an Adele fan, and that performance and song sure didn't win me over.

And Jennifer Hudson seamed to be trying to show everyone how much and loud she could holler.

Didnt Shirley sound just like the record? Thats her style isnt it? I thought Jennifer was tremendous. She has the power and should use it. IMO. Totally agree Ralph. My complaint with the grammys was most of em should just stand there and sing. I saw Dreamgirls the other night and watched Beyonce just standing there and singing the song Listen and she was excellent--why she has to almost always jump around in minimal clothing-as attractive as she is- is beyond me. She has talent!

I'm just sayin', Luke.....

She had to sing that song decked out in solid gold , and she didn't disappoint.

Am I the only one who believes that Barbra Streisand was lip syncing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Am I the only one who believes that Barbra Streisand was lip syncing?
    I guess after the Beyonce Inauguration revelation, we all tend to doubt every performance. I don't think she was lip syncing but I don't know for sure. I do know for sure that all the singers performing at the Oscar ceremony –including Dame Shirley Bassey and Barbra Streisand -- had pre-recorded their songs as a safety net just in case there were technical problems.

Beyonce did the same for the inauguration and then wound up lip syncing to it. I hope Barbra did not go the same route.

I don't believe Barbra was lip syncing. I was surprised at how weak her voice sounded.

She was most definetly not lip syncing.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because I'm in the company of better minds about such things, but I raised an eyebrow before the first line was sung and wasn't convinced even by the end.

Her voice was weak and raspy in some spots. But her tone overall was lovely and her phrasing as always was great. What parts of the song make you believe she lip synced?
    Last edited by skooldem1; 02-26-2013 at 11:40 AM.

I agree with Ralph. Im pretty sure I heard her breathe and she seemed to have some genuine emotion per Marvin.