[REMOVE ADS]

The Dixie Belles

I always wondered who the Dixie Belles were on "Down at Papa Joes", as there was no picture on album or mention of names. Come to find out, the singers on that recording were the white, Anita Kerr Singers. In reading the liner notes on the new release on the Charmels, the Tonettes who later became the Charmels were the 'touring' Dixie Belles. Who knew?
    Last edited by blueskies; 02-24-2013 at 11:32 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9uZjPaB4w

This song by the Charmels has been sampled by a few rappers and I am wondering why do they go back so far to a lot of obscure songs? Is it because the royalties wont be as much or its a cool thing to do?

The Dixie Belles were just a studio group. When the record hit a trio of girls were put
    together to perform as I know they did a Dick Clark tour. But the group performing
    was NOT the group of singers on the records.

As I stated above, The Dixie Belles [[on record) were the white, Anita Kerr Singers. When the record hit, they used the Tonettes as the touring group....who later became the Charmels as noted on the above new release.

blueskies, I read this thread too early this morning...however, there were photos of
    the group, the Dixie Belles, shown as a trio of black girls in the '60s. Those were
    the group who toured. Interesting stuff!

Do you have the lp credited to the Dixie Belles? I remember their second single,
    Southtown USA. I don't think they had anymore, however.

in my wildest dream I cant hear a black girl group sound as milky white as The dixiebelles on sound stage7.anita kerr singers don't surprise me....but The Charmels/Tonettes singing southtown etc....no way.

Yes they did have a 3rd release on soundstage 7 "New York Town" b/w" The Beale Street Dog" SS7 2521.

Yes, Randy....I had the original LP when I was a kid and now have the CD [[as shown above). I was always curious as to WHO the Dixie Belles were as a kid and later on as there were no pics or names on the LP liner notes. Now I know why!
    Last edited by blueskies; 02-26-2013 at 08:13 PM.