[REMOVE ADS]

Music artists who sang coke commercials in the 60's and 70's

There's so many that are great... but here's a question, does anyone know of a comprehensive list of ALL recording artists who sang Coca Cola spots in the 60's and 70's? My two favorites are the one by O.C. Smith, and this one, by the Fortunes:

And the O.C. Smith one at 1:00

I've never seen a complete list, but a DJ friend has
    several volumes of soda jingles from the 1960s to the 1980s. Included on one of the volumes are COKE jingles by the Moody Blues, the New Vaudeville Band, Petula Clark, The Troggs, Tremoloes, Sandy Posey, Nancy Sinatra, Tom Jones, Brooklyn Bridge, Vogues, Vanilla Fudge, Neil Diamond, Lesley Gore, the Fifth Dimension, Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin, Bee Gees, Fortunes, Marvin Gaye, Supremes, Carla Thomas, Jerry Butler, Roy Orbison, Fontella Bass, Little Milton, Lee Dorsey, Shirelles, Drifters, Gladys Knight & the Pips, etc.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-22-2013 at 07:58 PM.

The Hillside Singers naturally, but it is going to take me a few moments to remember more artists.

Gladys Knight and the Pips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ef8yLMESE

Gladys Knight & the Pips also did Coke songs whilst at Motown. They were called "Joe's Place" and based on their hit "Nitty Gritty".

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Gladys Knight & the Pips also did Coke songs whilst at Motown. They were called "Joe's Place" and based on their hit "Nitty Gritty".
    It's one of my favorites.

Otis Redding and Little Milton also recorded radio commercials for Coke.

Otis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PC1W5AMi-I

Little Milton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85gS1ZCbX74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpPNG894iZI

I didnt know so many stars had done Coke commercials. The only singer other than Ray Charles and the Uh Huh Girls I remember is David Naughton who was the Dr Pepper guy, remember his song Makin it! I got looks, I got brains....LOL

It's got to be literally dozens of recording artists who did them... Another fave:

The Temptations and James Brown both recorded versions of the "It's The Real Thing" commercials.

The Dottie West Coke jingle, Country Sunshine, was written by her and Billy Davis [[ of Motown fame). It was rewritten and became a No. 1 county hit.

Wasn't there at least 1 CD full of the Coke commercials -- think copies were on Amazon but a couple of years back were commanding a good [[expensive) price.
    I have some vinyl EP's that just contain Coke commercial songs [[most just re-worded versions of an artist's hit) but apart from the fact that each contains 1/2 soul artist versions & one at least is of Dutch origin can't recall any more details at present [[& I am away from home so can't check).

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Wasn't there at least 1 CD full of the Coke commercials -- think copies were on Amazon but a couple of years back were commanding a good [[expensive) price.
    I have some vinyl EP's that just contain Coke commercial songs [[most just re-worded versions of an artist's hit) but apart from the fact that each contains 1/2 soul artist versions & one at least is of Dutch origin can't recall any more details at present [[& I am away from home so can't check).
    There were a few CDs with Coke and other soda jingles on Amazon and they were expensive. The discs I managed to get were made by a disc jockey who had saved the original tapes, soundchecks/recordings and made his discs from these.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I have a couple of copies of that CD somewhere. I think I also have a vinyl 12"/album too

my holy grail is the Impressions one...which sounded like one of their hits when Curtis sang it to me in the early 80ts...if anyone has this...id be interested in purchasing it

honest man Guest
    [
    Would love to hear TEMPTATIONS JINGLE,any offers.So glad Otis is still with us by the way,cheers.

did Marvin & Tammi just do the one coke commercial [[The Simple Things one), or are there others by them?

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    did Marvin & Tammi just do the one coke commercial [[The Simple Things one), or are there others by them?
    I've only heard the one by Marvin & Tammi. Marvin did record one or two solo. I did acquire one Coke jingle by the Temptations, but I have no idea what year it was recorded although Dennis Edwards sings lead.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.

marvin does one on his own too, [[things goes better with cokei usually play all of them on my 60's show every weekend. the listeners get a kick out of them! jerry butler's is my favorite!

I have Ray Charles singing "Things go better with Coke" on a WVON [[Chicago) air-check from the 60's.

There should be a thread on singers who sang for 7UP also like Fontela Bass.

Not Coke BUT Pepsi ....... & their new ad ..........
    ... which features Beyonce ...........

I have three CDs of Coke jingles, so here are the artists on those!
    Bee Gees
    Moody Blues
    New Vaudeville Band
    Los Bravos
    Petula Clark
    Troggs
    Tremeloes
    Tom Jones
    Wayne Fontana & Mindbenders
    Fortunes
    Freddie and the Dreamers
    Lulu
    Mary Hopkin
    Golden Earring
    Easybeats
    Left Banke
    Box Tops
    Lesley Gore
    Vogues
    Roy Orbison
    Nancy Sinatra
    Gary Lewis and the Playboys
    Jan and Dean
    Freddie Cannon
    Everly Bros
    Jay and The Americans
    American Breed
    Sandy Posey
    Brooklyn Bridge
    BJ Thomas
    Vanilla Fudge
    Boyce and Hart
    Neil Diamond
    Supremes
    Marvin [[solo)
    Marvin and Tammi
    Jay and the Techniques
    The Seekers
    Fontella Bass
    Lee Dorsey
    The Drifters
    Joe Tex
    Ray Charles
    Aretha Franklin
    Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin duet[[!)
    Carla Thomas
    Jerry Butler
    Carla Thomas and Jerry Butler duet
    5th Dimension
    Gladys Knight and the Pips
    Kool & The Gang [[70s/80s period)
    Al Green
    Paul Williams
    New Seekers
    Bread
    Janis Ian
    Three Dog Night
    John Denver
    Carpenters
    Chicago
    Newbeats
    George Benson
    Donna Summer
    Natalie Cole
    plus a few other rock acts in the 80s.

Phew! In other words, anyone who was anyone in the 60s and 70s!
    There were also some similar ads for Pepsi and a few for Dr Pepper.
    Some artistes recorded a couple of different versions. The only Marvin & Tammi I have is 'the simple things'.