[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Holloway Motown Anthology...help!

Over the last couple of years, I've purchased most of the Motown Anthology sets, with the exception of Brenda Holloway. I have several Brenda Holloway CDs, but I'm looking for the Brenda Holloway Motown Anthology. I listened to the sound clips, and was blown away by her covers of "Embraceable You" and "Unchained Melody," among others.

As usual, VCQ has once again missed the boat, so to speak. As I'm outside of the UK, I can't download it from Amazon.co.uk. The only seller stateside wants $100 for a [[used) copy.

Is there any chance that the Brenda Holloway Motown Anthology will be reissued? I would really, really like to get my hands on a new [[sealed) copy. Harry, if you read this, please tell me that the US division of Motown is considering rereleasing this gem!!

Thanks,

VCQ

Would have thought the CD version was easy to come by, but having just checked the usual UK retail outlets, and Dusty Groove in Chicago, I am very surprised it is not available other than as a download.

It's been unavailable for ages. A re-issue is not likely so it's a case of having to look at the likes of eBay & Amazon market place.

Cor - the only 2 second hand on Amazon start at £ 75! Who'd have thought it.....

Bet Xtown is counting the shekels over the boxful he must have bought!

Yes this is going for big money these days - wish I'd bought a few of these. I do like Brenda Holloway but I'm unclear as to why this particular on sells for what it does, when e.g. Velvs, Chris Clark, Billy Eckstine can still be picked up cheaply. Some of the 2-fers are advertised for silly money too.

Remember a while back when TCMS6 was in scarce supply but some copies seemed to emerge from somewhere. I tried placing orders only to be told it was out of stock so I assumed I'd missed out - then suddenly they were all able to supply at the same price I ordered at so I ended up with 3 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes this is going for big money these days - wish I'd bought a few of these. I do like Brenda Holloway but I'm unclear as to why this particular on sells for what it does, when e.g. Velvs, Chris Clark, Billy Eckstine can still be picked up cheaply. Some of the 2-fers are advertised for silly money too.

Remember a while back when TCMS6 was in scarce supply but some copies seemed to emerge from somewhere. I tried placing orders only to be told it was out of stock so I assumed I'd missed out - then suddenly they were all able to supply at the same price I ordered at so I ended up with 3 copies.
    Perhaps the high price has to with how many were initially pressed? I'm not completely sure, but I got my copy out and gave it a spin today. had skipped over songs like Embraceable You and Unchained Melody before. There are some rarities on Disc 2 that could factor into the cost. Amazon.com [[US) is selling it for $100.00. I assume much of BRENDA"S first Motown album was recorded in Los Angeles? Amazing how much some Motown discs are worth these days.

I missed out on buying the Barbara McNair anthology. Considering that both albums had been transferred to CD-R several years before the anthology, I didn't think I would be missing much. Lo and behold, an interest developed in the Smokey Robinson material. By then the price was beyond what was considered reasonable. [Thank God for being able to listen on You Tube]. The Barbara McNair anthology is another rare set that will "fetch", in good Southern English, a handsome price.

The Brenda Holloway LP has long been a favorite since it was purchased in 1965. [It was issued in 1964, but the money for buying LPs came with an after school job in 1965]. It's amazing that she was only 18 years old when the album was recorded. She was and is an incredible talent. Too bad she felt the need to leave. When thinking about what might have happened with being in the right place at the right time the story might have had a spectacular outcome. Good luck in your quest. Keep a sharp eye and don't hesitate because these things have a way of turning up.

I put off purchasing the Brenda Anthology, then dicovered the insane prices it was going for. Every few weeks though, I would check the usual sources just in case. Lo and behold, this past July a seller in Australia listed it on AmazonUK for just $20 US. I immediately placed my order and a few days later received my copy for an EXTREMELY fair price. The lesson here is never stop looking, you just never know where your treasure may be buried. It's one of the reasons collecting is so much fun.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    I put off purchasing the Brenda Anthology, then dicovered the insane prices it was going for. Every few weeks though, I would check the usual sources just in case. Lo and behold, this past July a seller in Australia listed it on AmazonUK for just $20 US. I immediately placed my order and a few days later received my copy for an EXTREMELY fair price. The lesson here is never stop looking, you just never know where your treasure may be buried. It's one of the reasons collecting is so much fun.

Road Runner, you brought up a good point in looking beyond the usual sources [[Ebay, Amazon.com, etc). Sometimes you can find discs you want on Amazon.Com UK, Amazon Canada and Dusty Groove America now has a used disc section. You have to keep looking.

RossHolloway Guest
    Yea, it's completely gone off radar. The anthology isn't even on i-Tunes! I did see the other day an original copy of her lp Every Little Bit Hurts up for auction and I think that was the first time I've EVER seen a copy of the original album and I've been collecting for 30 years. They also had a copy of the promotional 45 - Play it Cool, Stay in School for $600.00 USD!! Unreal. But if you haven't picked up a copy of her pre-Motown recordings, if you're a BH fan, it's totally worth it. You get to hear what Berry Gordy heard and it becomes even more clear as to why he signed her when she was so young. There are actually some really really nice cuts on the cd.

google the anthology.there are acres of download sites,amazon uk both discs 11/12 quid.
    free torrent downloads. all the tracks might be illegal but you cant buy it unless its a ripoff price.where does the law stand on this!

RossHolloway Guest
    I seem to recall that at the time of the release of the anthology HW hinted that there were still enough tracks in the vaults that there may be a L&F collection done one day. Well HW how about it?

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    google the anthology.there are acres of download sites,amazon uk both discs 11/12 quid.
    free torrent downloads. all the tracks might be illegal but you cant buy it unless its a ripoff price.where does the law stand on this!
    Anyone offering music for sale or free that comes from a bootleg or an illegal download is breaking the law.

If you're lucky enough to live in the UK, Brenda Holloway's Motown Anthology is readily available via iTunes, HMV Digital, Tesco, and 7digital to name a few. Unfortunately, these downloads are geographically restricted to the UK, so I have no way to purchase the album and am hoping that Motown will eventually rerelease it [[thanks for responding to my e-mails, HW!).

I'd settle for just the MP3s if I could buy them off Amazon.com, although I'd prefer to have the whole package. It would be great to see the Motown Anthologies given the same treatment as the Hip-O Select reissues [[Tammi Terrell, etc.). Here's hoping!

For all you Soulful Detroiters in the UK, there's a used copy of Brenda Holloway's Motown Anthology on Ebay UK if anyone's interested. Current high bid is £3.20 and the bidding ends on 18 Nov, 201021:37:20 GMT.

Cheers,

VCQ

It's now up to £10.85 with 8 bids and over 3 days till the sale ends!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    It's now up to £10.85 with 8 bids and over 3 days till the sale ends!
    What do you wanna bet me that someone won't drive the price up at the last minute and steal the disc right out from under you at the last minute?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    What do you wanna bet me that someone won't drive the price up at the last minute and steal the disc right out from under you at the last minute?
    Well I'm not bothered as I have it but it will be interesting to see what the final price is.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Well I'm not bothered as I have it but it will be interesting to see what the final price is.
    £56 with 40 minutes left!

Sold for £67! Now where did I put my copy
    Last edited by copley; 11-18-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Sold for £67! So much for the recession!

$100 on US Amazon.

£67 = $107

Yeah, I've been following the [[US) Amazon posting...desperately hoping that a second seller will list it at a lower price eventually [[that's the only way I'll get my hands on a copy over here!)

HI vcq,
    Check http://www.musicstack.com/ once in a while. I've done okay by them several times.

I have the Motown #1 Box Set and Volume 7 of the Motown Singles...............um, does anyone wanna pay me a fortune for them?

On eBay now at the buy it now price of £69.99 [[$109)

http://tinyurl.com/394mnuo

Oh and another one with starting price of £14.99 [[$23.35)

http://tinyurl.com/37z8jj9

Good Luck
    Last edited by copley; 11-29-2010 at 04:47 PM.

I have a MEGA RARE U.K. Motown 45 vinyl single called Endless Love by Diana Ross & Lionel Ritchie. WITH PICTURE SLEEVE!!
    Saw this on e-bay the other day starting price £10.00. Avin a laff or what!..If I see any copies of the Brenda Holloway Anthology C.D. I will buy up all copies and retire to the Bahamas..Paulo xxxx

I just bought a copy listed as "new" condition from an Amazon Marketplace seller...still waiting for it to arrive. Another seller just listed a used copy for $50 [[US) if anyone is interested...much cheaper than the eBay UK prices I've seen for used copies at 70 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

I just bought a copy listed as "new" condition from an Amazon Marketplace seller...still waiting for it to arrive. Another seller just listed a used copy for $50 [[US) if anyone is interested...much cheaper than the eBay UK prices I've seen for used copies at 70 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    Seller only ships domestically so no good for anyone living outside the USA!
    £73 cheapest on Amazon UK!

Vcq

I hope you enjoy the CD...and may this teach you a lesson for the future!

*smile*