[REMOVE ADS]

Artists whose first album was their best

I don't recall if this subject has ever been addressed on here before or not, but when playing a certain CD today, the thought occurred to me that some of the artists in my collection released such a terrific debut album that they were never [[in my opinion at least) able to top it. Now I am not talking about record sales, chart position, etc. but rather just my own personal enjoyment of the music. Before I list some examples, be aware that I am an "old school" music fan, so from me at least we won't be talking Rihanna or anybody recent, but rather some of the classics.

Here are some of the artists that I think fit this category:

Freda Payne: Actually as soon as I typed her name, it occurred to me that she had some obscure earlier releases before Band of Gold, so therefore the comments that I was about to make about that album may not be valid, since it was not technically her debut. But since I have started the post, I may as well finish what I wanted to say. I just thought that B of G was a great song, as well as The Easiest Way to Fall, Unhooked Generation, and the SUPERB I Left Some Dreams Back There. It seemed like such a totally well-crafted album. She had some other good ones [[Reaching Out for example) but I just thought the Band of Gold album topped anything that followed it.

The Jones Girls: That first album rocked and their harmonies were amazing. The second album was nowhere near as good in my opinion, and after that, they rushed out two or three others in such rapid succession that I think quantity became more important than quality. Shirley's debut solo album was great though.

Odyssey: What an outstanding first album!!!! There was not a weak cut on there. Loved Native New Yorker of course, but also Golden Hands and Weekend Lover. The second album was abominable by comparison, especially that awful Lily and Harvey nonsense. They did bounce back nicely with the very good Hang Together album [[Love Love LOVED "Down Boy,") but after that they tanked big time and got lost in the disco shuffle.

Whitney Houston: Considering how long it took to produce this album and the anticipation of it, how could it have been anything but perfect? Again not a weak cut to be found. To her credit, the follow-up was "almost" as good and contained some sensational songs, but nothing after those two did it for me.

Martha Reeves [[solo): That Richard Perry album was fantastic and I had such high hopes that she would make it big as a solo artist. The one that followed on Arista [[Rest of My Life) was also a decent album that needs to be released on CD by the way, but the two that followed were an embarrassment to such a beloved artist.

Finally, although this is a soul-music board, there is a pop singer that I would include in this subject matter. I thought that Curtis Stigers' first album on Arista in the early 90s was terrific and that he had a real future as a power balladeer, but for some reason he almost immediately changed his style and is now more acoustic so that you don't hear his range at all.

OK, those are my nominees, at least the ones that I can think of at the moment.

My nominations.

A Girl Called Dusty - Dusty Springfield. It was also the very first album I bought with my own money
    Shorty Long - Here Comes The Judge - I still play this album and often.
    Laura Lee - Women's Love Rights
    Edwin Starr - Soul Master
    Jackson 5 - Diana Ross Presents

Terrence Trent D'Arby - Introducing the Hardline According to...
    Natalie Cole - Inseperable & Natalie
    Cheryl Lynn - Cheryl Lynn
    Baduizm - Erykah Badu
    Brown Sugar - D'Angelo
    Temptations - Meet the Temptations/ Not their best album but a good debut.
    Aretha Franklin- Aretha With the Ray Bryant Trio/ Not her best either but a strong start and an indicator of what was to come.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-16-2013 at 02:37 PM.

thomas96 Guest
    I agree on Shorty Long with Here Comes the Judge, and the Jackson 5 Diana Ross Presents.
    Also,
    Jr. Walker - Shotgun
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - United. I know it's not Marvin's first, but Tammi's first, and the first of the duo.
    Jimmy Ruffin - Sings Top Ten
    Otis Redding - Pain in My Heart
    Gladys Knight & the Pips - Everybody Needs Love. Not 100% it was their first, I know it was their first with Motown but I don't know if they released any albums on any other label.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Gladys Knight & the Pips - Everybody Needs Love. Not 100% it was their first, I know it was their first with Motown but I don't know if they released any albums on any other label.
    Technically, it was not GK&TP first album. They had other album releases on other labels, but ENL was their first for Motown. David began the thread by highlighting debut albums that were better than an artist's follow ups. But I think good debut albums works much better as a theme. For example, A Girl Called Dusty [[by Dusty Springfield) was her first solo album, but not her best.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Sylvia - Pillow Talk.

"Pillow-Talking" Highlights:

- Pillow Talk
    - My Thing
    - Didn't I
    - Not In the Outside
    - Gimme A Little Action
    Last edited by Ngroove; 02-16-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Off the top of my head.............[[in addition to those mentioned)

Brainstorm---- Excellent debut
    Eloise Laws-- Eloise [[ABC)
    BT Express--
    Chaka Khan---[[solo)
    SOS Band----
    Michael Henderson--Solid
    Minnie Ripperton--Perfect Angel

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Finally, although this is a soul-music board, there is a pop singer that I would include in this subject matter. I thought that Curtis Stigers' first album on Arista in the early 90s was terrific and that he had a real future as a power balladeer, but for some reason he almost immediately changed his style and is now more acoustic so that you don't hear his range at all.

OK, those are my nominees, at least the ones that I can think of at the moment.
    Saw Curtis at the grocery store last week with his daughter, he lives in my town. Good guy ... latest album is a bit too melancholy for me, but I like his stuff.

I'm adding----------

D Train
    Denise Williams
    Ace Spectrum
    DJ Rodgers
    Last edited by daddyacey; 02-16-2013 at 11:36 PM.

The Jimmy Ruffin Top Ten album was an excellent addition to this topic. Surprised I didn't think of it myself. There were four or five other potential hits on that album in addition to the ones he did have from it.

I dunno if you'll grill me for this mentioning, potentially too "pop"....Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl". Seriously, it's one of the very few I could listen start-finish, as it had it all - including: Straight Up, Forever Your Girl, Cold Blooded, Opposites Attract, One Or The Other, Knocked Out...
    Last edited by Ngroove; 02-17-2013 at 01:29 AM.

DR BUZZARD :

D'Angelo
    Jill Scott
    Jennifer Holliday
    Maxwell
    Brainstorm
    Karen Clark Sheard
    Eryka Badu
    Chris Walker
    EnVogue

Regarding the Jones Girls, "At Peace With Woman" was my favorite album by them but they did have a great debut

Brass Construction

I'll try to think of some more later on.

"Lexicon of Love" by ABC was one of my favourite LPs of the 1980s. None of their subsequent albums came close [[though "When Smokey Sings" was a memorable single).

Name:  ad scsh.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  30.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Terrence Trent D'Arby - Introducing the Hardline According to...
    Natalie Cole - Inseperable & Natalie
    Cheryl Lynn - Cheryl Lynn
    All three are fine choices!

It's hard for me to pick any first albums from the R&B spectrum because do many great artists got their start long before they found their musical voice, and their first albums are nowhere near what their later work is.

Madonna - she had an R&B fan base in the beginning with "Everybody," "Physical Attraction," "Holiday" and "Lucky Star."; all on her first album.

Ah yes, Madge is another choice that I would agree with and should have thought of myself.

Chante Moore

The first to come at my mind is Teddy Pendergrass first and self titled solo album. The rest of his PIR discography is very good, every LP contains gems as "Love TKO", or my all-time favorite "Cold, Cold World", etc.,... but in the case of his first solo album, there's no one track that not deserved a "side A single" status! [[IMHO, of course).

Another I can recall is The Future's [[I think is their album debut, ?) "Castles" LP on Buddah. I got this album and the two they do for G & H and their debut is one gem after another and the other LP's, IMHO have some gem with some "filler stuff"...

Cheers to all!

The Band

This is one in my opinion that may fit your criteria.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Right off the top of my head ------

All By Myself - Regina Belle. Every cut is sensational.