[REMOVE ADS]

WDAS Freedom Shows -- 1960's

I'm chasing info on this series of shows that were the brainchild of DJ Georgie Woods. They were all staged in Philly and ran from 1963 to around 1968 [[to the best of my knowledge).

........... THE INFO I HAVE ALREADY ..............
    1st FREEDOM SHOW organised by WDAS in Philly in 1963 – Georgie Woods VP of the Philadelphia branch of the NAACP promoted concert to raise money for the NAACP. 1st concert staged at the Uptown Theatre on May 14, 1963. Singers Jackie Wilson and Linda Hopkins, comedian Bill Cosby, and other acts performed to a sold-out crowd of two thousand people

2nd 'WDAS FREEDOM SHOW' staged at Convention Hall in West Philly Tuesday March 17th 1964 – concert featured Sam Cooke, Jerry Butler, the Shirelles, Martha and the Vandellas, and comedian Jackie “Moms” Mabley. The concert raised $30,000. Estimated that 14,000 people filled the hall with another five thousand waiting outside.

1965 FREEDOM SHOW Civic Centre OR Convention Hall – Woods hosted another Freedom Show on March 23, 1965.

1966 FREEDOM SHOW Civic Centre – The evening's playbill featured 19 acts including the Drifters, Don Covay, Kim Weston, Junior Walker & the Allstars, King Curtis, Johnny Nash, Edwin Starr, The 3 Degrees, the Intruders, the Mad Lads and Patii La Belle & the Blue Belles

1967 FREEDOM SHOW staged at Convention Centre, West Philly – concert starred the Temptones, Kenny Hamber. Arthur Conley, Sly & the Family Stone, the Delfonics, Babara Mason and Dee Dee Sharp.

1968 FREEDOM SHOW ?? .... still trying to establish if a show was held in 68. Of course in previous years they had been put on [[mainly) in March. MLK was killed & riots kicked off in many cities [[including Philly) in early April, so if a concert had beenplanned for later than March it would probably have been abandoned due to the circumstances.
    I know that the likes of Jimmy Bishop hosted the 5 Stairsteps at a WDAS Freedom Rally in April 68, but was an actual concert also staged.

.... WHAT I'D LIKE TO DETERMINE .......
    Acts on 1965 show
    Dates of 1966 & 1967 shows
    Was there a 1968 show ?
    MANY THANKS for any help forthcoming from SDFers

The Temptones performing on the show in 67 ........
    Attachment 6163

I should just mention that The Philadelphia Convention Hall and Civic Center were the same venue -- though called 2 different names in details of concerts / events staged there.
    The Beatles played the venue on September 2, 1964 during their first tour of the United States. The Rolling Stones in 1965.
    The place suffered a massive downturn in business when a newer venue opened in 1968.

Don't have the answers but I wish I could go back in time to see those shows. Especially the 1966 show with The [[pre Cowboys To Girls) Intruders. If somebody had only filmed them [[sigh).

Jsmith! Thank you for this information. It fits well with it being Black History Month. I wasn't in Philly then and like learning about what went on there back in the day. Thank you

Marv

I distinctly remember being at the 1967 show and seeing Sly. I remember being in the balcony and we were all bopping to the same beat and I could feel the balcony moving. I left the balcony with the quickness. I really don't remember anything else.

Mr. June,
    I did see "The Intruders" in 1966 and they were fabulous, so were their muscians like bassist "E.J.". I was at an all week show at the Howard Theater around August or September of 1966. Also on the show were Percy Sledge, Howard Tate, and that crazy comic-M.C. "Sad Sam" who dragged me onto the stage to dance during the finale [[lol)!

S.S.

Soul Sister, the Intruders must have been last minute subtitutes as this was the show as advertised that was staged at the Howard the last week of September 1966 ..........

Attachment 6167

I believe it was the 1965 show that I attended.As I remember it,the entire 2nd half was the James Brown Revue.1st half I remember Garnet Mimms,Major Lance,Drifters,impressions,many more.Wish I could remember more..

PhillyKen, thanks for that info.
    I sure sounds like the type of show Curtis Mayfield would have been keen to be on back then.

nosey, this bring back any memories ??

Attachment 6168

Which area of the balcony were you in ??

Info passed to me by a friend.

Acts on the 1965 show were:-
    Brook Benton
    Jerry Butler
    The Impressions
    Major Lance
    Mary Wells
    The Vibrations
    Ben E King
    The Four Tops
    Dionne Warwick
    Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Garnet Mimms
    Patti LaBelle & Her Blue Belles
    Inez & Charlie Foxx
    Dee Dee Sharp
    The Orlons
    Willie Tyler & Lester
    Nella Dodds
    and Many Other Top Stars Plus King Curtis & His Orchestra

The 1966 show carries a message from Jimy Bishop dated 22nd March 1966.

MANY THANKS for the info.

Seems that the list of acts down to perform at each event [[as shown in the printed programmes ahead of time) and the actual line up on the day EVOLVED every year.
    New artists with a current big hit were added, as were acts with local connections [[Jimmy Bishop certainly added some to the bills).
    So who was supposed to be on & who actually was on differed some years.

Kenny Hamber 'remembers' being on the show when the Temptones were on it [[+ Sly & FS). Kenny recalls that he was promoting his 1st Arctic 45 release [[which escaped in 67) and the Temptones are down as opening the 1967 show, so I assumed he was on the 67 show.
    HOWEVER, Sly & the FS's 1st hit 45 was in February 68. Kenny had his 2nd Arctic 45 out that year, so I'd have to say that Kenny was actually on the 68 show.
    He recalls it being staged at the Spectrum [[not the Convention / Civic Centre) and that venue only opened late in 67.
    I'm told there were 2 Freedom Shows in 68 [[one probably being staged in April that year), so it seems likely that KH + Sly&FS were on one of these shows.
    Will have do do more 'work' to sort out these matters.
    Last edited by jsmith; 02-17-2013 at 04:59 PM.

aha...Copley's post did remind of a few others that he said were there,I remember The Vibrations,Orlons,willie tyler,patti labelle,Ben E King,Tops,Mary Wells,Jerry Butler,etc.I do NOT remember Brook Benton or Dionne Warwick but I could be wrong.Or I might even have seen the 1964 show instead of 65.I know the one I saw had the entire James Brown Revue as the 2nd half.Sorry for the confusion but when you hit age of 70 confusion is a constant.I do remember with great pleasure about 6 or 8 shows I attended at the Uptown from 63-65.I only went to matinees because truthfully I was afraid on the subways and streets after dark,coming from NJ.Usually I was the only caucasian in the audience but my love of the music and artists was stronger than my fear.

The Spectrum Arena opened on the last day of September 67 [[a big jazz show was staged there) and so the Civic Centre soon fell out of use for big music shows such as the Freedom Show.
    It may well be that one of the 1968 Freedom Shows was actually staged at the Spectrum Arena.

Anyone know if this was the case or if the 1968 shows were still staged at the old venue [[one of those shows would have been the one that starred Sly & the Family Stone I think).

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    nosey, this bring back any memories ??

Attachment 6168

Which area of the balcony were you in ??
    Facing the stage on the left hand side. On that site now is an expansion of the University of Penn Hospital or something affiliated with them.

Jsmith, I just remembered that Freddy Scott of "Are You Lonely for me Baby" was at that show although he isn't listed. He may have been a last minute addition. I distinctly remember his relatives sitting near me and going off letting us all know that he was their cousin. I do remember seeing James Brown at one of the shows because he had two drummers playing at the same time.