[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Frank Ocean's performance at the Grammys: What went wrong?

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/02/11/f...-grammys-2013/

I think given all the hype coming into the show and how CBS was promoting his performance, he really blew it last night with his underwhelming vocals and blah song.

I was SOOOOOO disappointed. I love his cd and I've seen him perform on a few other television shows and I truly enjoyed his performance. That Grammy fiasco was an epic fail, I don't know if nerves got the best of him or that Chris Brown incident but it was a very huge event NOT to bring your A game.

See when I see shit like this, it makes me appreciate that in my lifetime we had Teddy Pendergrass, Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, Levi Stubbs just to name a few! I don't know anything about this guy Frank Ocean but if he is representative of the best of the latest, then popular music is in serious trouble today!

Last edited by marv2; 02-11-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/02/11/f...-grammys-2013/

I think given all the hype coming into the show and how CBS was promoting his performance, he really blew it last night with his underwhelming vocals and blah song.
    You are being wayyy too kind! He sucked! I am now wondering if I should give him a second chance; go look for a better representation of his "talent"?

A big problem with todays music[[ and something I've known for a very long time) is that there arent' any good songwriters out there today! Where are the songwriters? Listen to the lyrics of most current songs and you'll find mostly repeated catch phrases without any substance.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I was SOOOOOO disappointed. I love his cd and I've seen him perform on a few other television shows and I truly enjoyed his performance. That Grammy fiasco was an epic fail, I don't know if nerves got the best of him or that Chris Brown incident but it was a very huge event NOT to bring your A game.
    What Chris Brown incident? Listening to this guy on the Grammys made me realize just how truly talented guys like Bobby Brown and some others really were! I'll take "Don't Be Cruel" over his "Forest Gump" everyday of the week.

Bobby Brown is used here for illustration purposes.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-11-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Frank is a good songwriter from what I have read. IMO I think that the liberal media hyped this guy up because he was urban/hip hop and came out of the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What Chris Brown incident? Listening to this guy on the Grammys made me realize just how truly talented guys like Bobby Brown and some others really were! I'll take "Don't Be Cruel" over his "Forest Gump" everyday of the week.

Bobby Brown is used here for illustration purposes.
    LOL. you ar going HAM on him marv2 but that was a really bad performance. He and Chris Brown had an altercation over a parking space and apparently he was jumped on by Chris Brown. He decided not to press charges, which could have been serious for Brown since he's already on probation.
    http://www.bet.com/news/music/2013/0...es-studio.html

I don't have any time for "Saint Frank." I do find it hilarious that a good 2 to 3 generations of black male R&B singers were maligned, castigated but this guy is so hyped. He can barely sing, period.

smark21 Guest
    I’m curious, why do you sarcastically refer to him as “St. Frank”?

I do think based on his performance at the Grammys he’s been overhyped. I haven’t heard his album, but there are people out there who love it and swear by its brilliance. But based on Grammy performance, he’s in danger of becoming the Lana Del Rey of R and B. Last year Del Rey became an internet sensation in indie pop circles. She was booked to perform on Saturday Night Live and turned a very lackluster performance. The internet is a good tool to promote, but as with any other medium, sometime the hype can overwhelm what true talent and ability there may be.

I actually saw him on a late night television show and enjoyed his performance so much that I immediately went to amazon.com and downloaded his cd. I really like the cd a lot and I do believe that it deserved the Grammy nom but that Grammy performance was one of the worst I've seen by any performer on that stage ever.

His explanation to the Chris Brown scuffle was very self serving--here it is as follows...

As a child I thought if someone jumped me it would result in me murdering or mutilating a man. But as a man I am not a killer,” he wrote in capital letters.

“I’m an artist and a modern person. I’ll choose sanity. No criminal charges. No civil lawsuit. Forgiveness, albeit difficult, is wisdom. Peace, albeit trite, is what I want in my short life. Peace.”

I just find the whole deal very tiresome.
    Last edited by zebop; 02-13-2013 at 12:59 AM.