[REMOVE ADS]

The Originals - San Jose Soul Jam

The Originals put on a great show, and Hank Dixon still commands authority with that great vocal prowess. They were introduced by outtakes of various Motown recordings on which they did the backgrounds, for example "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted". The line up is Hank Dixon, Dillon Gorman [[Freddie Gorman's son), Terrie Dixon [[Hank's daughter), and Defrantz Forrest, son of Gene Chandler. [[Defrantz was part of the trio on Motown, For Lovers Only, produced by Otis Williams and Melvin Franklin. Terry Weeks was another member who went on to join The Temptations and still with them today.)

This line up works very well, and the vocals were just brilliant - the harmonising was superb. To any promoter out there, they are well worth booking as their sound is just as appealing and their stage craft impressive.

Set List: extended versions of The Bells and Baby I'm For Real

Backed by the musical director [[Chuck Cruise?) with 3 guitars, 1 bass, drums, 2 keyboards,and 5 brass section....... Name:  P1000406.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  83.9 KB
    lEFT TO RIGHT Dillon and Defrantz
    Name:  P1000407.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  75.7 KB

One of my favorite groups.
    Thank you, Marvin!

S.S.

I am going to post more photos and some video..... tomorrow

Thanks for this mike. So happy for hank.

Absolutely LOVE them. "The Bells" & "Baby I'm For Real" are the jams. My boss Eugene Pitt does a fabulous version of those songs during his "Never Never" medley. Brings the crowd to their feet. Thanks, Mike.

~~Mary~~

Look forward to the video being posted!

Name:  P1000408.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  P1000409.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  75.5 KBName:  P1000410.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  76.3 KBName:  P1000411.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  78.4 KBName:  P1000412.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  77.3 KB

The videos were shot with a lot of background noise and in particular, a lady in the adjacent seat screaming at the top of her voice into my ear - sorry not better quality, but if you like the Originals, you'll surely appreciate any contemporary footage? I cannot directly upload, so they will go up on youtube and then I'll provide the links -uploading is a very slow process....
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Mike the second video is Superb! with more of the vocal, "The Voice" Hank has lost nothing at all!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback..... videoing uninterrupted was difficult, you will see the third video is cut short by a torch being flashed into my lens ! Still, I hope it gives everyone a flavour of how good The Originals are in person, their harmonising is truly superb, they deserve support and hopefully they will continue to get good bookings.

Pic from show promotional material

Name:  EPSON001.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  87.0 KB

Mike, great photos & video!! I was there too and got to meet everyone backstage. Hank still has his voice indeed! And the current lineup is a good one. I also spoke with Dillon Gorman, a young man who is clearly thrilled to be a part of his dad's group, keeping the vocal group harmony sound alive.

This was a fabulous concert with several legends who still know how to give a great performance. Eddie Holman, Bloodstone, The Fuzz, Barbara Lewis, GQ. No karaoke track sing-along or Autotune necessary, just natural talent. I encourage everyone to go see these old school artists while they are still performing.

thomas96 Guest
    Fantastic! Hank still sounds absolutely amazing. Ooh boy. I really want to see them! Are they still touring? If so, does anyone have a link to a schedule or something?

Thomas, I could not find tour infor for The Originals, but Freddie's son has a website with contact info:
    www.dillongorman.com

Coincidently, tomorrow--April 11th, would have been Freddie Gorman's 74th birthday. [[Born 9 days after Marvin Gaye)