[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

"I'm Coming Out" was NOT Ross' third Top Ten solo hit;
    it came behind "Ain't No Mountain High Enough[[#1),"Touch Me in The Morning"[[#1),"Theme From Mahogany"[[#1),"Love Hangover"[[#1),and Upside Down[[#1)..so it was her 6th Top Ten solo hit..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    "I'm Coming Out" was NOT Ross' third Top Ten solo hit;
    it came behind "Ain't No Mountain High Enough[[#1),"Touch Me in The Morning"[[#1),"Theme From Mahogany"[[#1),"Love Hangover"[[#1),and Upside Down[[#1)..so it was her 6th Top Ten solo hit..
    You are absolutley right about that, the writer of the review was obviously partial to her work with the Supremes and focused on the lack of tunes she sung from the 60's perhaps the frequent costume changes took away from the show. I remember seeing her in 1989 at Jones Beach, and she put on a fabulous show with only two costume changes and that show was about 90 minutes long.

with such a bone headed intro, it makes everything else about this 'review' as suspect as a Fox News piece on Obama..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    with such a bone headed intro, it makes everything else about this 'review' as suspect as a Fox News piece on Obama..
    There was the one innaccuracy, but I think it was a fair and balanced review. His complaint was VERY reasonable, and not vitriolic in the least. Consider that she had THREE TIMES more #1 hits as a Supreme than as a solo, yet she sung only two of those songs in her show. Dionne never leaves out any of her hits, cause she has said.. "If I leave something out, you can BET I'll hear about it!" And she released that Sprial Starecase song 6 years ago, and it wasn't a hit. it's time to drop that song... and replace it with a Supremes medley.

No medleys. They usually don't do the songs justice.

Perhaps he knows that Stop in the Name of Love is a Diana Ross song so he left it off the list of Supremes songs.

LOL, quit trying to compare Diana Ross with the DIRT BAG Obama Administration.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    No medleys. They usually don't do the songs justice.

Perhaps he knows that Stop in the Name of Love is a Diana Ross song so he left it off the list of Supremes songs.
    Medleys are ok if done right. When I saw her in 1991, she did a Supremes medley, and it was very good, and well arranged. It had 5 songs, and was over 10 minutes long.

It's hard for any performer with hit records across several decades to please everybody. I remember seeing Ross in Rotterdam 2004, where she, to the surprise of many, performed more than two hours, with 11 Supremes songs [[in full, no medley) performed before the intermission [[out of a total of 35 songs overall). When we were in the train back, several people complained out loud that -- even though they apparently liked the concert -- the first half consisted too much out of "old songs"! Of course, when the concert is just over an hour, it becomes even more difficult to pick the right songs. Would love to see Ross [[an many other artists) do an "anti-tour" as Australian pop diva did last year to celebrate her 25-years in show business. Instead of performing the hits, she sang b-sides and album tracks that are fan favorites... Of course, casual audiences want to hear the hits, but when presented as a special occasion, or even one-night only like "Stolen Moments", I'm sure audiences will love it...

I am not a blindly supportive fan by any means but, like her music or not, Diana Ross must surely rank among the greatest names ever in the history of popular music, particularly throughout the second half of the twentieth century.

Not wanting to disagree with anyone here, and it's just my opinion, but my interpretation of the review is that it is, even apart from an inaccuracy or two, curiously negative and unbalanced.

The review damns Diana Ross' concert with faint praise, simply by concentrating its main focus on the selection of her material - drawn from what is generally agreed to be a very large repertoire - and also her costume changes.

There is little information of any depth which informs either a fan or an unbiased reader. It dwells more on the history of Diana Ross' career, rather than how she is today : - the overall presentation of her show, how she performed sounded and conveyed the messages of the songs , any particular highlights, how she related to the audience, how they related and received her, etc, etc...

If the reviewer doesn't care for Diana Ross' music - and there are of course many who do not - there must surely have been some positive and professional aspects to the show which were omitted from the review [[and which, to be fair, could have been heavily edited). Apart from one or two references, it's almost as if he was not actually present at the concert LOL

IMO, the review strongly suggests that the lady up on the stage was surely giving so much more in spirit than a certain gentleman in his seat below.......but then, that's show business

Her signature is the many costume changes. She does them rapidly and the audience is in awe of how she can make such a complete change so fast. And while she is off stage, she does not leave the audience just twiddling their thumbs while waiting. While they wait , they get to see her background singers shine and continue the song, and sometimes a member of the band is also featured. A couple of times she also had strings in the orchestra and that was terrific. Her career did not end when the Supremes disbanded. She has achieved much since then and has not been living off the Supremes Legacy. She used to sing just medleys of the Supremes hits in her shows, but now she is singing full versions. Of course if she were to sing all her hits and all the Supremes hits, the concert would end at 2 a.m. Unrealistic. She did try to honor the Supremes a dozen years ago by doing a Supremes show with ALL the Supremes, but as we know, that did not work out.

I do agree with many posters above, like More Today Than Yesterday could be eliminated. And it would be nice to see her sing a non giant Diana hit like I'm Still Waiting or a non giant Supremes hit like There's No Stopping Us Now. But the purpose of the concert is to please as many people as she can in the short ninety minutes.

The lady still has a magic touch and honors the Supremes in every show.

Diana Ross for all intents and purposes is an Oldies Act. Most of her audiences know it, she should know it. She is expected to perform the music that gets the ticket buyers nostalgic. She is suppose to perform the oldest and the most recognized of songs which means "Baby Love", "Come See About Me", "Where Did Our Love Go"? etc., etc. The only solo recording most would want her to do is "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

If she cuts out some of the costume changes, she would have more time onstage to SING, which is what they audience is paying for.

Interesting observation Marv. And how lucky she is to have someone tell her what she is supposed to do. But I am curious. How did you come to that conclusion? Have you been to any of her recent concerts? I have and I noticed that the audience loves the costume changes. Most of the audience is going to see a solo act , who was once part of a group. They want to hear the successes of her entire career, her Supreme years and her solo years and the songs that she sang in films that she starred in. Teddy Pendergrass sang his hits and some of HMBN's hits. Sting sings some of his hits and some of Police's hits. Diana sings some of her hits and some of the Supremes hits. Then there is someone like Tony Williams who had no solo career after he left the Platters and spent the balance of his life performing the Platters hits in smaller and smaller venues. He had a meager career and lived off the Platters legacy til his death.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Interesting observation Marv. And how lucky she is to have someone tell her what she is supposed to do. But I am curious. How did you come to that conclusion? Have you been to any of her recent concerts? I have and I noticed that the audience loves the costume changes. Most of the audience is going to see a solo act , who was once part of a group. They want to hear the successes of her entire career, her Supreme years and her solo years and the songs that she sang in films that she starred in. Teddy Pendergrass sang his hits and some of HMBN's hits. Sting sings some of his hits and some of Police's hits. Diana sings some of her hits and some of the Supremes hits. Then there is someone like Tony Williams who had no solo career after he left the Platters and spent the balance of his life performing the Platters hits in smaller and smaller venues. He had a meager career and lived off the Platters legacy til his death.
    Yeah thanks! Anytime you are going to the public to earn your money, you are suppose to give them what they want. That is a fact. Luck has nothing to do with it.

smark21 Guest
    I think it’s a fair review and the writer actually likes Diana Ross. But he wanted the show to be longer and her on stage more often, rather than off stage changing gowns [[and at her age, she can’t do as quick a change as she once could). And nothing wrong with critiquing the set list—he obviously prefers her classic Motown songs over the disco songs. For me personally, I wish she would cut down the disco songs and get rid of Why Do Fools and instead perform more jazz standards as those songs are the best outlet for her talent and skills as a singer.

If you put a song like Where Did Our Love Go in the show, it comes out very light and bubble gummy done live, whereas, the single was a strong piece of pop r & b.

She can't take out the super popular material, and for better or worse, Why Do Fools Fall in Love makes the audience erupt, like Stop in the Name of Love. So does I Will Survive.

If she were to change the set list, she would have to stick with popular songs but maybe she could add in Endless Love, Love is Like an Itching in My Heart, Reflections, Come See About Me, You Keep Me Hangin On, Remember Me and Missing You.

just curious.. if Diana Ross , like her peers Paul Mc Cartney and Mick Jagger, is indeed an 'oldies' act, what then does that make Mary Wilson, who has never been the 'voice' on a hit record ever?..she could tour doing the back up parts of the hits, call it the "Baby Baby, oooh, Baby Baby" Tour...

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If you put a song like Where Did Our Love Go in the show, it comes out very light and bubble gummy done live, whereas, the single was a strong piece of pop r & b.

She can't take out the super popular material, and for better or worse, Why Do Fools Fall in Love makes the audience erupt, like Stop in the Name of Love. So does I Will Survive.

If she were to change the set list, she would have to stick with popular songs but maybe she could add in Endless Love, Love is Like an Itching in My Heart, Reflections, Come See About Me, You Keep Me Hangin On, Remember Me and Missing You.
    It comes out that way because of the way she performs it. That song could have an edge if she made the effort, but she doesn't because she HATES the song. I don't blame her, I find it boring myself. If you noticed during RTL, the songs she likes the least, she fucked up the lyrcis on. And one song that she REALLY likes "Forever Came Today" she did flawlessly. And that has the most complicated lyrics of ALL of her hit records. It's just a matter of when and where she wants to apply herself.

I've written many concert reviews and saw nothing mean spirited about this one. The reviewer has a right to point out that costume changes slowed the show's momentum. It's his or her opinion. I noticed that he didn't say anything about how she sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    It comes out that way because of the way she performs it. That song could have an edge if she made the effort, but she doesn't because she HATES the song. I don't blame her, I find it boring myself. If you noticed during RTL, the songs she likes the least, she fucked up the lyrcis on. And one song that she REALLY likes "Forever Came Today" she did flawlessly. And that has the most complicated lyrics of ALL of her hit records. It's just a matter of when and where she wants to apply herself.
    All I know is she had better hurry and start applying herself. hehehehehehehe!!!

This was not a mixed review. The guy just stated that he just wished she sang more Supreme songs. As far as costume changes go. Many people go to a Diana Ross concert for that and would be disappointed if she didn't do it. That would be like attending a Michael Jackson concert and him not doing the moonwalk. In any event, this was a bait thread. So that Diana Ross fans could be called out, and to give the usual haters something to drool over.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    LOL, quit trying to compare Diana Ross with the DIRT BAG Obama Administration.
    one sure thing about opinions. everyone has one. just like everyone has a foot, hand, knee, etc.

I think audiences are more sophisticated now and may want something more than costume changes and razzle dazzle--substance is real. I think as jill says she has to make the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I think audiences are more sophisticated now and may want something more than costume changes and razzle dazzle--substance is real. I think as jill says she has to make the effort.
    It just makes you think that all the costume changes are used as distractions. Why not stand there and sing. Her show sounds outdated, like something she has been putting out for years and years with not much new about it.

costumes as distractions? Isn't Mary Wilson touring costumes as a distraction from the fact that she never had a hit record of her own?...LOLOLOLOL

I can't comment on the review and show that started the thread but I did see Ross' 2011 show and it was wonderful. Yes, there were numerous costume changes, and they exceeded the limit early on. But she did change into a red Kimono-influenced simple little number that looked so absolutely perfect on her, it felt like I was seeing her for the first time. The dress sparkled like fireworks, in fire-engine red--so maybe it wasn't so simple after all. And then she changed into a blue number with matching shawl for her LADY SINGS THE BLUES section and she looked magnificent. But the show was very focused on performance and voice, and Ross performed and sounded spectacular. And she was full of surprises. During the Supremes' hits portion, a large screen opened behind her with an array of video clips of Mary, Flo, and Diana in performance and also kidding around. She later sang a complete version of DON'T EXPLAIN and mesmerized the audience with how beautifully she sang it. And at another point, she sang an extended rendition of Ashford & Simpson's IT'S MY HOUSE, and I didn't want it to end--it was just too good, a huge, unexpected inclusion. So, take whatever position you will. But the night I saw her show, she was the real deal. Admittedly, she still does a lot of material that she's always done--I suppose it's the nature of the one-night tour dates. And a concept show is something I'd look forward to seeing at this point. But when she sings and performs as I last saw her, it doesn't seem possible to me to dismiss her talents when they're in such force and effect.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 02-12-2013 at 04:00 AM.

Methuselah I couldn't agree more with your comments. I have seen Diana many times over the years - and the one thing that I take out of her shows is THE VOICE. Just that. I don't want pyrotechnics and dozens of semi naked dancers. Her shows are always just about having fun dancing in the aisles - and enjoying her amazing voice. And when she sings a ballad or a Holiday song, the control she has over her voice is mesmerising and beautiful.

i saw Diana in Atlantic City bout 2 years ago and she put on a great show and sang for nearly 2 hours.all the big hits and some lost gems such as COME SEE ABOUT ME,MY WORLD IS EMPTY,REFLECTIONS.
    she performed all her big solo hits plus newer songs from ILY cd. it was a great show and she sounded great.
    i would have preferred more of her recent songs rather than EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD/I WILL SURVIVE. but with her nearly 60 + albums how can we really complain. if she did all the hits,she would be on stage for days