[REMOVE ADS]

The Fuzz - San Jose Soul Jam

Surprise of the night. The Fuzz were excellent, and their renditions of their material were very true to the recordings. Sheila Young and Val Williams, original members, with a third member Dannie.... [[Barbara Gilliam died in 2008)
    Set list: Like An Open Door - Ooh Baby Baby- I Love You For All Seasons
    Left to Right - Sheila Dannie Val
    Name:  P1000399.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  78.2 KB

VAL
    Name:  P1000400.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  80.7 KB

DANNIE
    Name:  P1000401.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  73.9 KB
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-09-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Saw them at their debut appearance at the Apollo - circa 1970, they were really good then.

S.S.

Wow! Those songs are so much about being young that it's hard to imagine an older Val singing it. Is there any video from the concert? Why doesn't someone do an interview with them for crying out loud [[calling Marc).

mr-june, no video of The Fuzz from this concert as it was very much discouraged by the staff...... I did manage only the Originals [[already posted) and Zapp [[to be posted). cheers Mike

MikeW,

Thank you for the update on The Fuzz, one my my favorite groups, as well as one of my most frequently discussed groups. These girls are simply one of my favorites & my dream of someday seeing & meeting them has been one that I've had for many years. Unfortunately, Barbara's gone, so even if I could get to the West Coast where they do the majority of their shows, one member is gone, which is why I always wanted to get their story told.

May I make just one correction. The picture which is labelled as Val, is actually Sheila Young, writer & lead singer of most of their songs.

Mr. June,

I hear from Val from time-to-time. We've spoken on the phone, but usually correspond via e-mail. It was Val who informed me when Barbara passed away & it was my sad duty to have to pass that news on the internet.

I had written Sheila a few times over the years about discussing their career but Sheila didn't seem quite ready to get into that. When Barbara died, I did a tribute to her here, digging to find as much information about them as I could. Shortly after Barbara died, Sheila contacted me saying that she continually reads so much misinformation about their career & was about ready to set he record straight.

Unfortunately, when I switched phones, Radio Shack was supposed to transfer my contacts list. Unfortunately, they didn't copy the entire book & when I went back to my EVO, the entire phone had been wiped clean, taking both Val & Sheila's phone numbers with it.

But I'm not the type who gives up & I'm sure that both numbers reside somewhere in my 15,000+ e-mails, so I will reach out to Sheila again.

Here's the link to the 2 page tribute to Barbara from August 2008:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/178308/1...tml?1218918077

Hi Juice, sorry for my error, don't know how that occurred as I wrote down their names in the sequence they introduced themselves, so puzzled. The silver haired lady I labelled as Val was the primary lead on "Seasons", which I thought interesting as I knew the song was written by Sheila....... So I must have made that error.

You wrote a lot more on The Fuzz on SDF years ago and you really rate them highly, and you published a contemporary picture

http://faac.us/adf/messages/165088/1...tml?1206950015

Cheers Mike

Bloodstone were on the same bill as The Fuzz.... but did not give their own rendition of The Fuzz's signature song....