[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Debbie Dean

Debbie Dean

I'm wondering if there is much/anything left in the vaults by Debbie Dean. It was interesting to note that the 'motown unreleased - Girls' mp3s for 1962 included nothing by her [[I think that was the year she left Motown first time). I suppose that doesn't prove that there is nothing from '62, or even 1961, given that no mp3s were made available for the years prior to 1962.

Apart from the four singles A&B sides, DFTMC only has three other cuts listed; namely the three 'second time around' cuts which have appeared in the 'Cellarful' series. Are there possibly enough cuts still in the can covering both her Motown spells for a possible Ace collection in the future?

I am particularly interested in Debbie's 2nd spell at Motown. I am sure Debbie might have laid down a guide vocal on many of the compositions she wrote with Deke Richards. Perhaps these were recorded over?

Broadening the scope slightly,when you compile all the Dean/Richards[[Lussier) compositions in to a single list you have an impressive body of work. I'd even go as far as to say that this writer/composer team laid down some of the best material of the 67/68 period. A compilation of all these tracks [[released or otherwise) would be a very worthy project.

It would be nice to see a comp of her stuff out. I'd buy it.

I don't get her, never have. How and why was she signed to Motown and other, better singers weren't? She must have had somebody invest in the company for her. The Lewis Sisters are another act I don't get. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-10-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I don't get her, never have. How and why was she signed to Motown and other, better singers weren't? She must have had somebody invest in the company for her. The Lewis Sisters are another act I don't get.
    Apparently it wasn't until the second time around down in Los Angeles working alongside Deke Richards that Debbie discovered her voice, and the tracks she cut proved it.

The Lewis Sisters were better songwriters than performers, which is perhaps why Motown threw them a bone as an incentive to write more tunes.

The songwriting angle could be the reason why Debbie Dean was on Motown. It certainly explains how the Lewis Sisters got there.