[REMOVE ADS]

Donald Byrd death?

There is 'news' of the passing of Donald Byrd, with a funeral scheduled for 'next week' in Detroit. Death occurred in Delaware? Any confirmation, please, from local sources?

I googled his name and there were numerous 'confirmations' including wikipedia.

I searched the The Freep [[Detroit Free Press), and nothing comes up on Donald Byrd. Soooooooo.........

Ok now we have confirmation from a relative:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...byrd-jazz-dies

The influential jazz trumpeter Donald Byrd died on Monday at the age of 80, his nephew has said.

Alex Bugnon, a jazz pianist, reported his uncle's death on Thursday, though it has yet to be confirmed.

Bugnon wrote on his own Facebook page: "Donald passed away Monday in Delaware, where he lived. His funeral will be held in Detroit sometime next week. I have no more patience for this unnecessary shroud of secrecy placed over his death by certain members of his immediate family. "

Byrd was born Donaldson Toussaint L'Ouverture Byrd II in Detroit in 1932 and began his career with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers in the 1950s, performing alongside the likes of John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk and Herbie Hancock.

While his roots were in bebop he later became equally renowned for soul and funk, and particularly jazz fusion. He went on to become one of jazz label Blue Note's most significant artists, for whom he recorded most of his releases, including the 1973 album Black Byrd, which became the label's biggest ever seller.

Long after his commercial peak, Byrd's influence continued to be felt in popular music, sampled by hip-hop artists including Public Enemy, Nas, the Pharcyde and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien and house producer Armand Van Helden.

Byrd's legacy is summed up by his nephew's Facebook tribute: "Let's remember Donald as a one of a kind pioneer of the trumpet, of the many styles of music he took on, of music education. In sum, Donald was an avid, eternal student of music, until his death. That's what I try to be, everyday!! Rest in peace, uncle!"

Yea, it has been confirmed. My jazz station, wbgo and alternate, wkcr both cited his passing
    today. Donald lived a full life and was loved by so many, here today and many who left us
    sooner...RIP...

"Flight Time" will always be a favorite of mine. Thank you Donald Bryd!!!

Donald Byrd as in "Walking In Rhythm"??? MANNN, they're dropping flies...

RIP Blackbyrd.

The FREEP's Donald Byrd photo tribute:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...2080801&Ref=PH

WOW this has been a secret. I wonder what's up with that. He is a legend who needs to be celebrated. By the way, never knew that he was from Detroit.