[REMOVE ADS]

The Lewis Sisters

Wondering if there is anything unreleased left the The Lewis Sisters.....they were such good singers with great harmonies. Everything I have ever heard by them is amazing.....You Need Me one of my all time favourite Motown songs. Don't Make Me Live Without Your Love on Cellarful Of Motown.....such a strong song that sounds great every time I hear it and I never get tired of hearing it.

They also wrote some great songs.....Martha & the Vandellas Happiness Is Guaranteed for one which could have been such a big hit around the time it was released on Watchout! Gladys Knight & the Pips Just Walk In My Shoes which of course was a hit. I would love to hear more of their Motown recordings if there is anything left to release!

I believe that there are at least 2 remaining including "Tell Me" and "Balloons" and possibly a version of "Come Into My Palace"

Do a search in the archives on SDF.

There is a CD from Japan called Way Far Out. Definitely not Motown material. But, I like it. You can buy it on Amazon for too much money. Or download it for $5.99. There also seems to be a fair amount of their stuff on iTunes.

A list of their songs from allmusic.com http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-l...00770901/songs
    Last edited by MotownSteve; 02-06-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Does anyone know how they're doing these days? There's been an "official website" "in construction" for years now, are they behind that?

http://thelewissisters.com/

I have the Way Far Out album and enjoy listening to it. Some interesting facts on The Lewis Sisters with the following link

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-lewis-sisters

not to be argumentive but where was "Just Walk In My Shoes" ,the first release by Gladys Knight & the Pips on Motowns Soul label, considered a "hit". I have a promo copy that a dj gave me at the time of release as was never played on the local radio stations & never saw it on any National charts.Just wondering , even their next release "Take Me In Your Arms & Love Me" was not a hit here in the States.I think it sold more copies in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    not to be argumentive but where was "Just Walk In My Shoes" ,the first release by Gladys Knight & the Pips on Motowns Soul label, considered a "hit". I have a promo copy that a dj gave me at the time of release as was never played on the local radio stations & never saw it on any National charts.Just wondering , even their next release "Take Me In Your Arms & Love Me" was not a hit here in the States.I think it sold more copies in the UK.
    Ok admitted Just Walk In My Shoes wasn't a huge hit but it reached No35 in the UK in June 1972 after much popularity for a number of years on the Northern Soul circuit. Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me reached No13 in the UK June 1967

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  21.1 KB
    They only played "Just Walk In My Shoes" a couple times on WVON, but "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" was a minor hit, which I heard on WVON[[Chicago), and KGFJ in L.A., and KDIA [[Oakland), and Soul stations in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and Indianapolis. In which state were you located. Motony?

According to The Complete Motown Singles, "Just Walk in My Shoes" reached #129 and "Take Me in Your Arms And Love Me" reached #98 on the Pop chart. So not big hits, but they both charted which is something.

I'm a Floridian, Robb. Central Florida[[Orlando) but also lived in Jacksonville,Miami area in early 60's. From what I remember in the 60's a 45 had to sell approx. 50,000. copies to really break even...such as "Needle In A Haystack" by the Velvelettes which reached #45 on the Hot 100.Now that was a fair size hit in Miami reaching #12 on WQAM the big Pop Station.

...back to the Lewis Sisters:how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FwobE52vLE

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    ...back to the Lewis Sisters:how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FwobE52vLE
    Thanks for posting this 'psychedelic jacques'..........loved it

Didn't realise The Lewis Sisters also wrote one of my favorite tracks on The Supremes Right On album........Baby Baby!

Does anyone know of any other Motown songs The Lewis Sisters wrote apart from ones mentioned above?

Quote Originally Posted by cheekylincs View Post
    Does anyone know of any other Motown songs The Lewis Sisters wrote apart from ones mentioned above?
    This Love Starved Heart of Mine [[It's Killing Me), sung by Marvin Gaye

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    This Love Starved Heart of Mine [[It's Killing Me), sung by Marvin Gaye
    Ah yes - great song sung magnificently by Marvin Gaye - should have been huge

Are the Lewis Sisters still with us?

Just doing a quick check - I can't say that I didn't miss some titles here - I came up with the following titles written by the Lewis Sisters and released back in the day:
    Baby Baby - The Miracles, The Supremes
    Happiness is Guaranteed [[co-written with Ivy Jo Hunter) - Martha & The Vandellas
    He's An Oddball - The Lewis Sisters
    Here Are The Pieces of My Broken Heart - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Just Walk In My Shoes - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Where Were You - Brenda Holloway
    I See A Rainbow - Brenda Holloway, Blinky & Edwin Starr
    Can't We Be Strangers Again - Blinky & Edwin Starr

And then a few more titles that were only released decades later:
    Break Away - The Lewis Sisters
    Choo Choo Train - Little Lisa
    I Can't Erase The Way I Feel - Martha & the Vandellas
    My World Is Crumbling - Brenda Holloway
    This Love Starved Heart [[It's Killing Me) - Marvin Gaye

And there's one more track they wrote that is still unreleased:
    Balloons - The Lewis Sisters

Not so much, actually, though again I may have missed some titles.

I also see that they wrote a couple of songs for The Osmonds and Donny Osmond back in 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Are the Lewis Sisters still with us?
    I also asked about this. It seemed that an official website was started a few years ago, and I guess they were behind it because it is copyrighted by The Lewis Sisters. But work on it stopped and it still says "Coming Soon in 2011".
    http://thelewissisters.com/

It would be great to hear that they are doing well.

Brenda Holloway's version of "I See A Rainbow", which Calvin mentions above, is superb.

Just doing a quick check - I can't say that I didn't miss some titles here - I came up with the following titles written by the Lewis Sisters and released back in the day:
    Baby Baby - The Miracles, The Supremes
    Happiness is Guaranteed [[co-written with Ivy Jo Hunter) - Martha & The Vandellas
    He's An Oddball - The Lewis Sisters
    Here Are The Pieces of My Broken Heart - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Just Walk In My Shoes - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Where Were You - Brenda Holloway
    I See A Rainbow - Brenda Holloway, Blinky & Edwin Starr
    Can't We Be Strangers Again - Blinky & Edwin Starr

And then a few more titles that were only released decades later:
    Break Away - The Lewis Sisters
    Choo Choo Train - Little Lisa
    I Can't Erase The Way I Feel - Martha & the Vandellas
    My World Is Crumbling - Brenda Holloway
    This Love Starved Heart [[It's Killing Me) - Marvin Gaye

And there's one more track they wrote that is still unreleased:
    Balloons - The Lewis Sisters

Not so much, actually, though again I may have missed some titles.

I also see that they wrote a couple of songs for The Osmonds and Donny Osmond back in 1972.
    Thank you for bringing the above songs to my attention......they really wrote some great Motown songs and I didn't realise about the Brenda Holloway songs

Looks like a complete list so far, Calvin. You never know your luck, maybe Ace will add a couple more later on in the year ... !

Btw, altho there's an acetate out there somewhere, efforts to find a vault recording of "Balloons" have sadly proved unsuccessful, to date.

I've never heard "Balloons". What does the acetate sound like?

The Lewis Sisters also wrote "Lay Your Feelings On Me" on Billy Preston's The Way I Am album.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Here Are The Pieces of My Broken Heart" was also recorded by Brenda Holloway. We recorded that for inclusion in "From The Vaults".

Wow that is such a pity that it didnt make it to the album we all missed a brilliant track there Rob. Why was it cut from the released abum Rob and which version were you planning to use? I cant believe it still has not had an official release after all these years.

Robb could you please, please write a book.

Well that turned out to be a really interesting thread and I found out a lot that I didn't know about The Lewis Sisters so thank you all for taking time out to post. I am going to put together a playlist with all their songs on including the ones that they wrote for other artists so I can enjoy all of their music in one place. Would love to hear Balloons if it ever sees the light of day!

Yes great thread you started cheekylincs. Let's also hope to see that unreleased Brenda Holloway track!

The question left unanswered is, are they still with us? Let's hope that they are both well.

Yes great thread you started cheekylincs. Let's also hope to see that unreleased Brenda Holloway track!

The question left unanswered is, are they still with us? Let's hope that they are both well.
    That would be good to see both Balloon and the Brenda Holloway track finally released

I cannot find out anything about what they are doing these days so yes 'calvin' you are right - that is the only remaining question!