[REMOVE ADS]

Two album maximum

I was at a reception the other week and "In My House" by the Mary Jane Girls came on and the people hit the dance floor. Listening to the Michael Baisden radio show the other day and he played "Boys" by the Mary Jane Girls. This week alone I have heard "Candy Man" and "All Night Long" at very random locations [[one at the Dollar Store). Thinking about it, these ladies only released two albums and really made some memorable music that has stood the test of time. Can you think of any other artists that have only released two albums and made an impact?

The Ronettes. 1 on Colpix, 1 on Philles.Ofcoure in the 60's 45's were king.

Excellent thread! I just wish I could think of something.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I was at a reception the other week and "In My House" by the Mary Jane Girls came on and the people hit the dance floor. Listening to the Michael Baisden radio show the other day and he played "Boys" by the Mary Jane Girls. This week alone I have heard "Candy Man" and "All Night Long" at very random locations [[one at the Dollar Store). Thinking about it, these ladies only released two albums and really made some memorable music that has stood the test of time. Can you think of any other artists that have only released two albums and made an impact?
    Not counting retrospectives or greatest hits or records made when artists/ groups recorded under different names :

Anacostia, Norman Feels, Brenda and Tabulations, Charles Brimmer, Creme D'Cocoa, Ebonys, New York City, Geater Davis, William Devaughn, Dynamics, Dee Edwards, John Edwards, Elusion, Greg Perry, Barbara Jean English, Facts Of Life, Stu Gardner, Paulette Reaves, Imaginations, Jimmy Briscoe & Little Beavers, Royalettes, Al Johnson, Lou Johnson, Lil Bob & Lollipops, Shorty Long, Lost Generation, Love Committee, Ann Sexton.

I realise the "impact " bit is subjective but all these artists made an impact on ME.

Vanity 6 and Appolonia 6 were kind of the same group. I guess I can count them.

I have to dig into this one, but I consider The Time's first two LPs differently than their later work because without Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, I don't think of them as the same group. But that evades the spirit of the post, so I'll scratch my head on it.

smark21 Guest
    Not soul/r and b, but the definitive answer to your question is Joy Division, the post punk band from Manchester UK who released two albums plus a handful of singles and an EP between 77 and 80. The band’s career came to an end when their lead singer and lyricist killed himself. But their work has been hugely influential in Indie Rock circles and a number of books have been published about them as well as two feature films and a documentary. Talk about making your mark with just two albums.

A related question would be what artists/groups should have stopped after two albums? Top of my list would be En Vogue, who were never able to top their first two albums.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    A related question would be what artists/groups should have stopped after two albums? Top of my list would be En Vogue, who were never able to top their first two albums.
    LOL, wow I have to agree that EnVogue's music was pretty much downhill after Funky Divas with the exception of "Runaway Love" and "Don't Let Go"

Off the top of my head I'd say Jeannie Renolds, LJ's late sister, did it for me...

.....Rainy Davis???

Not sure in overall impact [[probably known today for Mariah Carey's INFERIOR "Sweetheart" cover), but just have to say SWEETHEART is one of my favorite albums ever! Within only two albums - Sweetheart, then Ouch, I assume the latter's faded her to obscurity since - but still - "Sweetheart", "4-Ever", "Love-At-Last", "Lowdown So-And-So", "Indian Giver", "Ouch" - Rainy Davis - purely a "Sweetheart" on voice and fashion - deserved better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cNwKdIvB5Q

Just thought about it.. D'Angelo only released two albums [[cd's). There is a legion of fans [[including myself) anxiously awaiting the third