[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JIVE FIVE Mary G. View Post
    I like your choices, soulster, and listed Bruno Mars, too. He is multi-talented and has an appreciation for old school music. Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

Unfortunately, the majority of Mars' music, IMO, doesn't demonstrate the full capacity of his immense talent. I'm not saying it's bad music, but he's not living up to his potential. But, he also has to make a living. BTW, he is a co-writer in Cee Lo Green's "F**k You".

I would tend to agree, soulster. However, he does some pretty gutsy things on stage. At the 2011 Grammys her performed "Grenade" doo wop style and brought the house down. He may be hampered by his managment and record label. Many artists suffer that fate. He has great potential for sure.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Yeah, just wanna say, of current, I'm still only twenty-seven [[perhaps still, although late, of today's music's demographics), but at fourteen, I opened my eyes [[or ears, so to speak), and realized "MAN, TODAY'S MUSIC SUCKS!" That was when, on my search for "beautiful music", I've discovered Motown, Temptations and the Supremes, also spent my late Junior High year listening to Barry White hahaha.

Even around 2006, when I briefly tried an effort to consistently listen to today's "popular music" radio stations - not just Jammin' Oldies / Classic Soul / Mix stations, I eventually once again re-inforced that "today's music just doesn't have as much quality, substance" when it was "Pussycat Dolls", "Pretty Ricky", "Usher Raymond" [[when it was "Confessions"), yes, even "Outkast" and "Blackeyed Peas" are just annoying to my ears.
    I'm always pleased to hear someone so young appreciates our music. You're not alone. I know artists on the "oldies" curcut are seeing young folks in their audiences.

I think it's safe to say all, if not most of us here, prefer old school music.

~~Mary~~

Cody ChesnuTT

Kings Go Fourth

Monophonics

Cookin' On 3 Burners

Anyone watching the Grammys right now can plainly see that there is a wealth of great talent among the younger generation today. Kelly Clarkson was great a few minutes ago, and Rihanna, once again, proved she can sing. Alicia Keys was great. I could go on...

Here's some of my personal favorites from the present.
    Last edited by jboy88; 02-11-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators -- great voice and great sound.
    DeRobert & the Half Truths -- from Nashville. DeRobert has to be heard to be believed.
    Eli "Paperboy" Reed & the True Loves -- cool blue-eyed soul

+ any artist on the Daptone label

Did anyone list Anthony Hamilton? [[Didn't see him.)

The pickins are slim for me umm lets see...alicia keys-jennifer hudson-john legend-beyonce-adele-the root.

Yes, R&B, "The Roots" are dynamite.
    We got to work with 'Quest?Love', fun, fun, fun!!!
    S.S.
    Name:  nea 2012 014.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  37.4 KB

Raphael Saadiq

Thank you MadLad, jboy88, jdwheat, and arr&bee [[the hootch man) and caliluv for your contributions. Much appreciated. You're intorducing me to some artists I didn't know.

Great photo, Soul Sister!

~~Mary~~

BTW, soulster,

Right on re Kelly Clarkson at the Grammy's. She was superb, just like she was at President Obama's Inauguration. She blew it out of the park on both occasions.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Raphael Saadiq
    I love Raphael Saadiq and he puts on an awesome show . Between his Tony Toni Tone background and solo career, he's been around about 20 years