[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soap Talk

Soap Talk

My name is Michele Val Jean and I've been a soap writer for 20+ years. I started off in nighttime with 2 episodes of Jake & The Fatman, but I always loved daytime [[grandma watched, mother watched, you know the drill) and that was my ultimate goal.

At that time I was the assistant to the Exec Producer/Head Writer on Jake so I used the connections I had to get an agent, and my first staff job on Generations. When that got cancelled, I moved to Santa Barbara. When THAT got cancelled, I moved to General Hospital, where I stayed for 19 years. My biggest claim to fame there was I became the first and only black head writer in the history of daytime - that still stands - but my tenure got caught up in a regime change and unfortunately [[or fortunately, it's a LOT of work) it didn't last long.

I left GH last year and am currently writing scripts for Bold & Beautiful - a very different show from anything I've ever done before, but I absolutely love it.

I'm starting this thread in case there are any soap fans with questions about the writing process, or characters you love or hate, or what it takes to produce 5 hours of television a week, or anything I can answer without giving stuff away. Always keeping in mind, this old memory isn't what it used to be!

Kind of like a workshop, Misty. Cool.

Hi Misty...Wondering if you know a buddy of mine...John Homa? He's a top notch acting coach for soaps and I believe that General Hospital is one of the shows he's worked on.

That's cool Misty! I haven't watched Soaps since I watched Another World with my Mom in the 70s when i was off from school for the Summer. But, I did see Jack Wagner is returning to General Hospital.

StuBass, yes! I know John. We worked together for many years. I don't think he's at GH anymore? There was a big housecleaning over there when the new exec producer and headwriter took over last year. He's terrific and helped the younger, more inexperienced actors so much when they first came on.

Hi gary. Yes, Jack is back! Twitter's all aflutter over it. Interesting because he has to work with Kristina Wagner, his ex-wife. Frisco & Felicia ain't the real life couple they used to be. LOL! Sometimes what goes on behind the scenes is more interesting than what's on the air - especially on GH. LOL!

I used to play golf with John and his son Max when he was a wee kid just starting out. Max has gone on to become one of the top Jr golfers in the country and is the top player for the University Of California at Berkely.

Hey Misty,

What a great idea for a thread. As you know I love the day time dramas and often prefer them to much of the night time fare.

Since we're friends, I want to brag on you a little. Folks should know you've won several day time Emmy's for your work. No small feat in such a competitive business. I'm so pleased you're happy with your new position at B&B, which I try to watch regularly, since it follows my other favorite Y&R.

Santa Barbara was my favorite soap of them all. I don't watch GH as much as I used to, but I'm glad it's the one reamaining soap on ABC.

I know you wrote entire scripts for GH and worked with Billy Dee Williams when he did a guest stint on the show. Could you let us know when an episode of B&B comes up where you've written the entire show?

~~Mary~~
    Last edited by JIVE FIVE Mary G.; 02-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Hi StuBass,

It's good to see you again.

~~Mary~~

Hi Mary...new username huh???

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    I left GH last year and am currently writing scripts for Bold & Beautiful - a very different show from anything I've ever done before, but I absolutely love it.

I'm starting this thread in case there are any soap fans with questions about the writing process, or characters you love or hate, or what it takes to produce 5 hours of television a week, or anything I can answer without giving stuff away. Always keeping in mind, this old memory isn't what it used to be!
    Hi,

I guess I don't have anything to add except that I was a loyal viewer of the B&B since its first episode in the mid-80s. However, I quit watching it for good last year because of the constant stupidity of the Ridge character bouncing back and forth from Brooke to Taylor. It got old about 20 years ago. The story lines became absurd.

I know Ronn Moss is no longer on the show, as is Susan Flannery, but if you can help provide some meaty reasons for me to return to watching, i'll give it a new chance.

Right now, the only soap I watch is Y&R. I've been watching that since the 80s too.

BTW, I was a huge fan of Santa Barbara until they changed the show after the writer's strike. What made that show so cool was that it was a comedy. The Gina and Keith characters were the best!

I am a Black male who holds a full-time job and my last girlfriend was horrified that I watch those things. Would you believe that my father, a two war vet from the deep south, also watched Y&R? His favorite character? Victor Newman, and i'm not surprised. He is an asshole, just like my father was.

For all of you who are surprised that I watch soaps, surprise!
    Last edited by soulster; 02-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Hi Stu,

Yes, there's an explanation in the New Members thread. I see no reason not to use my real name, and it's more appropriate for what I'm doing these days.

~~Mary~~

Mary, my next air dates are 2/12, 2/18 and 2/26. And thanks so much for tooting my horn! You're a good friend.
    soulster - My boss Brad Bell is very fond of triangles. LOL! Hence the second generation Liam/Steffy/Hope configuration. That story is moving in interesting ways. And the canvas is more balanced now with the loss of Ronn and Susan. Bill and Katie are moving more to the front, Brooke is featured heavily, we have a couple of new interesting black characters that are involved with Dayzee/Marcus. There's infighting at Forrester for control of the company and we've reignited the Brooke/Taylor rivalry. [[And Taylor's sitting pretty right now because she and Eric took 'comfort' in each other after Stephanie died). Give us another shot. You might like what you see.
    Santa Barbara ran into a lot of problems when the creators Bridget & Jerry Dobson kept getting fired and new people came in. No one knew what that show was supposed to be except the Dobsons. They were brilliant.
    I know lots of men who watch soaps. When I was a singer in a rock band back in the 70's, slowly but surely I got all the guys hooked on them too! One time we were taking off on a road trip and nobody would leave until Rich Man Poor Man was over! [[nighttime soap but same idea).

Hi Misty,
    Great thread! I am glad your posting about your career, you deserve all the accolades, you work hard, GF.
    Like you I watched the old soaps with my Grandmother while I was a toddler and small child, I got hooked to, lol. I loved Santa Barbara when it was on. I watched the Young & the Restless since the beginning. Sometimes I watch the Bold & the Beautiful too, so does Jimmy lol..... I am so glad you let us know which episodes you wrote coming up, I'll make sure I watch them!
    "Rich Man Poor Man" was a good one too!!

Love You!
    S.S.

Santa Barbara ran into a lot of problems when the creators Bridget & Jerry Dobson kept getting fired and new people came in. No one knew what that show was supposed to be except the Dobsons. They were brilliant.
    Perhaps the Dobsons were a bit ahead of their time. Maybe the usual daytime audience wasn't quite ready for what they offered. Perhaps they should have configured the show for prime-time because Melrose Place, somewhat along the same lines as far as the gags and twisted characters were concerned, flourished in the 90s.

I agree - definitely ahead of their time. Bit of trivia - did you know Bridget's parents created GH? Frank & Doris Hursley.

I agree - definitely ahead of their time. Bit of trivia - did you know Bridget's parents created GH? Frank & Doris Hursley.
    Well, i'm not that into soaps. I just watch 'em.

This isn't part of your game, but the situation with Victoria Rowell and Y&R has been full of drama.

Yeah, a lot of drama. That's all I'll say! LOL

Mary, I'm having a delayed reaction to your earlier post and would like to take the opportunity to clarify. At least 4 people are involved in every day that airs:

1. Head Writer. In our case that's Brad Bell. It's his vision we're there to serve, so all story lines come from him.
    2. Outline writer. On most shows there's a team of them - on our show, just one guy who basically writes up notes that tell us who the characters are in our day, what sets we're using, and what needs to happen.
    3. Script writer. That person is responsible for turning what's in the outline [[or notes) into action and dialogue. And
    4. Script editor. Once the script is turned it, this writer makes whatever changes might be necessary for continuity or because the head writer changed his/her mind or because the script is too long/too short, etc.
    So no script writer really writes the entire show.
    Hope that made sense!

That's an amazing amount of work, and a lot of stress!

I will give B&B another chance soon. It's sweeps period, so now is probably the time.

Michele Van Jean, that name is familiar. I've been looking at this thread for a while, I'd love to know a lot of things, don't know how to frame the questions? Here's a few things I've always wondered about.

I was one of the people who liked an actress Jennifer Bransford who played Carly on General Hospital. Her exit seemed especially mean-spirited and seemed to be blamed on one person. Are exits like that typical or is it because this one just closely watched...

One of my favorite characters was Mason Capwell, especially when Lane Davies played him. He of course was replaced by Terry Lester for a bit. Me, I don't think it worked, that's just my opinion of course. How did other people feel about it then, this is pre-internet [[for me) so I don't have any idea. I do think Gordon Thomson did some nice work, especially during the dinner party episodes...

Thank you

zebop: Jennifer just didn't work in the role of Carly. She was inexperienced and the volume of work was hard for her to get through. Her exit was rather abrupt but once the decision was made to replace her, they wanted to do it quickly and put Laura Wright in the role before they lost the opportunity. Typical? It happens sometimes but it's usually a more gradual fade.

I loved Lane as Mason, too. And I agree - Terry didn't do it for me, either. A lot of people felt differently and thought he was wonderful. Gordon saved that character for me. If you remember that was another abrupt recast. Terry Lester fell down on the docks and when he got up, he was Gordon! Always thought that was such classic Santa Barbara sensibility. Those Dobsons were wacky.

I believe those dinner party scenes - written by the incomparable Patrick Mulcahey - still stand as the most brilliant writing daytime's ever seen.

Or did Jennifer replace Sarah the first time and they wanted Tamara. Can't remember. But you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by zebop View Post
    One of my favorite characters was Mason Capwell, especially when Lane Davies played him. He of course was replaced by Terry Lester for a bit. Me, I don't think it worked, that's just my opinion of course. How did other people feel about it then, this is pre-internet [[for me) so I don't have any idea. I do think Gordon Thomson did some nice work, especially during the dinner party episodes...
    I hear ya about Lane Davies' version of Mason Capwell. He was perfect for the part. Terry Lester had just stepped out of Y&R as Jack Abbott. Allegedly, he was unhappy there because he felt so much camera time was given to Lauralee Bell [[Christine "Cricket"/the Bug), who was related to William Bell, the creator of that, and the B&B soap.

zebop: Jennifer just didn't work in the role of Carly. She was inexperienced and the volume of work was hard for her to get through. Her exit was rather abrupt but once the decision was made to replace her, they wanted to do it quickly and put Laura Wright in the role before they lost the opportunity. Typical? It happens sometimes but it's usually a more gradual fade.

I loved Lane as Mason, too. And I agree - Terry didn't do it for me, either. A lot of people felt differently and thought he was wonderful. Gordon saved that character for me. If you remember that was another abrupt recast. Terry Lester fell down on the docks and when he got up, he was Gordon! Always thought that was such classic Santa Barbara sensibility. Those Dobsons were wacky.

I believe those dinner party scenes - written by the incomparable Patrick Mulcahey - still stand as the most brilliant writing daytime's ever seen.

Ok, thank you! That's what happened with Jennifer, now I remember a lot of people not thinking it was a great fit. She replaced Tamara Braun who had taken over from Sarah Brown.

Yep, I remember that scene with the Terry Lester/Gordon Thomson switch, hilarious. Got to say I was relived. As a fan [[of television?) Terry's stint as Mason was often very tiresome to watch. The whole family dynamic seemed off, Mason and Julia were too "cutesy" with him, IMO. I do think Gordon did a much better job, that dinner party proved that, I loved those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I hear ya about Lane Davies' version of Mason Capwell. He was perfect for the part. Terry Lester had just stepped out of Y&R as Jack Abbott. Allegedly, he was unhappy there because he felt so much camera time was given to Lauralee Bell [[Christine "Cricket"/the Bug), who was related to William Bell, the creator of that, and the B&B soap.
    Yep, that's the way I feel too, Davies really had an interesting chemistry with Nancy Lee Grahn too. I found Davies's version of Mason just one of the coolest characters ever

Uh huh, Terry wasn't happy about Cricket's camera time. Strange Peter Bergman replaced Terry Lester, 20 odd years ago and he's still there? Amazing....

Strange Peter Bergman replaced Terry Lester, 20 odd years ago and he's still there? Amazing....
    Bergman does an excellent job playing Jack Abbott. And, the mutual contempt he and Hans Gudegast [[Eric Braden) share for each other provides the perfect friction for the show. That's why he's been doing it for over 20 years.

Bergman does an excellent job playing Jack Abbott. And, the mutual contempt he and Hans Gudegast [[Eric Braden) share for each other provides the perfect friction for the show. That's why he's been doing it for over 20 years.
    Bergman's very fun to watch too. I even liked him as Cliff Warner. Bergman came from a tough situation with AMC and the backlash over the Cliff/Angie relationship. While at first blush I wouldn't have though Peter would have been a good Jack Abbott, he's made more than made it his own.

Bergman's very fun to watch too. I even liked him as Cliff Warner. Bergman came from a tough situation with AMC and the backlash over the Cliff/Angie relationship. While at first blush I wouldn't have though Peter would have been a good Jack Abbott, he's made more than made it his own.
    I was actually horrified when Bergman first popped up as Jack Abbott on Y&R. I forget what the storyline was, but it was in a courtroom, and he wasn't expected to show up for testimony, or something like that. First thing I thought was that this guy has too much hair and looks like a clown.

I remember being puzzled about casting Peter Bergman in that role too, but he's come to embody it. Actually, he's been good in it from the beginning. Such a departure from Cliff, too. Sign of a good actor.

Here's a few more questions...

On Santa Barbara, A Martinez and Marcy Walker were one of my favorite couples, they had some intense and very good chemistry. Did anyone [[fans, network, etc) have a problem with them as a couple. I didn't "love" the way she exited and despite the love interests, her absence seemed to hang over the show at times...

Who was your favorite Carly to write for on GH, if you can say. I know who my favorite is, Sarah Brown. Although it's the same character, the actresses made it so different.

I never felt any resistance to Cruz & Eden as a couple. They were pretty much universally loved by all. But I wasn't there when they started, so I might have missed something. Very special chemistry and yes, she was missed after she left.

I'd have to say it's a toss-up between Sarah and Laura. Both actresses are so balls-out and fearless. Makes them fun to write for because they'll tackle anything and make it work, even if it's seemingly 'out of character'. [[Though what would be out of character for Carly is hard to imagine, since she's so complicated)

I never felt any resistance to Cruz & Eden as a couple. They were pretty much universally loved by all.
    This brings up an interesting issue in some soaps.

The Eden and Cruz characters didn't bother anyone because it was a Latino and White person. Now, I don't know about most soaps, but on my soap of choice, Black men and White women never get together unless the characters are seriously flawed and/or the relationship is doomed. Seems to me that the 21st century still has yet to hit these writers and/or the audiences. It seems to me like the writers want to "go there", but they back off every time. They'll for Black women/White men, or even gay couples, but not that 'other" one.

Not nearly enough of it, but currently on GH, Nancy Lee Grah's Alexis is having an affair with Shawn Blakemore's Shawn. And on B&B, Texas Battle's Marcus has a kid with Adrienne Franz' Amber. Also on GH, Alexis' daughter Molly is involved with a black teen named Trey. So it does happen.

Not nearly enough of it, but currently on GH, Nancy Lee Grah's Alexis is having an affair with Shawn Blakemore's Shawn. And on B&B, Texas Battle's Marcus has a kid with Adrienne Franz' Amber. Also on GH, Alexis' daughter Molly is involved with a black teen named Trey. So it does happen.
    Concerning Amber: that character has had one of the most soiled reputations on two soaps now. Why can't one the pure, White girls be hooked up with a good Black guy?

Rick Springfield is returning to General Hospital, and his son is joining.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_james View Post
    Rick Springfield is returning to General Hospital, and his son is joining.
    So did he give up on trying to come back with his music?

soulster, they don't get any purer than Molly on GH.
    Rick Springfield still performs and records. He's coming back to GH for the 50th anniversary.

Loved A. Martinez on S.B. and in other films too!!
    What's happened to him?

S.S.

[QUOTE=Soul Sister;150373]Loved A. Martinez on S.B. and in other films too!!
    What's happened to him?

S.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Martinez
    According to Wiki, He hasn't done much in the last couple of years.

A few independent films, couple of guest appearances on B&B. Really fine actor who should be working more. Also a genuinely nice person. Very spiritual guy.

Hey, Michele... great to see you here! Yes, A Martinez is a great actor, and DAMN FINE! Good to see you writing B&B, it's the only soap I can watch anymore, it actually still looks and feels like a Bell soap. For me, production values sometimes is just as important as writing, and Y&R has just been ruined by this GOD AWFUL score that Jill Faren Phelps has brought in. Background score can make or break a show, and this one is broken by what they are using. B&B never had stellar score, but defiantely nice, and nothing that was intrusive or jolting, or worked against the writing. I so miss the classic gothic Y&R that John Conboy designed with his production stlye, and that remained very similar well past the year 2000. This clip is just audio, and shows so clearly what I'm talking about, and notice how well this plays as just a radio play! The music and dialogue when Liz is telling Suzanne about how people can come back to the homes they lived in after they have died, trying to find peace. It's so good it makes your skin crawl:

One big question I have for you, is this: Do you feel that soap might benefit from going back to 30 minutes? I feel in today's society, perhaps a 60 minute soap is too much of a time committment for most people, how do you feel about it, and do you think it would save enough money to make some shows more viable for a longer time? I have a fear that in 10 years, daytime will be nothing but talk shows, judge shows, a game show or two, and about half infomercials.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 03-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Thank you, soulster & misty.

I kinda get that he would be spiritual, he's sexy too, lol!!
    Would be great to see him work more. Great actor, I agree.

S.S.

Well, i'm not that into soaps. I just watch 'em.

This isn't part of your game, but the situation with Victoria Rowell and Y&R has been full of drama.
    Soulster, what's your take on the situation? I think she has paranoia issues, myself.

A few independent films, couple of guest appearances on B&B. Really fine actor who should be working more. Also a genuinely nice person. Very spiritual guy.
    He's very cool.

This brings up an interesting issue in some soaps.

The Eden and Cruz characters didn't bother anyone because it was a Latino and White person. Now, I don't know about most soaps, but on my soap of choice, Black men and White women never get together unless the characters are seriously flawed and/or the relationship is doomed. Seems to me that the 21st century still has yet to hit these writers and/or the audiences. It seems to me like the writers want to "go there", but they back off every time. They'll for Black women/White men, or even gay couples, but not that 'other" one.
    Sadly a lot of the viewers don't seem to like it. On message board they often whine and complain about the very idea of it. On DOOL when it looked like Abe and Kayla were going to hang out, people didn't like it. They also had a crying fit over an ATWT story with Doc Reese/Jessica/Margo. Not surprisingly when the show ended, the cast seemed to be completely white--something that was truly shocking in this day and age.

Sadly a lot of the viewers don't seem to like it. On message board they often whine and complain about the very idea of it. On DOOL when it looked like Abe and Kayla were going to hang out, people didn't like it. They also had a crying fit over an ATWT story with Doc Reese/Jessica/Margo. Not surprisingly when the show ended, the cast seemed to be completely white--something that was truly shocking in this day and age.
    It's kind of interesting that Hollywood would force every other thing on the viewers except that. C'mon! You know a lot of them would bellyache about gay relationships but you still see a lot of them on the screen, healthy ones, too.

From the message boards I read, the complaints were almost always exclusively from the south. So, why can't these people be dragged into the 21st century? Or...maybe it's the writers and producers who have a problem with it. There is still a lot of racism in the TV industry.

It's kind of interesting that Hollywood would force every other thing on the viewers except that. C'mon! You know a lot of them would bellyache about gay relationships but you still see a lot of them on the screen, healthy ones, too.

From the message boards I read, the complaints were almost always exclusively from the south. So, why can't these people be dragged into the 21st century? Or...maybe it's the writers and producers who have a problem with it. There is still a lot of racism in the TV industry.
    Well, some of it goes deeper. There's some unhinged people out there. [[on Y&R) back in the late 90's, when Neil and Victoria were invovled, Kristoff St. John and Heather Tom received threats during that storyline.... I am told that is one of the main reasons it ended.

Hey jillfoster. I agree with you about production values. One of the things I love about B&B is how beautiful it is to watch. Brad Bell really believes in exteriors opening up the show - and the houses we use for location shoots are usually his! Saves money.
    I was never a fan of JPF's musical choices, but she takes a lot of pride in them. Whatever.
    Re 30 minute format - It would definitely save money. The newly rebooted AMC and OLTL are both 30 minutes, I believe. I could be wrong. On the other hand, there's a bit of a resurgence in soaps' popularity right now, so if we can hang on to that upswing - it might not matter. There's a lot to be said for the 30 minute format though. It moves right along, no time for stuff that doesn't matter.

Hey jillfoster. I agree with you about production values. One of the things I love about B&B is how beautiful it is to watch. Brad Bell really believes in exteriors opening up the show - and the houses we use for location shoots are usually his! Saves money.
    I was never a fan of JPF's musical choices, but she takes a lot of pride in them. Whatever.
    Re 30 minute format - It would definitely save money. The newly rebooted AMC and OLTL are both 30 minutes, I believe. I could be wrong. On the other hand, there's a bit of a resurgence in soaps' popularity right now, so if we can hang on to that upswing - it might not matter. There's a lot to be said for the 30 minute format though. It moves right along, no time for stuff that doesn't matter.
    I totally agree, Brad's exterior shots are always so bright and beautiful, flowers abound in those exteriors, just lovely. the 30 minute format is something that Bill Bell himself didn't want to leave, he flat out refused, but CBS strong armed him into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Well, some of it goes deeper. There's some unhinged people out there. [[on Y&R) back in the late 90's, when Neil and Victoria were invovled, Kristoff St. John and Heather Tom received threats during that storyline.... I am told that is one of the main reasons it ended.
    Death threats. Many, many actors get death threats for a variety of reasons, and it didn't stop them from doing what they do. On top of that, someone should have made an effort to track these people down and arrest them. Since they have mixed couple on other soaps, methinks there were people on the inside that just didn't want it. They backed off too easily. Haters gonna hate!

I think it's a combination of both. I just don't think a lot of those folks in that old boy's network wanted to see interracial dating or an ethnic leading man. I can think of many instances where it was feasible--but didn't happen and sadly it's often to the detriment of character development, ratings and simply moving forward.

I can't speak specifically to that incident, as I wasn't involved with that show. But my experience has been it's not so much the old boy's network [[actually, the daytime divisions of most networks were being run by women at that point) or conscious hating. More of an apathy that became harder and harder to penetrate. I mean, I never heard an edict from the network that we couldn't put black men with white women or play an interracial couple. But I think the failure of Generations - which was a bi-racial show both in front of and behind the cameras and a grand experiment - made it easier for the networks to justify not putting black people front and center. [[Well, it was there and nobody watched so...)

Side note and credit where it's due: When Claire Labine came on to headwrite GH, she promptly created a black family - the Wards - and connected them to the Quartermaines. That kept them on the front burner for years. Eventually, through regime changes, they disappeared but she did do that and the network didn't object.