[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mary,.
    Definitely a major milestone for the resurgence of good music. I'll be watching this closely. Keep me up to speed.

You know I will, Ralph. I'm in the PR loop on this, so I get all the info first hand from EMI's Director of Public Relations. He's a good learning source to have, and they appreciate all the promotion Gene and I have done for the album. Gene promotes it in every radio & TV interview he's doing.

~~Mary~~

Here is a great interview with Aaron where he talks about the making of the album, his "doo wop" roots and the great singers like Eugene Pitt [[Jive Five), Bobby Jay [[Teenagers) & Dickie Harmon [[Del-Vikings).

He also sings several songs, including the title song "My True Story" live from Philadelphia's World Cafe.

ENJOY!!

~~~Mary~~~

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/14/171997...-on-world-cafe

Hi Mary...

Please check your Soulful Detroit Mailbox.

Smooth

Hi Smooth,

I responded to your PM and clicked on "submit message". I'm not sure it went through.

~~Mary~~

Hi Mary...

Thank You for your response... Much appreciated.

Smooth

As both a doo-wop and Aaron Neville fan, I'm looking forward to hearing this album! Great to hear from you, Mary!!

Best,

Mark

Hi Smooth,

I'm glad it went through. I'm not use to the PM system here yet.

~~Mary~~

Hello Mark,

So good to hear from you! I have no doubt you'll like the album. You can listen to the songs at Amazon.com. Aaron stays true to the original songs, but puts his unique spin on them with his wonderful falsetto voice.

Maybe we could get some of the old trivia games going again in the Clubhouse?? I'm "game" if you are.

~~Mary~~

~~~MEDIA ALERT****

Aaron Neville will be on The Late Show with David Letterman TOMORROW NIGHT February 18. Aaron will be singing "Gypsy Woman" from his hit album "MY TRUE STORY".

~~Mary~~

Thanks for the heads up. Just set my DVR to record it.

All this talk about Jive Five made me do a search on YouTube and found a live version of Eugene from twenty years ago, that I have never seen. They sound great

Hello milven,

You're most welcome.

Yes, Eugene & The Jive Five still sound great. Many fans say Eugene sounds the same as he did back in the '60's. He hasn't lost a thing. If anything, his voice is richer now. Currently, Gene is working on a gospel album with his two brothers from the Jive Five - Frank & Herbert - and two other singers.

They're still performing to sold out crowds today and their next gig is April 6th.

Keith Richards knew Gene still had his voice because he had seen them recently on TV, and that's one of the reasons he suggested him for the Aaron Neville project.

There are lots of Jive Five videos on youtube, some from relatively recent performances. We have a couple of very recent performance videos available for show promoters, but they're not posted on youtube.

~~Mary~~

I have heard nothing but good things about this. Havent had a chance to check it out, but I will real soon.

Hi MM,

You're right. This album has received excellent reviews everywhere. I know you will enjoy it. You can see Aaron sing "Gypsy Woman" on The Late Show with David Letterman tonight.

~~Mary~~

Hi Mary...

Gene working on a Gospel Project sounds Interesting!

Please check your Soulful Detroit Private Message Mailbox.

Abraham Smooth Wilson

Hi Smooth,

I responded to your PM.

Yes, Gene and his brothers are going back to their roots with the gospel album. Their father was a member of the Golden Gate Quartet when he was in high school in Virginia. Gene and his siblings made up two gospel groups when they were youngsters and sang in churches all over NYC.

Gene has written all the songs for the album and they're in the rehearsal stage now. I've heard several of the songs and they sound great to me.

~~Mary~~

Hi Mary...

Thank you for the PM...I will follow through.

Your Response and Professionalism are sincerely appreciated.

Abraham Smooth Wilson

Hi Smooth,

You're most welcome. I just talked with Gene again a little bit ago and told him about your PM. He's looking forward to your package.

~~Mary~~

Hi Mary

It is on it's way Today.
    Thank you!

Abraham Smooth Wilson

Cool Beans, Smooth.

I know he's looking forward to it.

~~Mary~~

For those of you who missed Aaron singing "Gypsy Woman" on Letterman last night. It's the best of his TV performances so far IMHO. The PBS Special to air March 2nd will be the best of them all. Eugene Pitt is featured in the PBS Special.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by JIVE FIVE Mary G. View Post

There's a PBS Special coming up in March they taped at the Brooklyn Bowl. I'll be putting up a thread about that soon.

~~Mary~~
    In NYC area, it will be on PBS Channel 13 at 9 p.m. this Saturday

CBS Sunday News previewed a profile of him for next Sunday.

Hi milven & Jerry,

Both of you are correct.

The PBS Special is scheduled to air beginning this Saturday March 2nd, and people should check their local PBS listings.

The CBS Sunday Morning feature on Aaron has been in the works since the taping of the PBS Special in November at the Brooklyn Bowl. Word from J.R.Rich, PR Director for EMI is CBS will confirm on Friday of this week it will be aired this Sunday March 3rd. He asked nothing be posted until CBS confirms, however, it looks like a sure thing. CBS taped part of the feature at The Brooklyn Bowl. [[That's why you haven't seen me post the news yet about CBS Sunday Morning.)

I can tell you, both shows will be well worth viewing and should bring good attention to Aaron and the album "My True Story". The album is already a hit and proving there's a market out there for some great classic songs and artists.

~~Mary~~
    Last edited by JIVE FIVE Mary G.; 02-24-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Remind me to watch it, Mary!

S.S.

I'd be happy to, S.S.. I'll post confirmation of the feature for CBS Sunday Morning on Friday and people can check their local PBS listings for the PBS Special now, which begins airing this Saturday March 2nd.

~~Mary~~

Here's the info on two TV shows ...

AARON NEVILLE FEATURED ON CBS SUNDAY MORNING MARCH 3RD
    PBS CONCERT SPECIAL PREMIERES BEGINNING MARCH 2ND
    *Aaron Neville & Anthony Mason in New Orleans * PBS concert taping / Photo by C. Taylor Crothers

[[February 28, 2013) – Multiple Grammy Award-winning artist Aaron Neville will be featured on CBS Sunday Morning on March 3rd. Journalist Anthony Mason visited Neville at the famous Electric Lady Studios in New York City for an in-depth interview in the same room that the soul/R&B legend recorded his first Top 10 album and highest charting set ever with his recent release, My True Story. The doo-wop inspired album was released on Blue Note Records and was co-produced by label President Don Was along with Keith Richards. Mason also tagged along with Neville in his hometown of New Orleans for an intimate and unique conversation about the singer’s career in music spanning over 50 years. Starting on March 2nd, PBS will air the special Aaron Neville: Doo Wop: My True Story — a concert filmed in November at New York’s Brooklyn Bowl — throughout their March pledge campaign [[check your local listings). The program features Aaron Neville performing songs from his album My True Story. An incredible array of musicians and guests will join Neville, including: Greg Leisz on guitar [[Beck, Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Ryan Adams), George G. Receli on drums [[Bob Dylan, James Brown), Tony Scherr on bass [[Bill Frisell, Norah Jones, Rufus Wainwright), Charles Neville on saxophone [[Neville Brothers); Michael Goods on piano, Don Was on organ, Joel Katz, David Johnson and Earl Smith, Jr. on background vocals and, finally, special guests Paul Simon and Joan Osbourne. Captured at the Brooklyn Bowl in November 2012, the concert featured special guests including Eugene Pitt of the Jive Five [[who co-wrote the album's title song), and Dickie Harmon from the Del-Vikings. All of the songs on My True Story were hand-picked by Neville himself. They are songs that have remained close to his heart since he was a child. The selections include classics by vocal group giants such as Little Anthony and the Imperials [["Tears on My Pillow"), Hank Ballard and the Midnighters [["Work with Me Annie"), and the Drifters [["Money Honey," "Under the Boardwalk," "This Magic Moment"). To Neville though, these songs weren't just the soundtrack to his youth; they became the underpinning for all of the remarkable music he has created across five decades. ***DVD SCREENER OF PBS SPECIAL FOR REVIEW AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

Critical acclaim for My True Story
    “Neville revisits the music that influenced him as a youth, and his sweet tenor fits these doo-wop-era standards like a glove.” – USA Today
    “A true soul master at work.” – Rolling Stone
    “If ever there was an album that Aaron Neville was born to make, it’s this collection of doo-wop classics.” – People
    “Neville, with his divinely high flutter, was born to croon these romantic ‘50s and ’60s doo-wop and pop-soul standards” – New York Daily News

HELLO MARY G
    As I posted furtherdown on this thread,
    I really like what Aaron has put together.
    It is good that the youth of today hear where it all began.
    We have shared the stage with both, THE JIVE FIVE, BOBBY J.
    Give them my best. good luck with the new CD.
    Our site is under construction,here is a preview of it.
    www.theoriginaltymes.com
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Hello Ceasar,

I just responded to you in the other thread.

Everything that is happening with "My True Story" is exciting. EMI's PR team headed by J.R. Rich has done a bang up job getting the work out and Aaron has done many TV, radio and print promotions for the album. Eugene Pitt has done a slew of radio and print interviews promoting the album as well.

It can't miss and it's a big hit. So much talent on that album, beginning with Aaron, Don Was, Keith Richards, the band, and of course the background singers Eugene Pitt, Bobby Jay and Dickie Harmon. It doesn't get any better.

A REMINDER for everyone~~ The PBS Special "Aaron Neville: Doo Wop: My True Story" begins airing tonight on PBS stations. The NY/NJ area can see it tonight at 9:00 p.m. on Channel 13. It was taped at the Brooklyn Bowl in front of a live audience, and it should please people to see many younger people there. Paul Simon & Joan Osborne guest with Aaron on two songs. Eugene Pitt & Dickie Harmon were two of the background singers for the special.

Tomorrow, everyone can see a feature on Aaron on CBS Sunday Morning. He'll talk about his roots, his career and "My True Story". I know it usually airs from 9- 10:30 a.m. on the East Coast.

Thank you for the kind comments, Ceasar, and I look forward to posting with you again here at SDF. I will check out your website. I'm a fan of the Tymes, too.

~~Mary~~
    Last edited by JIVE FIVE Mary G.; 03-02-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Finally heard this, its great.

Hi MM,

I'm so glad you got to hear the album. That seems to be the concensus. People are loving it and buying the album. It's a good thing for all concerned.

Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

Hello Everyone,

The DVD of the PBS Special "My True Story" is now available for purchase from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7O8HLQ/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

~~Mary~~

Thanks for the heads-up, Mary.

You're most welcome, Ralph.

~~Mary~~

Greetings Mary,
    Hope all is well.
    How are things going with the cd on Aaron.
    Give my regards to Eugene, Bobby.
    You take care.
    Ceasar

Hello Ceasar,

So nice to hear from you. Things are going very well with the album. It's the biggest selling one of Aaron's career, and based on its success, my guess is he will do 3 more like it. I hope so. The songs have been well received during his tour. It's not surprising to me, since it is some of the best music ever made. I'm pleased new audiences and demographics are getting exposed to it.

I know Aaron is touring and Don Was, who co-produced the album with Keith Richards, has just been signed to produce Aretha's new album with Babyface. Keith and The Stones are still touring, so it may be a while before they all get back in the studio. However, they originally recorded 23 songs in 5 days, so Aaron has the makings of a second album minus one song.

I gave your regards to Gene Pitt the other day and he says Hello and best wishes to you. I gave your regards to Bobby Jay yesterday and he sends his regards, too.

I see you and the Tymes have a show coming up and I wish you all the best.

~~Mary~~