[REMOVE ADS]

Jimmy James & The Vagabonds - Come To Me Softly

I remember hearing this in early 1968 around the Philly area. Here are some chart positions from around the U.S. but none showing a Philadelphia station. Nationally it made it to #44 on the R&B chart and #76 on the Pop chart.

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa//cha....php?hsid=1774

And now the song [[I love this one!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CllnAxaFfdw

Does anyone else remember this one?

Oldies

Nobody? Maybe I should have posted this in the Clubhouse with the other songs posted recently. Really, nobody?? haha Too much piano and strings?

Oldies

I remember the track & J J & V's really well.
    Jimmy was born in Jamaica & 1st cut a version of the track there. He then relocated to the UK where the mod / soul club thing was just kicking in. He formed the Vagabonds & they soon became one of the top black soul groups playing the UK club circuit.
    They soon landed a UK record deal with Pye Records & cut an LP 'New Religion'. This included lots of covers of US hits [[by the likes of the Dells, Radiants, Tony Clarke, Miracles) but also included a new version of "Come To Me Softly".
    Their stuff was licensed for US release by Atlanic / Atco.
    In the 70's, Jimmy went disco & [[working in conjunction with Biddu) had some big UK pop hits. He still performs in the UK today.
    It was LP's like 'New Religion' that helped get me turned onto soul & had me out searching for the original US versions of the songs on there by 1966/67.

The original Jamaican version of "Come To Me Softly" .... though the original 45 was released on the WIRL label there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gw0T1TFzZo

Hi Oldiesmusicfan,
    Maybe that's why it sounds so familiar to me. I have it on some compilations and it always sounded familiar. In the mid-sixties I was going to college in Philadelphia and spent to much time listening to music and visiting the Record Museum.