[REMOVE ADS]

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam appreciation thread

This is a group I really liked in the 80's. A bit drum-machined/mechanized out, that was the sound of that time, but I really liked them, catchy hits. This is a fine underrated song here, "Little Jackie Wants to Be a Star" good video, good message on runaways. I like the accoustic guitar here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-g8jkNTxuQ

"I wonder if I take you home" is a classic. I love that song. I like many of their songs. I liked her even more when I saw the video

Lisa had one of those one of a kind voices. She was a lot like some of the lead girl group singers in the Sixties.

Loved that group! Loved their collabs with Full Force. Loved their videos , Lisa's voice, face
    and her ...prominent presence in I Wonder......One of the brightest lights musically of
    the 80's. Without them , Cameo and a few other acts I never would have been able to listen to the radio at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcYzf...tDJlIXmlQMsUvr

This still gives me goosebumps...

That girl can SANG... and I loved all her hits. Great catchy songs. "Can You Feel The Beat" is my fave, she deserved all success that came her way.

There will always be a spot in my heart and memory for Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam. I can remember their song, "I Wonder If I take You Home" on the radio when landed in Philly and getting know South Jersey. The song was hot and it was played everywhere. They, [[Lisa "Lisa Lisa" Velez, Alex "Spanador" Moseley and Mike Hughes) went on to record some very good songs including:

"Let the Beat Hit 'Em"
    "All Cried Out"
    "Head to Toe"
    "Just Get it Together"
    "Lost In Emotion"
    "Someone to Love Me for Me"
    and others. They were a terrific group and somewhat underrated.

Dance music never got much better than this.......this was a JAM!

I remember checking out Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force at a concert back in the '80s, excellent show. One of my favorite songs from the decade was "I Wonder If I Take You Home". I was a bigger fan before they went into the retro-Supremes sound with "Head To Toe" and "Lost In Emotion". However, those songs actually took them from being staples of Urban radio to crossover success.

The last I heard about the lovely Ms. Velez, she was receiving tons of love and due respect at an ALMAs ceremony a few years ago. I was glad to know that she was perceived to be influential among many Latin stars who would follow her.

I forget that I have two of their CDs in my collection. I did also have "Spanish Fly", but I only cared about "Little Jackie Wants To Be A Star", so I ripped the track and sold the CD a decade ago.

I hadn't heard them in a couple of decades until several months ago when I was listening to a radio station in the car and heard "Lost In Emotion".

Back when they were popular, many of the people I was hanging out with were what you might call "rednecks", and they didn't appreciate that group, or much anything else I liked. Later, when "Spanish Fly" came out, my circle of friends changed, and they liked the pop music of the day, but by 1989, they were starting to fizzle out. By then it was all about Nenah Cherry. Remember her? "Buffalo Stance".

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I was a bigger fan before they went into the retro-Supremes sound with "Head To Toe" and "Lost In Emotion".
    Retro Supremes??? No.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I forget that I have two of their CDs in my collection. I did also have "Spanish Fly", but I only cared about "Little Jackie Wants To Be A Star", so I ripped the track and sold the CD a decade ago.

I hadn't heard them in a couple of decades until several months ago when I was listening to a radio station in the car and heard "Lost In Emotion".

Back when they were popular, many of the people I was hanging out with were what you might call "rednecks", and they didn't appreciate that group, or much anything else I liked. Later, when "Spanish Fly" came out, my circle of friends changed, and they liked the pop music of the day, but by 1989, they were starting to fizzle out. By then it was all about Nenah Cherry. Remember her? "Buffalo Stance".
    Yes, Nenah Cherry was fine! Still performs mostly in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Retro Supremes??? No.
    LOL! That was the closest thing people around here could come up with to describe it. I have an aunt who never heard of Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam and she became a huge fan of "Head to Toe" and "Lost in Emotion" because she thought that they sounded like the Supremes. In hindsight, it's not even close [[and I'm not going to cause a headache for Ralph by saying that Lisa Lisa had a much better voice than you-know-who and start a pissing contest).

I think Lisa was in an episode of "Law and Order" years ago -- still looks great. I really liked the group, the sound, her looks ... they sure disappeared too quickly.

It has always bothered me that JLo and Marc Anthony, and Gloria Estefan were always on the forefront of being latin pioneers. Lisa Lisa should be remembered more for her contribution the community. Very talented and had a great sound. She was around before a lot of them were with the exception of obvious choices like Jose Feliciana, Tito Puente and Vicki Carr.

smark21 Guest
    One of my faves: Something About Love