[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Reverend Lee by Roberta Flack

Roberta Flack seems to be selling more CDs recently. Is there a reason? I noticed them on several charts.

Track 1 side 1 on the Chapter 2 album. Now this was back in the early days of F.M. radio. This track was played on college "progressive" stations here in N.Y. , but was popular among the jazz listeners of that time. A deep track cause of the shall we say.......content of the lyrics. One of R.F.s best tracks of the early [[artistic) era.

This was the first track I ever heard by Roberta Flack, and in honesty it's more to my personal taste than her big hits.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Roberta Flack seems to be selling more CDs recently. Is there a reason? I noticed them on several charts.
    Rob, like someone said: "Roberta Flack is just one of those voices." Just the other day, I heard her rare version of When You're Smiling, which was used as the end theme for the Film $.

Recently she was profiled on one of the Sunday morning shows. I think it was on Fox. In any event, maybe that might be a factor.

You will always find one old album by the major artists of the 60's on the various R & B charts around. But when something happens in a career for a long time artist, even if it is just singing at an inauguration, having an operation, receiving a major award, squawking at the President, becoming alternate guardian of Michael Jackson's children or anything that generates a lot of publicity, there is often a momentary spike in sales.

Roberta Flack isn't an artist selling a lot of CDs regularly.......but something caused a spike recently and she showed up with a few entries.

smark21 Guest
    You will always find one old album by the major artists of the 60's on the various R & B charts around. But when something happens in a career for a long time artist, even if it is just singing at an inauguration, having an operation, receiving a major award, squawking at the President, becoming alternate guardian of Michael Jackson's children or anything that generates a lot of publicity, there is often a momentary spike in sales.

Roberta Flack isn't an artist selling a lot of CDs regularly.......but something caused a spike recently and she showed up with a few entries.
    What charts are you looking at? Last week you claim that Diana Ross sales and airplay were exploding in the aftermath of LaScala. Now Roberta Flack’s sales have jumped. How general or specialized is this particular sales measurement tool?

Probably very specialized Smark. Itunes has a lot of charts; CD Universe has lots of charts. And Billboard has lots.

Last week, Roberta Flack showed up on Itunes R & B chart I believe. And I think she is gone now.

Some of those charts are updated very often, like every day.

Generally, if an artist is "trending", there seems to be a boost of some nature.

As for Diana and or the Supremes sales "exploding" over the restaurant story, my frank assessment would be that the only real explosion that happened occurred in the pants of about 4 fans. She got some plays from Stephanie Mills over the restaurant. And probably about 80 more plays across the country and they were mostly Upside Down and Stop in the Name of Love. She got 50 cents more royalties but she still was taking coupons to the grocery store this morning; there were a lot of pictures of that too.

honest man Guest
    [

As for Diana and or the Supremes sales "exploding" over the restaurant story, my frank assessment would be that the only real explosion that happened occurred in the pants of about 4 fans.

OMG thats got to be the best ever response i've read ,Love it Rob, keep them coming,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    [

As for Diana and or the Supremes sales "exploding" over the restaurant story, my frank assessment would be that the only real explosion that happened occurred in the pants of about 4 fans.

OMG thats got to be the best ever response i've read ,Love it Rob, keep them coming,cheers.
    Glad it made you laugh. Laughing is good for all of us.

Damn!! I accidentally closed the page & lost the post that I was writing about this song. I remember this song well & I'm going to rewrite what I was writing & repost it tomorrow.

From where I sit, this was a pretty powerful song & for 1970, one that was pretty shocking to some. I remember a lot of remarks of a lot of church folks made back then & this was definitely a shocking song for many.

More than that, it was & still is a great song that Ms. Flack delivered expertly!