[REMOVE ADS]

Jean Terrell - I Had To Fall In Love LP

I love Jean Terrell's voice and her singing, but was discouraged to find out she only recorded one LP, I Had To Fall In Love. It's available on CD, but I've read a couple of mixed-to-negative reviews of the album. The song "No Limit" is the only song I've heard that appears on the album, which I think is great, but I have it on another CD of mine. What do you others think of the album? Worth buying?

I like most of the songs on the album. It should have been a hit. A&M was behind it. They even had a private promotion party for her in NYC at which she appeared. She was kinda quiet and didn't mingle too much, but she may have just been shy, not aloof.

A&M eventually stopped all promotion on the LP because Jean's new religious beliefs prevented her from promoting the album the way A&M wanted it promoted.

I think any fan of the Seventies Supremes would enjoy this LP.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    I love Jean Terrell's voice and her singing, but was discouraged to find out she only recorded one LP, I Had To Fall In Love. It's available on CD, but I've read a couple of mixed-to-negative reviews of the album. The song "No Limit" is the only song I've heard that appears on the album, which I think is great, but I have it on another CD of mine. What do you others think of the album? Worth buying?
    I really liked the album. I bought it upon release in August 1978. I was a bit taken aback by the country flavored lead single and title track, but overall it is a good if not great album. "Reaching For the Top" and "You've Been So Good For Me" were my favorites.

"No Limit" has been sampled countless times by hip hop artist recently.

"Rising Cost of Love" is one of my fav's. If you're a Jean Terrell fan, I think you'd enjoy it. Sadly, there were no more to come.

"How Can You Live Without Love" off of the L.P. was a regular play on the London "Pirate" Radio Stations in the late '80s/early '90s.

Great tune, and written/produced by the team behind L.T.D.!!

Roger

I bought it upon release in August 1978 also MARV.Those were the times man for music from the new master writers and producers. Bobby Martin ,Len Ron Hanks and Zane Grey ,Jeff Osborne. This album and Eloise Laws album on ABC produced by Jerry Goldstein and Linda Creed [[arranged by Gene Page) were then and now MUST HAVES in your collections.

Alright, friends. That does it. I want it now! Btw, marv2, do you remember any of the hip hop songs that have sampled "No Limit"?

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    I bought it upon release in August 1978 also MARV.Those were the times man for music from the new master writers and producers. Bobby Martin ,Len Ron Hanks and Zane Grey ,Jeff Osborne. This album and Eloise Laws album on ABC produced by Jerry Goldstein and Linda Creed [[arranged by Gene Page) were then and now MUST HAVES in your collections.
    Daddy, yep! I use to walk into Peaches, look around for about a half hour and walk out after buying 5 albums at a time. this was nearly a weekly occurrence for me back in those days!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    Alright, friends. That does it. I want it now! Btw, marv2, do you remember any of the hip hop songs that have sampled "No Limit"?
    Mr. Postman, off the top of my head, but i could go onto Youtube and find dozens of them. For a fast idea of what i am talking about. Go to Youtube and do a search for "Jean Terrell No Limit Sample".

Also try, "jean terrell sample beat"

I liked Rising Cost of Love too but I rarely played it the whole record.. I found it quite mediocre.

I remember telling Mary Wilson that Jean had a solo album coming out,she didn't believe it,when i look back on it now,she[[Mary)) knew Jean better then any of us[[fans),i'm sure if A&M knew about Jean's religious beliefs, they would have never sign her,no matter what,i still like the album I Had To Fall In Love.
    Please Stay Positive

Jean's "Don't Stop Reaching for the Top" is used as the theme music for Steve Harvey's "Hoodie Awards" radio spots.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jean's "Don't Stop Reaching for the Top" is used as the theme music for Steve Harvey's "Hoodie Awards" radio spots.
    I was buying some itunes yesterday and was looking for solo tracks from Jean's 1978 album I found none on itunes so i went to Amazon and discovered they had three copies left of the "I Had to Fall in Love" on an Import on CD and i ordered it for $10.78 they now have two left. So I will be rejoicing in playing it once again with many favorites especially the lead track which went to #72 on the r&b chart dsrftt and rising cost of love, change up, How Can you live without love,, no limit, and my favorite No one like my baby.

There are also about three more tracks that Bobby Martin produced on Jean Terrell that can be purchased to round out the album. I liked some of the album, but not the whole thing. Same thing with Mary Wilson's debut for Motown. I think I only liked two or three tracks from it.