[REMOVE ADS]

Love On a Two Way Street

Until today, I had never heard of Lezli Valentine. Apparently she recorded Love On a Two Street for Platinum/Stang Records before the Moments, but the single generated no buzz and went to a fast grave. According to Wikipedia, Ms Valentine actually wrote the song. With things being what they were in the 60s, as a woman she received no credit for that task. With Sylvia Robinson owning the record label and publishing company, she was able to claim credit along with Bert Keyes. Ms Valentine contends that Sylvia changed or added only one sentence to the original composition. Ms Valentine reports that she never received any royalties for the song.

For your listening pleasure, Lezli Vanentine's version of Love On a Two Way Street is presented here. The arrangement is a good one and the voice isn't bad either.

Great find, nabob. I like her voice as well and dig the strings in the arrangement.

I actually like Stacey Lattislaw's version the best, though of course The Moments' version is awesome. I'll listen to this one.

The song is so incredible it's really hard to mess up.

Lezli Valentine was a member of the Jaynetts. Remember, "Sally Go 'Round the Roses"?

Thanks for sharing, I do love this version and the arrangement of strings.

I prefer Stacey's version. Now that I have heard Lezli's version, I think that it is better than the Moments version.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 01-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Lezli indeed made the original version of Love On A Two-Way Street, as well as the original version of I Won't Do Anything, later cut The Moments.

I always address Lezli as "The Original" in our correspondence & she's a very sweet woman. You can look her up on Facebook & if you're a friend, tell her that Juice sent you

Lezli indeed made the original version of Love On A Two-Way Street, as well as the original version of I Won't Do Anything, later cut The Moments.

I always address Lezli as "The Original" in our correspondence & she's a very sweet woman. You can look her up on Facebook & if you're a friend, tell her that Juice sent you

I asked this once before and I don't think anyone responded...which of the Moments sings lead on "Love On a Two-Way Street"?

Best,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark speck View Post
    I asked this once before and I don't think anyone responded...which of the Moments sings lead on "Love On a Two-Way Street"?
    According to Wikipedia:
    After three of the four original members of The Moments had left All Platinum, Billy Brown rerecorded a new lead-vocal track of "Love On A Two Way Street". The song had originally been recorded by Stang artist Lezli Valentine, but failed to chart; The Moments' version [[produced by Sylvia Robinson) was originally included as a filler cut on their first LP [[released in 1969) entitled Not On The Outside...But On The Inside, Strong! Early in 1970 it was remixed, issued as a single and reached the #1 R&B spot for five weeks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray,_Goodman_%26_Brown

It never ceases to amaze me that "filler" songs sometimes become artists' signature records. If I'm correct, Johnny Kemp's "Just Got Paid" and Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" were among the last to be added to their respective albums' track lists and both wound up being their biggest releases.

I saw Luther Vandross several times and one of the best moments [[no pun intended) was when Kevin 'Ray' Owens sang Love On a Two Way Street.

As for filler songs, one of the greatest singles that never was, Born to Love You by the Temptations.
    Last edited by MotownSteve; 01-10-2013 at 11:22 PM.

If I'm remembering right it was Billy Brown who sang lead on Love On A Two Way Street...
    Anyway, though the Moments version remains my favorite, I do like Lezli's. I have her also
    on her recordings with Hamilton Bohannon. She had almost Minnie Riperton's range. Too bad she never had Minnie's sucess...

Great version that deserved a better fate. I had no idea the Moments wasn't the original.

I'm here to take back what I said about Lezli's singing. Though she did work with Bohannon
    it was Liz Lands who I was hearing in my head when I talked about vocal range. In my best
    Gildan Radner voice via SNL skits:
    NEVERMIND.......