[REMOVE ADS]

Question about "Guarantee [[For A Lifetime)" by Mary Wells

I'm stumped as to who is singing background vocals on this recording.
    It was recorded on 09/13/62 according to the liner notes for Mary's latest compilation "Something New." So it could be the Andantes, Supremes or Vandellas. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I'm stumped as to who is singing background vocals on this recording.
    It was recorded on 09/13/62 according to the liner notes for Mary's latest compilation "Something New." So it could be the Andantes, Supremes or Vandellas. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks so much.
    I believe Motony or someone else on the forum said Martha Reeves said it was the Vandellas.

It is Martha and her Vandellas, Rosalind is very prominent in the background

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    It is Martha and her Vandellas, Rosalind is very prominent in the background
    Thought so. I like the song too - especially the background vocals.

Thanks everyone! I really think the Vandellas were the best female background vocalists Motown ever had.
    Last edited by mowest; 01-02-2013 at 10:33 PM.

There is a newer mix of that great track on the new Mary Wells CD from HipoSelect. During the fade Mary, obviously running out of adlibs sings, "my names in Mary." LOL Love it

correction, "My name is Mary"

RossHolloway Guest
    I think it's a really nice song. So many gems on this new Mary Wells set.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  21.1 KB
    I certainly don't hear Martha AT ALL.

im with you Rob on this one...these kind of threads always make me laugh...people get into all kinds of spats over who had the most soulful voice and who had the weakest voice at motown...yet its pretty clear who's singing the backing on this one and folks now cant tell the difference!!!!!

Views: 294
    Actually, the backing girls don't sound like The Vandellas, Andantes or Supremes. Maybe it's an ad-hoc concoction? [[Linda Griner, Miss Ray and Sheree Taylor?)

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Actually, the backing girls don't sound like The Vandellas, Andantes or Supremes. Maybe it's an ad-hoc concoction? [[Linda Griner, Miss Ray and Sheree Taylor?)
    Now I'm really confused! How about it Andy, Harry, George? Any insights?

I always liked that record.

I have no clue, either.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    The background singers almost sound "too good" to be a "thrown-together-for-one-session" type of group, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    The background singers almost sound "too good" to be a "thrown-together-for-one-session" type of group, don't you think?
Views: 229
    I don't know if that reasoning can be used, as several ad hoc background aggregations that Berry, Smokey and Mickey used in known, documented recording sessions sounded cohesive and very good. Of course, I was being facetious with the particular 3 I proposed. But we know of several cases in which stray members of groups fit in well together with other stray Motown artists, and they sounded very "together".

In any case, I don't recognise the voices of this group as The Andantes, Vandellas, Supremes, Marvelettes or Velvelettes. Maybe they were The "Paulettes" or The "Beljeans" or The "Darnells"[[from Ontario) or Ann Bogan and Her Challengers III?

Interesting just how some information, or an idea, can be so persuasive on the mind.

I've always thought [[assumed?) it WAS The Vandellas.

I believe I hear Martha, not perhaps as strongly as on other recordings, but particularly on the words 'love' and 'lifetime'.

Then, when I listen again, I'm not quite so sure, and start thinking of a combination of Vandella and Andante members!

In the large scale of things, it's not so important of course - and never was - but interest and curiosity in the listener do make for a very heady combination...