[REMOVE ADS]

Miss Patti Page has passed.

Miss Tennessee Walz passed away at 85. She is now with her Lord and Savior in the Heavenly Fathers mansion.

http://www.usnews.com/news/entertain...age-dies-at-85

God be with you Miss Page and thank you for the music.

Roberta

Sorry to learn this, Roberta. A talented singer that was definitely in influence in my early music days.

I don't have any of her music in my database. I'll have to correct that if I like what I hear.

Though a bit before my time, I definitely knew of her while growing up as a 60s child.

Despite all of her music, there's one that really reached out & grabbed me when I discovered it about 10 years ago. I don't know whether it's the chord structure, the throwback arrangement or what. But there's such a wistful, melancholy feel to the song that evokes memories of distant days & can damn near bring a lump to my throat.

I can't find the recorded version, so I guess that this live version will have to do. But I believe that it lacks the power of the recording. What really surprised me when I first heard it was the fact that it was written by Leiber/Stoller who were behind all of those great hits by The Coasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l8er...9885C&index=30

I must admit that whether I was a huge fan of her music or not, she represents memories of my 1960s childhood when my grandmother would watch shows like Hollywood Palace, The Ed Sullivan Show or any variety show that featured music in the vein that Patti sang.

R.I.P. Ms. Page. My condolences to her family, friends & fans.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 01-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Juice,

If memory serves, this is the hit version -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VscV...D9763EE789885C

R.I.P.

Oldies

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Though a bit before my time, I definitely knew of her while growing up as a 60s child.

Despite all of her music, there's one that really reached out & grabbed me when I discovered it about 10 years ago. I don't know whether it's the chord structure, the throwback arrangement or what. But there's such a wistful, melancholy feel to the song that evokes memories of distant days & can damn near bring a lump to my throat.

I can't find the recorded version, so I guess that this live version will have to do. But I believe that it lacks the power of the recording. What really surprised me when I first heard it was the fact that it was written by Leiber/Stoller who were behind all of those great hits by The Coasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l8er...9885C&index=30

I must admit that whether I was a huge fan of her music or not, she represents memories of my 1960s childhood when my grandmother would watch shows like Hollywood Palace, The Ed Sullivan Show or any variety show that featured music in the vein that Patti sang.

R.I.P. Ms. Page. My condolences to her family, friends & fans.
    That was Peggy Lee, not Patti Page. Peggy was a great singer, too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ek3eCbfqp0
    Last edited by blueskies; 01-02-2013 at 05:51 PM.

....rest in peace, Patti....you were deeply loved and you will never leave my heart for this....
    thank you....
    http://youtu.be/s6mdiFvyqCc

Oldies,

Thank you & a very Happy New Year to you & yours. As Blueskies pointed out, I got my grand ladies mixed up & for the life of me, I don't know how I made such a bone-headed error!

Thanks again Oldies. That's indeed the version that I've come to love!

Blueskies,

Thank you for the correction. For some reason, perhaps through some similarity in their styles [[though Miss Page more Country/Western flavor), I've always seemed to get these two grand dames mixed up.

Perhaps it was thinking back to my grandmother watching all of those variety shows so long ago that's to blame, but truthfully, there's really no excuse for making such an error where we pride ourselves on accuracy.

Thanks again for the correction & I'm sure gonna have to do better than this in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I don't have any of her music in my database. I'll have to correct that if I like what I hear.

I like her recording of Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. The movie is camp fun too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyYMXjmzjwQ
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-02-2013 at 08:42 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Here’s an obit on Patti Page. I love her recording of Tennessee Waltz. She was noted as one of the first singers to use double tracking to sing both lead and background vocals.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-s...ti-page,90376/

Another one of her notable recordings is With My Eyes Wide Open I’m Dreaming. Natalie Cole covered this song on her 2000 album Snowfall on the Sahara. Here’s Page’s version.

This is sad news, but not unexpected. I was a terrific fan of The Singing Rage, Miss Patti Page. A few weeks ago in a thread in the Motown Forum, it mentioned that the Temptations were getting the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. It also mentioned that Patti Page was going to get one. I went off topic and wrote this :
    As a Motown fan, I'm glad that the Temps are finally acknowledged, saddened that the Supremes are consistently passed over, sad that Ravi passed and can not accept his honor, and ecstatic that Miss Patti Page finally got recognized by the Grammies. Her peek years spanned the era from big band through rock and roll. She had fifteen million selling songs.
    When rock & roll music became popular during the second half of the 1950s, Patti was one of the few traditional pop music singers to continue to thrive.

She was on one the PBS specials five years ago and was about 79 or eighty already. She sounded and looked terrific. Gives us hope for our current aging divas. Here's a clip, which may seem out of place on the SDF board, but some of us love all kinds of music.

This past weekend I went to an off Broadway show called FLIPSIDE, THE PATTI PAGE STORY. I enjoyed it tremendously, but it was only ninety minutes with music and did not devote enough time to her story which was fascinating. She was the first person to overdub music, she sold about 100 million records, her signature hit, Tennessee Waltz was actually the flip side of a long forgotten Christmas record. As I watched the play, I knew that I wanted to know more. When I got home, I ordered her biography on Amazon.

I saw the closing performance of FlIPSIDE, THE PATTI PAGE STORY. Little did I know at the time that I was literally watching the final performance of the Patti Page story. She had a stunning career and I am glad to see that many people here also appreciate her talent Rest in Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Blueskies,

Thank you for the correction. For some reason, perhaps through some similarity in their styles [[though Miss Page more Country/Western flavor), I've always seemed to get these two grand dames mixed up.

Perhaps it was thinking back to my grandmother watching all of those variety shows so long ago that's to blame, but truthfully, there's really no excuse for making such an error where we pride ourselves on accuracy.

Thanks again for the correction & I'm sure gonna have to do better than this in the future!
    Oh don't worry juice....I'm old and wacked out most of the time....where's that bedpan?

I loved her as a young child from Doggie in the Window! Man she is a National Treasure.
    We will miss her.

RIP Patti Page. A lady with class and elegance.

My late wife
    Cecilia really liked
    Patti Page.

But she had this funny take on her
    Tennessee Waltz.

"If you lost your love on the Tennessee Waltz,
    he wasn't that good to begin with, so no loss"

edafan

I liked the obit that was published in the NY Times. I thought it summed up her career and appeal pretty well. Patti Page was one of those singers whose music crossed demographic boundaries. She didn't offend people. She kept her personal views on race and politics to herself. We don't know what she did in her private life which is how it should be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/ar...t-85.html?_r=0

Ms. Page was truly an icon and remembered seeing her on the PBS special and she looked and sounded fantastic. Rest in Peace Ms. Page.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    My late wife
    Cecilia really liked
    Patti Page.

But she had this funny take on her
    Tennessee Waltz.

"If you lost your love on the Tennessee Waltz,
    he wasn't that good to begin with, so no loss"

edafan
    I've always had the same take on "Since I Fell For You" [[a song I love). The line "You made me leave my happy home" always makes me think "Couldn't have been that happy if you left in the first place".

I grew up in the inner city far from the beautiful images that a song like “Old Cape Cod” evokes. But from my earliest recollections of this song it did indeed evoke images and a longing for a place I’d never been. Such is the power of music and of a great interpreter of lyrics and Patti Page was that. I grew up liking her music, but thought of it as oldies, my mother’s music. But in 1965 when I was listening to pretty much nothing but Motown, through the din of the Funk Brothers and all those fabulous Motown vocalists came the sweet but somewhat eerie strains of “Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte”. I loved it on first listen and my own appreciation of Patti Page grew from there. She’s been in my collection since. She had a good, long run. Rest in peace, Patti Page, and Thank You for the music.