[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Cheryl lynn

Cheryl lynn

Where is she? She had one of the best debut albums for a female singer ever produced by Toto. She had some other hits for Columbia, changed labels and kinda disappeared from the radar. She's unfairly labelled as Disco, but she could do more. Got To Be Real is still used in commercials, films and is heard regularly on oldies soul radio. Did she ever marry? Is she doing something else? What's the deal? Whatever happened to Toto?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoXvDleWJ5U
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 12-28-2012 at 10:36 AM.

The last time that I saw Cheryl Lynn was on the Sinbad Summer Jam from 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    What's the deal? Whatever happened to Toto?
    Toto is still making albums. Their legendary drummer, Jeff Porcaro, died back in 1992.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Porcaro

Toto! Talk about a versatile band! They did so much as primarily studio musicians. Who would have thought these guys would play such a prominent role in R&B music after their first hit single "Hold The Line"? They played on The Brothers Johnson records, Michael Jackson records, and Boz Scaggs's records.

Cheryl Lynn? I have found her work at Columbia to be somewhat spotty, but she is one of the finest voiced in pop music.

She appeared on a David Foster PBS special not too long ago, singing GOT TO BE REAL.

After GOT TO BE REAL, I think my favorite recording of hers was ENCORE, produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Her duet with Luther on IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE was good as well.

I remember going to see her back in the 90s at a New Year's Eve gig. She was billed as "The Legendary Cheryl Lynn." She had lost a great deal of weight, and sounded great. But her show was a bit anti-climatic, as she sang to track. Plus she followed a very good set by the Tavares who performed with a full band.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She appeared on a David Foster PBS special not too long ago, singing GOT TO BE REAL.

After GOT TO BE REAL, I think my favorite recording of hers was ENCORE, produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Her duet with Luther on IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE was good as well.

I remember going to see her back in the 90s at a New Year's Eve gig. She was billed as "The Legendary Cheryl Lynn." She had lost a great deal of weight, and sounded great. But her show was a bit anti-climatic, as she sang to track. Plus she followed a very good set by the Tavares who performed with a full band.

Thanks guys. Great information.
    Soulster, I forgot Jeff Porcaro had passed on.
    Reese, I saw that David Foster tribute and forgot Cheryl Lynn was on it. Foster had something to do with Got to be Real, right? About her billing at that New Year's gig, I can believe the "legendary" thing.
    My dad says he interviewed Cheryl Lynn back in 1984. She was promoting It's Gotta Be Right and my dad said it was the usual phone interview. BUT Cheryl had someone answer the phone and they introduced her: " And now Miss. Cheryl Lynn..." [[over the phone) before she got on the line to chat with my dad. He says he thought that was so unusual. Because most other artists didn't do that.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 12-28-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Thanks guys. Great information.
    Soulster, I forgot Jeff Porcaro had passed on.
    Reese, I saw that David Foster tribute and forgot Cheryl Lynn was on it. Foster had something to do with Got to be Real, right? About her billing at that New Year's gig, I can believe the "legendary" thing.
    My dad says he interviewed Cheryl Lynn back in 1984. She was promoting It's Gotta Be Right and my dad said it was the usual phone interview. BUT Cheryl had someone answer the phone and they introduced her: " And now Miss. Cheryl Lynn..." [[over the phone) before she got on the line to chat with my dad. He says he thought that was so unusual. Because most other artists didn't do that.
    David Foster was one of the writers of GOT TO BE REAL.

At one point I heard she was living in Japan and more recently California.